IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Official Hijack your Rear Camera Input HOW TO DIY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-07, 03:45 PM
Tuxlex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you flip the switch back to normal, you will see your
position somewhere off of the road. This lasts for about
10 to 15 seconds until the GPS signal corrects your position.
I've noticed that this happens when you drive for say 1/2 mile
or further at highway speeds with the backup switch activated.
It's not a big problem since it will always correct itself based
on new GPS data. However, if you are under voice navigation
this could be a big problem.

To eliminate this behavior, you have to isolate the
backup signal that you artificaly send to the multi display by
cutting another wire and connecting it up to a second set of switch
contacts or a relay. To put it another way, the vehicle backup
signal will not be passed through the multi display on it's way
to the navigation unit. The vehicle backup signal wire has to be sent
directly to the navigation unit bypassing the multi display. You can
then activate the backup wire going to the multi display artificialy
without the navigation unit seeing it.

Last edited by Tuxlex; 02-03-07 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-03-07, 06:42 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

what type of switches do you need for this intercept? DPDT? SPST? or SPDT or does it not matter?
Old 02-03-07, 09:32 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Tuxlex you are correct, I guess I never really paid attention, but the NAV thinks you're going backwards when the rear camera is activated. Now too big of a deal for me since I don't use this hack much and if I do I'm not using the NAV.
Old 02-04-07, 07:36 AM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

i posted this in the other thread but ill post it here also;
alright well im half way there. I installed the backup camera switch and it worked!! Only thing was it took about 5 hours to do everything (2-3 trips to radioshack) and the only reason we didnt finish was because radioshack gave us 1 wrong switch. What kind of switches are needed to power the connection to the ps2? DPDT? DPST? SPST? does it even matter?

also, why do you need a seperate switch for the ground? couldnt you just ground the rca wire to a perminent ground instead of tapping in to the J51 CGND?

the other thing is; with installing the backup camera switch,
you DONT NEED THE RELAY.
Just buy a SPDT switch and solder the power to the top, the HU side of the blue wire to the MIDDLE and the other blue wire to the bottom.

Worked like a charm!!!!
Old 02-04-07, 03:42 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nicelex13
i posted this in the other thread but ill post it here also;
alright well im half way there. I installed the backup camera switch and it worked!! Only thing was it took about 5 hours to do everything (2-3 trips to radioshack) and the only reason we didnt finish was because radioshack gave us 1 wrong switch. What kind of switches are needed to power the connection to the ps2? DPDT? DPST? SPST? does it even matter?

also, why do you need a seperate switch for the ground? couldnt you just ground the rca wire to a perminent ground instead of tapping in to the J51 CGND?

the other thing is; with installing the backup camera switch,
you DONT NEED THE RELAY.
Just buy a SPDT switch and solder the power to the top, the HU side of the blue wire to the MIDDLE and the other blue wire to the bottom.

Worked like a charm!!!!
i'm not sure if you can permanently ground the video signal. you can just try while the dash is apart and see if it works. let us know!
Old 02-04-07, 05:41 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

its just kinda weird that you need a whole seperate switch just for the ground wire. Its not like you would necessarly need to "depower" the CGND signal...ill try it tomorrow; but do you know what kinda switches are needed?
Old 02-05-07, 02:50 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

i just used a regular switch (http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45) and a DPDT relay for the video. i went this route because the switch looks OEM and fits in the holes w/ some minor shaving....
Old 02-05-07, 11:41 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

got the whole thing done tonight...PS2 in the ride!!! the ps doesnt fit very well in the glovebox...the power wire is slightly too big to sit flush against the back but hopefully tomorrow i can get it right...best mod ever!
Old 02-06-07, 09:47 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nicelex13
got the whole thing done tonight...PS2 in the ride!!! the ps doesnt fit very well in the glovebox...the power wire is slightly too big to sit flush against the back but hopefully tomorrow i can get it right...best mod ever!
let me know if you figure out a way to do the mount. i gotta do the same as well... mine's just lying in the glovebox right now.
Old 02-24-07, 01:24 AM
Letz250
Pole Position

Question

OK, I did the manual activation thing by triggering 12V to pin 13 on the J50 connector (blue wire), but the screen doesn´t switch to the rear cam. When going to reverse, the cam image shows up even with the blue wire unconnected and on the wireloom side (coming from JQ1) I measure the correct 12V signal. When driving with activated switch, nav shows the backwards jumping issue, so I suppose my connections (crimped) are ok.
Did I forget or oversee anything? I have the ML version. I don´t think that our european cars are wired differently because the NAV/bluetooth/mp3... and DVD hacks work great!
Old 02-24-07, 02:18 PM
Jaapski
Driver School Candidate

In a couple of the rear camera hijack is being installed on my car. If it works it will mean European cars are no different from the US versions. It's being done by a car customiser who does all the work for the local Lexus dealer, so they should know what they're doing. I'll post when it works (or when it don't)
Old 02-25-07, 06:49 AM
Letz250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jaapski
In a couple of the rear camera hijack is being installed on my car. If it works it will mean European cars are no different from the US versions. It's being done by a car customiser who does all the work for the local Lexus dealer, so they should know what they're doing. I'll post when it works (or when it don't)
Thanks a lot, I' m looking forward to the result!
Old 02-27-07, 04:50 PM
TripleDES
Pole Position

I wonder if this works on the RX??
Old 03-03-07, 04:42 AM
Jaapski
Driver School Candidate

Rear camera has been Hijacked a couple of days ago.

It seems there's a difference between the US IS models and the European. The schedules that I found in this thread were different from my car. The video input from the rear camera went into some sort of control box and then to the ML nav system. This might have to do with the park assistance (colored guide lines that react on the position of the steering wheel). I don't know if this is on the US models as well.

The guys over at SchutCarSystems (Arnhem - Netherlands) went back to the Lexus dealer to get schedules and eventually made it work. Couple of things though:
- the image quality is black and white with some interference. This might have to do with NTSC/PAL video format, we're looking at that.
- The park assistance is projected through the image (this is no problem for me though)

I've added an image below, I had my videocamera connected.

Originally Posted by Tuxlex
When you flip the switch back to normal, you will see your
position somewhere off of the road. This lasts for about
10 to 15 seconds until the GPS signal corrects your position.
I've noticed that this happens when you drive for say 1/2 mile
or further at highway speeds with the backup switch activated.
It's not a big problem since it will always correct itself based
on new GPS data. However, if you are under voice navigation
this could be a big problem.
I tried switching to the new video input while driving, but the switch does not infuence the GPS position.
Attached Thumbnails Official Hijack your Rear Camera Input HOW TO DIY!!!-small-ml-display.jpg  
Old 03-03-07, 03:43 PM
Letz250
Pole Position

Well, that seems to be more complicated to realize than the hack on the US cars. I suppose those guys didn't give you any diagrams how they did it.
In that case, I think, I have to contact my dealer and hope to get either the diagrams or let them do it. Image quality would be alright for me too even with the lines in. So the image on your photo was actually taken with an external camera through an AUX-video input and not with the backup cam of the car?

Quick Reply: Official Hijack your Rear Camera Input HOW TO DIY!!!