IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paint Blemish/Bubbling - Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-06, 04:10 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Blemish/Bubbling - Anyone else?

Well, on my 3rd attempt at fixing my non-flush spoiler install, I have another appointment tomorrow at my dealer.

In addition, today after a car wash I noticed a sweet blemish by the gas tank lid. Just beneath it looks as if about a quarter-sized area rusted, bubbled and was painted over. I know that didn't happen, but thats what it looks like.

What the heck could this be from? I sure hope they just have to buff it out or something, I'm not digging a possible repaint. I already had the trunk repainted.

Man, Longo is sure as hell not coming through on service I tell you what.
Old 11-21-06, 04:20 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Can you post a picture of the damage?
Old 11-21-06, 04:27 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

I'm trying - I just get reflections of stuff in the paint, so its not helpful.
Old 11-26-06, 11:47 AM
mattssi
Pole Position

..Just in case anyone was watching - I took it to the dealer and they need the district manager to look at it next week to make a decision on what to do sine it may require a repaint.

This is the worst ownership experience I've had. In the process of replacing the spoiler (for the 3rd time), the tech scratched the trunk which now needs to be repainted also. GDSOB
Old 11-26-06, 12:26 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

I had something similar in about the same location.. It looked like rust colored marks under the clearcoat. I found a TSB on this problem. I can email you the TSB if you want. So lemme know if it will help
Old 11-27-06, 03:44 PM
aldunham
Driver School Candidate

I have the same thing on my '07 IS250. It's about 10 little bubbles directly below the gas filler door. My assumption is that some gas splashed out (despite my ever-so-careful efforts) and bubbled the paint. From what I hear, there is no clearcoat. So the paint must be AWFULLY delicate! I'm taking it in for service on 12/9. I'll see what they say. But I'd sure like the quick synopsis of what the TSB says.
Old 11-27-06, 04:31 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by aldunham
I have the same thing on my '07 IS250. It's about 10 little bubbles directly below the gas filler door. My assumption is that some gas splashed out (despite my ever-so-careful efforts) and bubbled the paint. From what I hear, there is no clearcoat. So the paint must be AWFULLY delicate! I'm taking it in for service on 12/9. I'll see what they say. But I'd sure like the quick synopsis of what the TSB says.
Where do people get the idea that there is no clearcoat?

All of the IS colors, even black, are clearcoated.
Old 11-27-06, 05:11 PM
Jamesq
Driver School Candidate

See my thread "Paint Issues "Pebble Finish" Blue Onyx Paint Defect"?? They're replacing my 2006 IS350 with a 2007 IS350 later in December. I have about 5500 miles on it.
Old 11-27-06, 06:38 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

I will check that out right now...

On the TSB, here is the link. Seems a little different than what I have, but close enough... http://www.mattssi.com/paintstains.pdf
Old 11-30-06, 07:07 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

The dealer "approved" a re-paint of the quarter panel.

I also received a call form guest satisfaction and left a VM with them today. We'll see what becomes of this!
Old 12-02-06, 10:25 AM
mattssi
Pole Position

I got approval (again) for paint, now they will have my car until WEDNESDAY!~!?!??!

Since it was in the shop, I asked if they could paint the chrome trim around the grille. A few hours later, I am told they can not paint chrome?!?!?

GOD DAMN I HATE LONGO!
Old 12-02-06, 10:44 AM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mattssi

Since it was in the shop, I asked if they could paint the chrome trim around the grille. A few hours later, I am told they can not paint chrome?!?!?

GOD DAMN I HATE LONGO!
The grill is not real chrome...it is made of plastic. It is very difficult to paint that type of finish and ensure durability...it most likely will peel or crack as it flexes (because it is plastic) when you wash/wipe it. Also difficult to have paint adhere to such a smooth surface. End result may cause you to be unhappy...maybe the dealer did you a favor on this one.
Old 12-02-06, 11:40 AM
mattssi
Pole Position

Ahh. It's just that I see a lot of them on online here painted and its sweet, so I know its doable. Lots of prep work I guess.
Old 12-02-06, 03:05 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I have a tiny brown stain by the gas cap/lid thingy as well..I thought it was oil at first, but then I tried wiping..and wiping..and wiping to no avail. I think i wiped a hole into my car.
Old 12-02-06, 03:12 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
I have a tiny brown stain by the gas cap/lid thingy as well..I thought it was oil at first, but then I tried wiping..and wiping..and wiping to no avail. I think i wiped a hole into my car.
I have had the EXACT same thing since day #2 of ownership.. Service advisor said that it was caused by tree sap left sitting on the paint which in turn caused the clearcoat to bubble... yea made no sense to me either.. Anyways I found a TSB on something similar, but by the time I got the TSB and the free time to go to lexus my "spot" has become almost un-noticable.. I sent the TSB to OP, if he didn't post it on here then I can email you it if it'll help

Quick Reply: Paint Blemish/Bubbling - Anyone else?