Call for new 2IS FAQ nominations and discussion of adding sub-forums

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-06, 03:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Default Call for new 2IS FAQ nominations and discussion of adding sub-forums

Topic 1: FAQ

If you haven't read the 2IS FAQ click here.

I'm taking nominations for links / threads that are not already listed that you have found most helpful, or you see being asked over and over again.

If you recall & have multiple links for the same question, please post them and I'll merge the threads and use the new link for the FAQ.

You must post a URL in order to nominate a thread for the FAQ.... Sorry I don't have time to search for posts 'you kinda remember' right now if you can't link it here.

Topic 2: SUB FORUMS
Now that the aftermarket is starting to grow for the 2IS, I'm inclined to add sub forums similar to what we have for other enthusiast-driven Lexus models.

You can see how it looks / works here in the 2GS forum

Main forum for most questions / posts
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005-184/

but two sub-forums for

Suspension and Brakes - any posts related to Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

- and -

Forced Induction, Engine and Transmission Section - any posts related to Intakes, exhausts, turbo, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

----------------------
The reason we do this is twofold:

1) better organization when members want to read and/or search for a specific topic on intakes, exhaust, coilovers, etc

2) in a high volume forum like this one, threads move off the first page very quickly and aren't seen on the second page. Members who are very interested in a specific topic about intakes, etc can focus on a more narrow area to get info on performance adders or handling improvements of their cars.

The downside is you have to remember to put your posts in the right place, and/or the moderators have to move them. Other models (ES330 for example) don't have nearly as much aftermarket support and discussion of modification, nor do they have the volume of posts that this forum (and the 2GS and SC300/400) does, so we don't use sub-forums there any longer.

I'm inclined to make this change before end of year, but wanted to gain input from the 2IS members before we do it. It does take a little getting used to in order to remember where to put things, but really is much nicer in the long run and makes for better organization / ease of use.

Thank you as always for your participation in helping the Club Lexus 2IS community grow!
Old 11-15-06, 03:38 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

personally i like the one forum thing for the 2IS, makes it easier for me but at the same time i'd like more organization with sub-forums. the thing with that is you can't have too many or else it becomes just as confusing as before. maybe something similar to the likes of my.is, but not as broad since we won't need a sub-forum for turbos, for example. your suggestion of one for suspension, then one for engine mods, are a great start i think.
Old 11-15-06, 03:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by jsquared
personally i like the one forum thing for the 2IS, makes it easier for me but at the same time i'd like more organization with sub-forums. the thing with that is you can't have too many or else it becomes just as confusing as before. maybe something similar to the likes of my.is, but not as broad since we won't need a sub-forum for turbos, for example. your suggestion of one for suspension, then one for engine mods, are a great start i think.

Thanks for the feedback. The format would most likely be just two sub forums, just like the other forums that have them.
Old 11-15-06, 03:56 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193739

DIY Navigation hack thread

Or maybe, we should do like they have in the GS forum, just a single sticky for all DIYs, tips, tricks, etc?
Old 11-15-06, 04:07 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if you want to have the NAV hack in a FAQ or a sticky because it may then look like you support this illegal mod as something that everybody should do. If that makes since.
Old 11-15-06, 04:38 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Technique
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193739

DIY Navigation hack thread

Or maybe, we should do like they have in the GS forum, just a single sticky for all DIYs, tips, tricks, etc?
Thanks, way ahead of you. That thread has been there from the beginning in
Section Five - Modifying your 2IS (fourth thread down). Think of the FAQ as a better organized version of the DIYs, tips and tricks post. That one will eventually be converted to this format.

NewGuy - It's simpy a frequently asked question, not an endorsement. Adding aftermarket HIDs is also illegal, most of the intakes and FI are illegal in CA, etc. It's simply member experiences being shared - not going to get caught up in recommendation or condemnation. Thanks for looking out for us though
Old 11-15-06, 07:47 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Kinda off topic, but how about merging some of the stickies? For instance, putting the FAQ's and "Official Modification Thread" in one thread, and the "IS Member Map" and "Official Welcome Thread" together in another - that way there are less stickies. I think that the more stickies there are, the less people tend to look at them... Anyway, just an idea.

Javier
Old 11-15-06, 08:03 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about a photo gallery?
Old 11-15-06, 08:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by car_lost
what about a photo gallery?

You mean... like the photo gallery? https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/ This is also already linked in the FAQ in Section One under "Where do I find the IS250/IS350 Photo Gallery to look at pics of member's 2IS's?"

You can also get to the gallery under 'Community' from the top menu bar, then select Photo Gallery.
Old 11-15-06, 08:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Kinda off topic, but how about merging some of the stickies? For instance, putting the FAQ's and "Official Modification Thread" in one thread, and the "IS Member Map" and "Official Welcome Thread" together in another - that way there are less stickies. I think that the more stickies there are, the less people tend to look at them... Anyway, just an idea.

Javier
Totally agree with you here. I'll eliminate or merge at least two of them.
Old 11-15-06, 08:31 PM
kenjimaru
Driver

we need a clear bra thread
Old 11-15-06, 08:32 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by kenjimaru
we need a clear bra thread
Thanks Ken, please post a link to the thread you would recommend.
Old 11-15-06, 09:53 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

I like the idea as long as it don't get carried away, take a look at Dodgetruckworld.com for example.

I think we need a DIY sub-forum since most of us here do our own things to our cars as far as installation. I think it would accumulate a lot of things and will help when I finally get that mod that I've been waiting for and don't have to search around for hours to find the DYI thread.
Old 11-16-06, 05:50 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
You mean... like the photo gallery? https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/ This is also already linked in the FAQ in Section One under "Where do I find the IS250/IS350 Photo Gallery to look at pics of member's 2IS's?"

You can also get to the gallery under 'Community' from the top menu bar, then select Photo Gallery.
kinda, except make a sub-forum here where members can upload to the regular gallery and make a thread in the sub-forum here where they can post it and people can comment and stuff.
Old 11-16-06, 06:34 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

No need for subforms IMO. Additions to FAQ:

Cannot close hood on my 2IS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=hood+close

Cannot figure out how to play DVDs in my Nav/ML 2IS:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=243384

Quick Reply: Call for new 2IS FAQ nominations and discussion of adding sub-forums