IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got my factory spoiler installed - not flush on the ends

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-06, 10:11 AM
mattssi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my factory spoiler installed - not flush on the ends

So I had my car in the dealership for 3 days while they painted my trunk area due to them jacking it up when the put the license plate frame on. While it was in, I figured I'd have them install a factory spoiler.

They call and stress how they need the rental back bla bla, so I was able to get out of work early and pick up the car. Whatta ya know. Both ends of the spoiler are obviously not sticking to the car. Both ends are up and you can see the tape adhesive stretching.

I tell them. Now, they have to sign me up for another damn loaner vehicle for a day, which is a waste of my time. They call again the next day when its done. I went in today to pick it up, and although it is MUCH better, on both tips, the spoiler is not flush and on either end. On either side there is a few MM of gap where you can see the tape.

Is this normal? I went to the showroom area over at Longo but couldn't find an IS w/ a spoiler to compare.

Sounds pretty crappy to me and this is the second spoiler they went through. I know I'm picky, but sheesh. Its a factory spoiler, not an aftermarket knock off.
Old 11-11-06, 12:48 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you take your car to a dealership for ADDITIONAL work when they already jacked your car up? Learn your lesson and move on... Don't take your car back there EVER again...
Old 11-11-06, 12:52 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Mine came with the spoiler on it. Neither of my ends stick up at all. I'm going to try and get you a picture, camera's dead now
Old 11-11-06, 05:48 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picture of factory installed spoiler.

I hope this helps
Old 11-11-06, 07:33 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

I'll have to grab a picture - you have to view it from the front to see the gap (opposite side that your pictures show).

The reason I went to the dealer is that, well, they installed TONS of these at longo and it IS a factory part. How can they mess up?!!? They said the first one was faulty tape, so they put a new one on. I'll take a pic and come back for your opinions. I think it should be 100% flush the whole length - 98% doesn't work for me.
Old 11-11-06, 08:25 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

that's right you should not go back to the place that FXXKUP your car at the frist place anyway I will take some closer picture to show you my later...
Old 11-11-06, 09:12 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

they probably drilled the holes too high on the sides and when they put the 2nd spoiler on.. they didn't redrill the holes a lil bit lower. probably just stuck more tape on the ends to make it stick down...
Old 11-11-06, 09:23 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

My wife ordered a spoiler for me for Xmas from Sewell. I was at my daughter's soccer game today and I walked past a 350 w/ spoiler. I took a close look at the sides (tips). I have been worried about drilling holes since in fear that the spoiler might not fit right after reading this thread. Well, the spoiler I looked at probably had about 1/10" gap between the trunk lid and the spoiler tip. I didn't see any tape underneath. The gap was probably the width of the tip of my fingernail (the part you clip) times 2. The width of a quarter maybe. If that's about the size of the gap that you're talking about then I wouldn't be too upset. You couldn't tell until you got your eyes right up on it. However, if it's any bigger than that then, yes, I'd say there is something wrong. I would think the width of the quarter (on the ends of the spoiler) would be an acceptable gap. Do you feel differently?
Old 11-11-06, 09:31 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Technique
Why would you take your car to a dealership for ADDITIONAL work when they already jacked your car up? Learn your lesson and move on... Don't take your car back there EVER again...
I don't agree with you Technique. The reason people take their cars to dealers to do things like this that they could have had done elsewhere (read body shop) is that although you may pay a premium at the dealership, you have a greater assurance that things will ultimately get done correctly. It's not that the dealership has more experienced or capable people doing the work. It's that there is a hierarchy in place that a customer can utilize to have his complaints heard and recognized. Not to mention that the dealer is ultimately vested in making sure the customer is happy with the result. They know that most Lexus owners will someday buy another Lexus. They'd prefer that it be bought from them. It's kind of like my insurance company, USAA. Insurance is a commodity. It doesn't matter who I get it from, it's pretty much all the same. I pay more for USAA. I could get insurance cheaper elsewhere. However, with USAA, if I ever have a problem I know that all I have to do is make one call. They handle the rest. I never have to sweat it. It's a premium paid for peace of mind. It's the same with having something like this done at a Lexus dealership. Make the right phone call; treat the person with respect and make your position known and you're likely to have an agreeable outcome. JMHO.

Last edited by ahohnstein; 11-11-06 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-11-06, 09:52 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
My wife ordered a spoiler for me for Xmas from Sewell. I was at my daughter's soccer game today and I walked past a 350 w/ spoiler. I took a close look at the sides (tips). I have been worried about drilling holes since in fear that the spoiler might not fit right after reading this thread. Well, the spoiler I looked at probably had about 1/10" gap between the trunk lid and the spoiler tip. I didn't see any tape underneath. The gap was probably the width of the tip of my fingernail (the part you clip) times 2. The width of a quarter maybe. If that's about the size of the gap that you're talking about then I wouldn't be too upset. You couldn't tell until you got your eyes right up on it. However, if it's any bigger than that then, yes, I'd say there is something wrong. I would think the width of the quarter (on the ends of the spoiler) would be an acceptable gap. Do you feel differently?
I think you are describing exactly what I have on mine currently. The gap is about the exact width of 3m tape itself - but only on each end near the quarter panels. You can't really tell unless you are looking, but it just doesn't seem 100% correct, ya know?

I'm going to check a few out when I see them on the road - if they are different, I'll mention it during my first oil change to see if they can address it. If not, I'll trade someone trunk lids
Old 11-11-06, 10:50 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
I don't agree with you Technique. The reason people take their cars to dealers to do things like this that they could have had done elsewhere (read body shop) is that although you may pay a premium at the dealership, you have a greater assurance that things will ultimately get done correctly. It's not that the dealership has more experienced or capable people doing the work. It's that there is a hierarchy in place that a customer can utilize to have his complaints heard and recognized. Not to mention that the dealer is ultimately invested in making sure the customer is happy with the result. They know that most Lexus owners will someday buy another Lexus. They'd prefer that it be bought from them. It's kind of like my insurance company, USAA. Insurance is a commodity. It doesn't matter who I get it from, it's pretty much all the same. However, with USAA, if I ever have a problem I know that all I have to do is make one call. They handle the rest. I never have to sweat it. It's the same with having something like this done at a Lexus dealership. Make the right phone call; treat the person with respect and make your position known and you're likely to have an agreeable outcome. JMHO.
I agree with you. The prevailing attitude here seems to be to never take your car back to a dealer but go to an independent shop for all subsequent work. But if you are an average Lexus owner you are not into heavily modifying your car and wouldn't have a clue how to search out a 'good' shop. I wouldn't. It's fine if you live in CA or in a major metropolitan area where there are more options, but for those living in average parts of the country the options in independent shops isn't that great, and probably aren't going to be any better than a Lexus dealer. At least you have a fallback with a dealer to get it done right eventually. There are good Lexus dealers and not so good Lexus dealers, so making a blanket statement to NEVER go back to a dealer is shortsighted and not rooted in reality for most owners.

My car came with the factory spoiler (attached as a port option?) and there are no spaces or gaps anywhere that I can see. I suppose the port does so many of them that they know all the tricks to get it done right. I'm sure Lexus will make it right with a spoiler purchased from a dealer.
Old 11-11-06, 11:39 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

guys no need to drill holes just 3M tapes is fine...
Attached Thumbnails Got my factory spoiler installed - not flush on the ends-p1000126.jpg  
Old 11-11-06, 11:43 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

more pictures...
Attached Thumbnails Got my factory spoiler installed - not flush on the ends-p1000127.jpg  
Old 11-11-06, 11:43 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

another one...
Attached Thumbnails Got my factory spoiler installed - not flush on the ends-p1000129.jpg  
Old 11-11-06, 11:45 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

last one...
Attached Thumbnails Got my factory spoiler installed - not flush on the ends-p1000131.jpg  

Quick Reply: Got my factory spoiler installed - not flush on the ends