IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got my factory spoiler installed - not flush on the ends

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-06, 10:20 PM
bartkat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
It appears a tape only approach is ok for now, but the nagging question I would have is 'why does Lexus use tape and bolts in the design if tape only is sufficient?'. Permanence as an installed item, or is there some other reason? If tape is completely sufficient why are bolts designed into the system? Enquiring minds want to know!
There are plenty of other spoilers that don't require bolts. It's usually the really heavy ones that need them.

I ran a taped only roof spoiler for 2 years on a IS300 and when I went to take it off it wasn't easy to get it loose.
Old 11-24-06, 06:24 AM
gassman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
Picture of factory installed spoiler.

I hope this helps
That's normal, it does not extend all the way.
Old 11-24-06, 08:36 AM
mattssi
Pole Position

The car is now in the dealership again (since yesterday) since the ends started coming up again. This is the 3rd visit there. They are supposed to have it back to me today, but they better have this damn thing right. I don't understand how they can't fix it.

In addition to this, there is a paint blemish under the gas lid on the quarter panel that looks like rust has been painted over - very wierd.

I'm not going here any more if I continue to have issues. I will ONLY use their mobile service since it is extremely convenient.
Old 11-24-06, 04:34 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

So....

The dealer called me again today. It appears they just replaced the spoiler again (3rd times a charm, right??), and the technician scratched the trunk and it needs to be painted. As far as the blemish, they have to wait for a director or someone to come in next week to make a decision on what to do.

So, in the short time I've had my car, I've had it in my possession as much as the dealer. 2 re-paints, 3 spoilers, poor service 90% of the time.

Damn! I wish I could cut my losses sooner, but I'll have to wait until this spoiler thing pans out.

What a joke. Do NOT go to Longo!!!
Old 11-24-06, 06:41 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stop ..... Time Out !!!!

Originally Posted by mattssi
So....

The dealer called me again today. It appears they just replaced the spoiler again (3rd times a charm, right??), and the technician scratched the trunk and it needs to be painted. As far as the blemish, they have to wait for a director or someone to come in next week to make a decision on what to do.

So, in the short time I've had my car, I've had it in my possession as much as the dealer. 2 re-paints, 3 spoilers, poor service 90% of the time.

Damn! I wish I could cut my losses sooner, but I'll have to wait until this spoiler thing pans out.

If this was my car I'd call a halt to this kind of ineptitude and call in the Lexus area rep. Two repaints on the back trunk for license plate screwup and repeated goof ups on the spoiler is unacceptable. It seems obvious they are incapable of doing the simple things, so quit dealing with them directly. You need to get Lexus involved NOW. You have been patient enough.....it's time to lower the boom on the dealership. SPEAK UP.
Old 11-24-06, 11:41 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

If this was my car I'd call a halt to this kind of ineptitude and call in the Lexus area rep. Two repaints on the back trunk for license plate screwup and repeated goof ups on the spoiler is unacceptable. It seems obvious they are incapable of doing the simple things, so quit dealing with them directly. You need to get Lexus involved NOW. You have been patient enough.....it's time to lower the boom on the dealership. SPEAK UP.
I'm not sure exactly who to call/write, but I just did the contact Lexus Customer Service in the Lexus Owners area of their website. I listed all my contact information, and uploading my documentation and complaints. Hopefully something will come of this.

If you have any other suggestions, they are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-08-06, 06:37 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

Update:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Got a call Friday, Dec 1st saying my car would be done Monday, most likely. Of course its not.

I get a call from Service Manager saying it will be done Wednesday...and they will call me.

Never got a call, so I called them. "Car is in the shop and will be done Friday"

Well, today I called them and they said the car will be done today at 4:30. I asked the service write up guy (not the manager) how the spoiler is fitting - he said its great. He says he'll call me before the end of the day to confirm.

No call. CS Manager calls and asks if the write up guy called, I said no. She says the paint looks great but the spoiler is not fitting properly. She went to look at it and it was not fitting since the holes were drilled to big!!! This is the reason that each other spoiler hadn't fit (3, 4 spoilers now???). No ****!! That's what I told them the second time I took it in....

She says they are going to fill the holes and remount the spoiler.

I can't belive this... they are going to put a metal backing in the inside of the trunk lid, re-drill the mounting holes and mount the spoiler.

My car has like 2500 miles on it and now I have to have a ghetto *** trunk. I realize no one will know but me, but this is ridiculous.

I don't know what to do? I've gotten as high up as I can - so what the heck can I ask for at this point?!? The only good thing is that she did realize there was a problem this time before I drove out of my damn way to pick it up.

Soooo now it won't be ready until Wednesday of next week.

Last edited by mattssi; 12-08-06 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-08-06, 06:46 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like I first told you almost a month ago... Get your car back and never go back to that dealer EVER again...

Either go to a different dealer to have it fixed, or pay an independent shop that knows what they are doing to fix it...
Old 12-08-06, 06:49 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

Even if I take it to a new dealer, it will have to be fixed in the same way unless they splurge for a trunk. Which they should. But they wont.

After this, I am NEVER going to Longo.
Old 12-08-06, 06:55 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Even if I take it to a new dealer, it will have to be fixed in the same way unless they splurge for a trunk. Which they should. But they wont.

After this, I am NEVER going to Longo.
I hear ya bro... I guess what I am trying to say is, don't give this dealership ANOTHER opportunity to mess things up man... Yes, another dealership will fix it the same way, but what are the odds that Longo will mess it up YET AGAIN? I'd say the chance is there... I wouldn't give them the opportunity to mess up again... You should make them buy you a new trunk lid, or else take it to a different dealer...

Honestly, I'd demand a new trunk lid, and if they don't, call Lexus Cust service and tell them the WHOLE story...

Good luck man, I hope you get your car back soon!
Old 12-08-06, 07:54 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Document....document....document. I'd write this whole episode down with dates, contacts, promises, outcome, etc, etc, etc. Scream loud and get Lexus Customer Service involved. You'll never get satisfaction from the ***** at Longo. They, Lexus Corp, owes you a new trunk lid, not a cobbled up mess that you have now. Putting a metal backing in the current lid would not satisfy me.

I really do sympathize with you.....but you have to take control of the situation yourself. Lexus will NOT come to your rescue unless you lay it on their doorstep and DEMAND they make it right.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-06, 08:09 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Refilling holes for a screw up they made is unacceptable, I'd demand a new trunk. Like everyone mentioned, get Lexus Corp. involved.
Old 12-08-06, 08:18 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So....

I've had good experience with Longo. Sorry to hear that they messed up your car.
Old 12-08-06, 08:29 PM
Tony59blue
Lead Lap

Document....document....document. I'd write this whole episode down with dates, contacts, promises, outcome, etc, etc, etc. Scream loud and get Lexus Customer Service involved. You'll never get satisfaction from the ***** at Longo. They, Lexus Corp, owes you a new trunk lid, not a cobbled up mess that you have now. Putting a metal backing in the current lid would not satisfy me.

I really do sympathize with you.....but you have to take control of the situation yourself. Lexus will NOT come to your rescue unless you lay it on their doorstep and DEMAND they make it right.

Good luck.

Yeah what Evitzee said ^^^^^^^^^^^. They definetly need to get you a new trunk lid. Don't email Lexus Customer Service pick up the phone and call them directly. Let them know what exactly is going on with your car, Time spent, Trips to the dealer, Promises made, and all that stuff that's got you to this point
Old 12-08-06, 09:19 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The car is now in the dealership again (since yesterday) since the ends started coming up again. This is the 3rd visit there. They are supposed to have it back to me today, but they better have this damn thing right. I don't understand how they can't fix it.

In addition to this, there is a paint blemish under the gas lid on the quarter panel that looks like rust has been painted over - very wierd.

I'm not going here any more if I continue to have issues. I will ONLY use their mobile service since it is extremely convenient.
I think the ends are lifting because the holes they have drilled are OFF. It is not aligned at the holes so it is setting the spoiler on the wrong position.

Quick Reply: Got my factory spoiler installed - not flush on the ends