IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Soft Brake Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20, 04:15 PM
spaike97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Brake Pedal

Hello guys, just did a brake fluid flush, and now the brake pedal feels a little different than before.

It feels super soft during the first 1/4 and would become pretty firm after. The car stops just as good as before the flush though, if not better. The brake feels much more responsive, especially during the 1/4, but it's so soft it makes me wonder if there is still air in the system. Does it sound normal?
Old 02-23-20, 04:30 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

When were your brake pads last changed? Fluid level is good obviously?

I know i have some aftermarkets installed by the previous owner that grab initially and then have a bite to them that takes a bit more pedal. Considering you just did a fluid flush there could be air in the system still though as you've suspected.. Most cars will have a slight mushy feeling to start and then when the brakes fully engage it feels firm though so it doesn't sound too strange imo.
The following users liked this post:
spaike97 (02-23-20)
Old 02-23-20, 04:35 PM
spaike97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanO
When were your brake pads last changed? Fluid level is good obviously?

I know i have some aftermarkets installed by the previous owner that grab initially and then have a bite to them that takes a bit more pedal. Considering you just did a fluid flush there could be air in the system still though as you've suspected.. Most cars will have a slight mushy feeling to start and then when the brakes fully engage it feels firm though so it doesn't sound too strange imo.
Thanks for your reply. I have no idea about the pads since I just bought it as a used car. The fluid level is fine.
Sounds like you're right. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid since it's my first time flushing brakes.
Old 02-23-20, 07:04 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

How did you bleed them? Vacuum bleeding can lead to a spongy pedal. Pressure bleeding is best!

Pressure bleeding starting at RR, LR, RF, LF with a helper by having them build pressure at the MC, you crack bleeder ONLY while they are pressing on brake pedal. Promptly seal bleeder Before they allow the pedal to rise.
When done, press the pedal again, build pressure and tap on the calipers with a hardwood block to free air bubbles, open the bleeder letting the air escape, seal the bleeder. Repeat 3x per brake. PS tap straight up, not in....

The reward is any motion to the pedal and the brakes are active.