lol huge snow fall

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 01:46 AM
Jatt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lol huge snow fall

Hi guys,

I live in Edmonton Alberta, huge snowfall today, and I mean I couldn't even get my IS up the driveway, I'm not sure how I'm gonna drive it down to the place that is going to put snow tires on it, and if it will actually make a difference.

If anybody has actually put on snow tires on their stock 18inch wheel, please do share your experience....
Old 10-29-06, 02:05 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Well I live in SoCal so I personally do not have any expierence with snow and the IS, but last winter a lot of the people in your situation said that snow tires coupled with VDIM worked well in all but the worst situations (going up a steep hill with a lot of snow/ice)
Old 10-29-06, 07:38 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Of course it makes a difference!! Summer tires are completely inappropriate for driving on snow. Wait until the roads are plowed, and then get down to the place that is going to put your snow tires on.
Old 10-29-06, 07:44 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

You needs a Subaru as a winter car in Canada. 2IS with 18 won't work in snow, and the salt is really bad for chrome trims around the body. Watch out!
Old 10-29-06, 09:25 AM
markyboy
Rookie

Default Snow

I just went out in the snow here in Calgary. Just to see how bad my summer tires would be in the snow.

Lets just say that I will never drive this thing in the snow again.... period!

Right now the car is sitting about 6 blocks from my house at an old folks retirement complex. I could not make it home. I got stuck 3 times, one time on a low grade hill. I had to make the cars behiind me back up so I could slide down backward (almost into another car). ******

I had an old altima with all season tires on it before my 350.
My question to you all with snow tires.
If I put snow tires on my 18's will the car be as good as a front wheel drive with all seasons?
I am nervous to spend money on tires and then still be sliding all over the road. Considering buying a winter beater.
WTF was I thinking buying a rear wheel drive here in Calgary. I should have got the 250 in all wheel drive.

Just glad I didn't crash into anything or hit the curb. The car still looks perfect, I hope no one slides into it
Old 10-29-06, 09:39 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by markyboy

Right now the car is sitting about 6 blocks from my house at an old folks retirement complex. I could not make it home. I got stuck 3 times, one time on a low grade hill. I had to make the cars behiind me back up so I could slide down backward (almost into another car). ******
I feel you!!
I had 4 yrs in Toronto and 2 yrs in Montreal during 90's.. and I had a 79' Accord as a my Winter donkey! I remember that 79' Accord cost me 500CND in 91'.. No kidding!

Montreal in Winter = San Francisco covered with snow and ice! Very scary!
Old 10-29-06, 09:42 AM
Jatt
Driver

If I put snow tires on my 18's will the car be as good as a front wheel drive with all seasons?
I am nervous to spend money on tires and then still be sliding all over the road. Considering buying a winter beater.
WTF was I thinking buying a rear wheel drive here in Calgary. I should have got the 250 in all wheel drive.
LOL damn, same situation bro, BUT I think last night was a bad example to try it out on, a) no snow/all season tires b) that snow fall was freakish, they never even plowed it, and it was plus 1 during the day, so there was just a sheet of ice on the roads, I saw alotta cars in the ditch everywhere, so really you cant just say that its the IS350 that is having problems.

I'm still gonna take the gamble and get the snow tires on the car, I think its retarded to pay on my lease and drive some other car during the winter...
Old 10-29-06, 09:49 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try some 17" aftermarket wheels, the cheapest you can find, and find some winter tires for those. That should do the trick.

Or you could move to Vancouver.
Old 10-29-06, 09:49 AM
markyboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jatt
I think its retarded to pay on my lease and drive some other car during the winter...
Me too!

I think this snowfall is quite bad here in Calgary. Lots of cars in the ditch here too. Lots of downed trees from cars slaming into them and lots of tire marks going up the curb because of cars sliding off the road. It really was not the day to take my car out to test it out. I thought it was a light dusting of snow but it is pure ice underneath.

What about studded tires? Anyone have some? Comment on them please. I don't know much about it. Are they legal here in canada? They should be.
Old 10-29-06, 10:00 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I found this article rather interesting...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...action2006.htm

In particular, the C350 4-matic which did very well in the snow tests... Lexus REALLY needs to make an AWD 350.
Old 10-29-06, 10:40 AM
markyboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramon
I found this article rather interesting...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...action2006.htm

In particular, the C350 4-matic which did very well in the snow tests... Lexus REALLY needs to make an AWD 350.
Good article, thanks.

If there was an AWD 350 I would definately have got it!

My wife just told me "you are too power hungry... you should have got the 250 AWD"
Guess I will go down to lexus and price out some winter tires.

Any comments on studded tires? Seems to me that they would provide the best grip on the ice. Advantages vs Disadvantages? I know nothing at this point.
Old 10-29-06, 10:52 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by markyboy
Good article, thanks.

If there was an AWD 350 I would definately have got it!

My wife just told me "you are too power hungry... you should have got the 250 AWD"
Guess I will go down to lexus and price out some winter tires.

Any comments on studded tires? Seems to me that they would provide the best grip on the ice. Advantages vs Disadvantages? I know nothing at this point.
Lexus sells cars but not tires. Look for a good reputable tire store with guys have enough knowledge in tires... My guess the better winter tires should no more than 205 mm in width. The wider the worse...
Old 10-29-06, 11:11 AM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

rear wheel drive cars dont work well in snow/ice

I would get a winter beater and put the lexus in the garage
Old 10-29-06, 11:17 AM
shox
Pole Position

Haha, from Calgary here and yeah the snow is coming down hard.

However, I have AWD and I'm so glad I have it. Just went to Market Mall and back no problem whatsoever.

Just so ya know, studded tires are legal in Alberta. Although it does huge damage to the roads when there isn't snow but if you want awesome traction go studded. That's my only opinion for RWD in snow.

Won't hurt the car to have studs...just the road and driveway or garage cement.
Old 10-29-06, 11:26 AM
shox
Pole Position

Oh and I was told studded tires are also allowed in Saskatchewan and the territories (I don't even know if you can get Lexus's up in the territories) and POSSIBLY Manitoba I'm not sure. Anywhere else it's illegal.

Quick Reply: lol huge snow fall