IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

just put my plates on - dealer jacked up my paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 03:27 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just put my plates on - dealer jacked up my paint

I just got my plates in the mail - so I went to go put them on...

Well, the back panel where the plate goes is scratched up and even has paint cracking and peeling where the dealer overtightedn their stupid *** frame.

On the front bumper, they overtightened the bracket which put marks in my bumper.

I'm not *AS* po'ed about the front since you can't see them, but the back look jacked. I'm sure it will be more obvious when its clean.

How do you complain, or better yet, have a dealer repair this kind of thing?!
Old 10-25-06, 03:36 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mattssi
How do you complain, or better yet, have a dealer repair this kind of thing?!
You have to do it BEFORE you drive off the lot. Otherwise it's your word against theirs who caused the problem.
Old 10-25-06, 03:40 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

I concur... that's why I specifically told the dealer DO NOT put any plates at all front and rear... no holes in front bumper!!!

Once you drive off lot, nothing you can do about it afterwards.
Old 10-25-06, 03:41 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

It takes months to get plates though - thats the problem. I emailed the dealership. Maybe I'll give em a call. Its just such crap. Even though its small, its noticeable and should NOT be there. How hard is it to use a regular screw driver instead of a power drill.
Old 10-25-06, 03:48 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

i got my plates the day i bought my car.
Old 10-25-06, 04:04 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

When I picked up my car, they already had the temp tag in a dealer frame screwed into place. When I removed it to get rid of the free advertising, I noticed that the gaudy dealer frame had cut into the clear. This is a common problem with cheap, wide, metal frames used by dealers.

When my plates arrived at the dealer, they were anxious to help me install them. I appreciate their enthusiasm, but I took the plates home and installed them myself.
Old 10-25-06, 04:14 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vApor21
i got my plates the day i bought my car.
heah? that's sounds weird, but maybe because I live in Cali??

You should have the right to complain bro. But this is one of those things that will depend onyour relationship with the management and sales guys. believe me, that want you to be happy, but at the same time dont want to be paying for things they dont have to. Take it up with corporate in calm respectful manner if you have to and it will be resolved.
Old 11-04-06, 04:46 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

Here's an update guys - A week or so later I got a call back from the customer service manager (or manager of complaints or something). I had sent in an email saying that this happened and asked how to proceed.

She was very helpful, and asked me to come in so they can take a look, and made sure that a manager was available.

Today was that day. I took the car in. The service tech said he had to have a manager take a look. Since the manager was familiar w/ the situation, a minute later they said they are going to repaint the trunk lid and repair it for me. I have a POS slow, stripped down 250 loaner until Wednesday, but it works. I have to figure out my way around LA very quickly

Anyway, Longo Lexus - place is awesome, and service (at least for now) seems top notch.

Last edited by mattssi; 11-04-06 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-04-06, 04:56 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLexo
heah? that's sounds weird, but maybe because I live in Cali??

You should have the right to complain bro. But this is one of those things that will depend onyour relationship with the management and sales guys. believe me, that want you to be happy, but at the same time dont want to be paying for things they dont have to. Take it up with corporate in calm respectful manner if you have to and it will be resolved.

yeah i was shocked too.. after signing papers, i went to front desk and they just gave me the new plates. the lady said that now they just give plates the day u buy the car. i was lucky to tell the dealer not to put the frame on the front as it looks so ugly imo.
Old 11-06-06, 01:15 PM
StarfireIS
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Same thing happened to our car. The dealer framed cracked the paint in the trunklid. I complained to Sewell (where we bought it) and they repainted the piece that the license plate mounts to.

Personally I blame Lexus and the dealer equally. The car has the absolute worst method of mounting license plates of anything I've ever owned (my wife's 11 year old Accord has a better system) and the dealership shouldn't be mounting the plate & frame with a cordless drill which I noticed had the torque set to max.

Sewell did a good job repainting it, but I'm still steamed that our 3 week old, $40k, "new" car had to be butchered up so quickly.
Old 11-06-06, 01:20 PM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

I Received My Plates About A Month Ago!..* Lol I Will Probably Put Them On In 6 Months! Lol
Old 11-06-06, 06:03 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by StarfireIS
Same thing happened to our car. The dealer framed cracked the paint in the trunklid. I complained to Sewell (where we bought it) and they repainted the piece that the license plate mounts to.

Personally I blame Lexus and the dealer equally. The car has the absolute worst method of mounting license plates of anything I've ever owned (my wife's 11 year old Accord has a better system) and the dealership shouldn't be mounting the plate & frame with a cordless drill which I noticed had the torque set to max.

Sewell did a good job repainting it, but I'm still steamed that our 3 week old, $40k, "new" car had to be butchered up so quickly.
I have the exact same opinion!! I'm sure it helps resale too.