IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Throttle Stuck - Near DEATH experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07, 02:26 PM
chat0882
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

59 and 610????????? You're lucky to be alive, traffic is a ***** there!
Old 11-22-07, 03:33 PM
CWu2042
Driver

danggg thats pretty crazy, glad ur okay!
i hope that doesn't happen to my IS350
Old 11-22-07, 03:50 PM
VF84
Pole Position

glad ur ok. had a similar experience on my volvo. i put on some newer t-bolt clamps months earlier, but somehow, it had moved enough that it caught the throttle cable (95 model). i was going wot on the freeway and about to exit a ramp to catch an intersecting freeway. let go of the gas pedal and then the cable got stuck. wow, going triple digits around a corner is let's say... fun on the track, not so much on a public freeway. good thing it was 5 in the morning. anyway, i was able to coast off (at wot hahaha) the freeway at the next entrance so i was ok.

Originally Posted by al503
Even with the accelerator floored, you should be able to slow and stop the car down with the brakes. There aren't many cars that can overpower the front brakes.
and speaking from experience... brakes won't slow u down much when u'r going wot at above freeway sppeds and continuing at wot..

at least for me anyway, brakes didn't really slow me down. my volvo has over 280 hp and front brembo 13" brakes.. it merely kept me from going ballastic . it could be that the volvo is fwd instead of rwd or even awd...

what really slowed me down was going to neutral AND stepping on the brakes.

Originally Posted by JiggaWATT
At this point I am on the freeway going 90 plus MPH ...with cars fast approaching from my rear.
so.. how fast were they going??

j/k.. i sympathize with ur situation and am glad u managed to come out with ok and only a few sweats.
Old 11-22-07, 06:27 PM
IS-MIKE
Driver

There's a recall for this now on some Toyota and Lexus vehicles. http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/...ta_recalls.htm

Currently the recall is for 55,000 2007/2008 Lexus ES 350 as well as the 2007/2008 Camry for unintended acceleration caused by the mats sticking underneath the accelerator pedal.

I remember a few months ago on the news a Camry did that and killed someone. I guess it has happened enough times that the cost benefit/analysis of paying out claims vs recalling and fixing the problem on all affected vehicles, pushed it over to recall. Though it sounds like they're still trying to figure out if they need to expand it to other vehicles in the Toyota lineup.
Old 11-22-07, 06:33 PM
IS-MIKE
Driver

I just looked at my IS350 I don't really see how that the floor mat could easily get stuck up there, I wonder if something else is going on here.
Old 11-22-07, 07:50 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

wow, scary, Glad your ok next time you can throw the transmission into nuetral to prevent increas in acceleration. I would def get it checked out.
Old 11-22-07, 08:31 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
I agree with the earlier posters -- the fact that you observed the pedal stuck down makes me think this was likely interference from the floor mat. The IS is a throttle-by-wire car, the gas pedal simply rotates a pair of potentiometers that are read by the computer. If the spring isn't broken - and I assume it isn't since the car was fine after you pulled over, it sure sounds like a car of outside interference.

Do you have the factory OEM floor mats? Or something aftermarket?
Sorry, I'm not buying the kids story anymore than I bought into all the mystery Audi's that accelerated when people hit the brake pedal a few years back.

I tend to agree with the floor mat theory as being the cause.
Old 11-22-07, 11:27 PM
VF84
Pole Position

there have been incidents of uncontrolled accelerations of other makes in other parts of the world too.. but i did experience fritzing of the ecu that made the engine rev like crazy with no pressure on the gas pedal (and no, the pedal was not stuck) on the cadillac northstar v8..
Old 11-25-07, 04:53 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i had this happen today? i have an 07 is350 and there is no way for the mats to hit the gas peddal. my mats where secure with the tabs also but i noticed after looking that the gas pedal comes down from the top not secured from the bottom? maybe this was changed from the 06 year model?? i assumed it was from the floor after reading and hearing about floor mats pushing into the gas pedal. when i pulled out of the parking spot the car took off. the rpms where on avg around 2500. interesting i put the car in nuetral and nothing (went back to normal)??? i figured the engine would have been running hard but wasnt. once it was back in gear the car started to act up again? drove thru some side streets to see what the car would do so i wasnt on the road with others. this did stop after about 5 min of the car running. the floor mats where not moved and i did nothing to the car within the 5 min it took for the car to relax. i havent had this happen on any car of mine in the past and first time with this car. most of my cars have been manual trans so no biggie since i put it in nuetral when i felt it was pushing hard. the strang thing was once the car was in nuetral it was if the car was fine. i also put the car in the manual mode and shifted thru the gears to see how it reacted and it just seemed to drive and pick up speed. noticed no difference since the rpms where low. i did go up a ramp wiht out ever pushing the gas and went down 2 streets (industrial park) and not once did i touch the gas peddal and the car just kept speeding up. it was a slow pick up but some needless to say! i hope my input has helped here and im curious to see what everyone has to say now with this added info.
Old 11-25-07, 07:26 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

wow man, really scary experience, im glad you got out of it okay
Old 11-25-07, 07:38 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
i had this happen today? i have an 07 is350 and there is no way for the mats to hit the gas peddal. my mats where secure with the tabs also but i noticed after looking that the gas pedal comes down from the top not secured from the bottom? maybe this was changed from the 06 year model?? i assumed it was from the floor after reading and hearing about floor mats pushing into the gas pedal. when i pulled out of the parking spot the car took off. the rpms where on avg around 2500. interesting i put the car in nuetral and nothing (went back to normal)??? i figured the engine would have been running hard but wasnt. once it was back in gear the car started to act up again? drove thru some side streets to see what the car would do so i wasnt on the road with others. this did stop after about 5 min of the car running. the floor mats where not moved and i did nothing to the car within the 5 min it took for the car to relax. i havent had this happen on any car of mine in the past and first time with this car. most of my cars have been manual trans so no biggie since i put it in nuetral when i felt it was pushing hard. the strang thing was once the car was in nuetral it was if the car was fine. i also put the car in the manual mode and shifted thru the gears to see how it reacted and it just seemed to drive and pick up speed. noticed no difference since the rpms where low. i did go up a ramp wiht out ever pushing the gas and went down 2 streets (industrial park) and not once did i touch the gas peddal and the car just kept speeding up. it was a slow pick up but some needless to say! i hope my input has helped here and im curious to see what everyone has to say now with this added info.
What was it revving at? The gas pedal is attached from the top on all 2ISs.

Was your car warmed up? When temps drop below 37, the car will idle at 1k and feel more difficult than usual to stop when driving. This is so the engine will warm up. Once it is at operating temp, the revs go back to normal.

Did you try turning the car off and on again to see if it would reproduce?
Old 11-26-07, 11:09 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
What was it revving at? The gas pedal is attached from the top on all 2ISs.

Was your car warmed up? When temps drop below 37, the car will idle at 1k and feel more difficult than usual to stop when driving. This is so the engine will warm up. Once it is at operating temp, the revs go back to normal.

Did you try turning the car off and on again to see if it would reproduce?
i didnt turn the car off. i wanted to see what the car would do in different modes of driving. i was leaving the gym and went across the street where i used to work. it wasnt becuase it was cold out. the car was pushing 2500 rpms. i drove it today and it was just under the 1000 rpms. im not really sure what would have caused it and i recalled this post so i added my experience. my wife has pretty much taken over that car as she isnt happy with the TSX so i worried me. i kept the car today to see how it would drive and so far nothing? i assume it was a fluke thing but again my main conern is when she is driving....i will drive it this week to see what the car does if anything both with cold starts and also with warm starts. also to add the car wasnt on a cold start. the engine was still a little warm when i started the car. rpms where normal when i put in reverse. the car did jerk a little when i went from reverse to drive?? oh well i guess i have to wait and see if it happens again i will take it to the dealer so they can drive it for a few days. thansk for yoru input and reply!
Old 11-26-07, 01:31 PM
naga11
Rookie

Is this issue concerning anyone else?

I hope we can flush this issue out and get some real answers as to what is causing this accelerator problem.
Old 09-29-09, 01:55 PM
JiggaWATT
Rookie

Default not trying to bring up an old thread

But my co-worker sent me a link and it reminded me of my experience.

I wanted to bring this to light for anyone that may not be aware.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mismatch...xus-crash.html
Old 09-29-09, 04:04 PM
Idrinor
Driver School Candidate

Floor mats are known to occur on all vehicle models. It happened to me once while I was driving my '08 passat. I had to brake hard after some old lady swerved into my lane like a bat out of hell. I think my foot pressing down hard pushed the mat in which cause the gas pedal to be pressed...although it was definitely not WOT. I looked down and could tell the mat was over the pedal, even though I didn't know it was the problem. So I just pushed it back with my foot and everything went back to normal. I later drilled to screws on top of the 2 tabs tat hold the mat in...that sucker ain't goin no where:-) Glad you're OK!

Quick Reply: IS350 Throttle Stuck - Near DEATH experience