Non Mark Levison nav screen used to play dvd's

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-06, 07:29 PM
LarryIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Non Mark Levison nav screen used to play dvd's

Hello all,

I know that the non ML will not play dvd's through the factory DVDplayer. Does anyone know if there is a DVD converter that will allow the hookup of a DVD player into the factory system for the 2nd GEN IS as of yet, and if so could someone point me in the direction of where to get it? Thanks for the help!!!!! Larry
Old 10-20-06, 08:44 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to date, no one to my knowledge has been able to locate such a converter. sorry.

just so you know, a non-ML setup does not contain a factory DVD player. It only contains a factory CD player.
Old 10-21-06, 12:35 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

there's a place i called up that can have one installed for bout 600 .. dvd player and everything.. it seemed a little high for me.. but i haven' looked into it yet...
Old 10-21-06, 09:30 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

please be careful, a few places say Yes when they really mean Maybe and it turns out to be No.

if you end up getting suckered into trying to make it work, make sure you can return the useless device and get a FULL refund.
Old 10-21-06, 05:16 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

they advertised lexus
Old 10-21-06, 11:01 PM
sams_is
Driver School Candidate

I'll tell you what I know, hope this helps.

I also have a navigation without Mark Levinson and I took the unit out the other day to do the nav hack and this is what the back of navigation unit looks like:

The blue connector at the top left side is not connected to anything by default (as it turns out that this is the Mark Levinson DVD player image connection) so out of curiosity I looked at the repair manual and here's what it says about the connector: (it's called J52 connector)

So anyone have any idea how to display my own image given this information?

Last edited by sams_is; 10-22-06 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-21-06, 11:37 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is very possible that a ML Headunit with the 6 Disc Changer ONLY swapped in place of the Non ML Nav screen will play DVD Videos.

The Non ML and ML Nav screen and map dvdrom are likely to be the same.

But if we can find use for that connection to take the video feed, that will most definately be nice for aftermarket application.

If that connection can be used, a AUX input for the sound must be used. VAIS offers that product.
Old 10-21-06, 11:42 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Old 10-22-06, 02:09 AM
muzzman1
Driver

It seems as though that J52 pin one is simply a "RCA" signal a simple NTSC signal! I wonder how; if we were able to send a valid video signal to it, we could activate the screen to display that signal?
....for those of you that have ML, what "button" do you push to watch a DVD? I can only assume that it is like the VAIS unit where it just hops into the AUX button selection?
....It would be very intersting to see if anyone here would be willing to spend the time to check this out.....
Old 10-22-06, 08:24 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by istundra
It is very possible that a ML Headunit with the 6 Disc Changer ONLY swapped in place of the Non ML Nav screen will play DVD Videos.

The Non ML and ML Nav screen and map dvdrom are likely to be the same.

But if we can find use for that connection to take the video feed, that will most definately be nice for aftermarket application.

If that connection can be used, a AUX input for the sound must be used. VAIS offers that product.
i think it's been done.. so yes... now how much are the dvd units?
Old 10-22-06, 03:35 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

So if I was to aquire a ML dvd/cd changer and the wire, I could put that into my non ML and play movies just plug and play? If so I'll be looking into a price
Old 10-22-06, 04:06 PM
istundra
Pole Position

i do recall a 3rd Gen GS has replaced his NON-ML Disc Changer with a ML Disc Changer and was able to play DVD.

I am certain that route will be expensive... maybe into the thousands...

It will be nice if we can use our existing equipment but ADD a Aux IN and a DVD Player to be able to watch DVD's...
Old 10-22-06, 05:35 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by istundra
i do recall a 3rd Gen GS has replaced his NON-ML Disc Changer with a ML Disc Changer and was able to play DVD.

I am certain that route will be expensive... maybe into the thousands...

It will be nice if we can use our existing equipment but ADD a Aux IN and a DVD Player to be able to watch DVD's...
Yea I understand but I don't see how just a dvd/cd changer only would be thousands.. You may be correct, I think I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to inquire about the price.
Old 10-22-06, 05:39 PM
sams_is
Driver School Candidate

From what I read what cmusic wrote last long time ago (still searchable I believe) it won't be as simple as swapping the head unit. We will also need to swap the amp and also route connection to the center speaker (which we also need to buy) so I imagine this would be quite expensive but still doable if you're so desired and have money and willing to pay for it

Personally, I'm working on a carputer project for that amount of money.
Old 10-22-06, 05:42 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sams_is
From what I read what cmusic wrote last long time ago (still searchable I believe) it won't be as simple as swapping the head unit. We will also need to swap the amp and also route connection to the center speaker (which we also need to buy) so I imagine this would be quite expensive but still doable if you're so desired and have money and willing to pay for it

Personally, I'm working on a carputer project for that amount of money.
Yea I'm not really concerned about the center speaker. But the amp is something that may present a problem.

Quick Reply: Non Mark Levison nav screen used to play dvd's