IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 07:39 PM
DIJohn46
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my car used and it didn't make the sound (or at least I didn't notice it) until recently.

I finally caught it on video. And if you're wondering if it happens everytime at startup...it doesn't. It's taken me lots of attempts to finally get it on video.

I'm assuming this is the cam gear chatter that this thread is about:

http://youtu.be/PKN9YHw_YZM
Old 08-28-12, 09:17 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,715 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by DIJohn46
I bought my car used and it didn't make the sound (or at least I didn't notice it) until recently.

I finally caught it on video. And if you're wondering if it happens everytime at startup...it doesn't. It's taken me lots of attempts to finally get it on video.

I finally got around to taking my in yesterday. Lexus (without sending a mass notification...) granted Extended Warranties to all IS'. When I asked my Lexus Service Rep how much would it cost to get the noise fixed (Happened about every 8-10 startups...), he checked the system and informed me about the extended warranty...which incidentally ends on September 30th of this year! I was required to provide video of the noise before being allowed to schedule the repair. They had the car for a few hours yesterday, and called to ask if I purchased the car from a dealer or the original owner. I purchased it from the dealer, to which the rep said there was a 'wrinkle'. Apparently the warranty was extended to the original owner only, but if it was a direct sale...forms would be filled out, and it would be transferred to the new owner. If a dealership is the middle man, then it's null and void.

Before going Chernobyl...I let them stew in it for awhile. Got a call saying they were going to honor the warrantied work.....BUT....they 'conveniently' located a small leak in the water pump. I knows those f**ckers went looking for 'anything' to recoup their costs, but the $586 quote is under the high end side of the repair. No leaks were seen on the ground, and I will probably be glad this was taken care of....next month....but right now I feel like Hennessey Lexus of Atlanta were being shady a-holes.

DLPTony.
Old 08-28-12, 10:10 AM
maniacbob
Driver

Originally Posted by DLPTony
I finally got around to taking my in yesterday. Lexus (without sending a mass notification...) granted Extended Warranties to all IS'. When I asked my Lexus Service Rep how much would it cost to get the noise fixed (Happened about every 8-10 startups...), he checked the system and informed me about the extended warranty...which incidentally ends on September 30th of this year! I was required to provide video of the noise before being allowed to schedule the repair. They had the car for a few hours yesterday, and called to ask if I purchased the car from a dealer or the original owner. I purchased it from the dealer, to which the rep said there was a 'wrinkle'. Apparently the warranty was extended to the original owner only, but if it was a direct sale...forms would be filled out, and it would be transferred to the new owner. If a dealership is the middle man, then it's null and void.

Before going Chernobyl...I let them stew in it for awhile. Got a call saying they were going to honor the warrantied work.....BUT....they 'conveniently' located a small leak in the water pump. I knows those f**ckers went looking for 'anything' to recoup their costs, but the $586 quote is under the high end side of the repair. No leaks were seen on the ground, and I will probably be glad this was taken care of....next month....but right now I feel like Hennessey Lexus of Atlanta were being shady a-holes.

DLPTony.
So, let me see if I'm understanding you correctly. You're saying that there is now an EXTENDED WARRANTY for ALL IS who have this issue? Meaning that even if your IS is out of warranty, may that be by year or miles, that you will be cover by this EXTENDED WARRANTY to fix the cam issue?

Also, if you bought your car from the ORIGINAL OWNER, then you just need to fill out some forms (what forms?) and the warranty will still cover you?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-12, 10:31 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by maniacbob
So, let me see if I'm understanding you correctly. You're saying that there is now an EXTENDED WARRANTY for ALL IS who have this issue? Meaning that even if your IS is out of warranty, may that be by year or miles, that you will be cover by this EXTENDED WARRANTY to fix the cam issue?

Also, if you bought your car from the ORIGINAL OWNER, then you just need to fill out some forms (what forms?) and the warranty will still cover you?

Thanks in advance.
Yep. My IS350 is a 2006 and I'm just shy of 90K miles. So all warranties are no longer valid. The extended warranty put into effect by Lexus was the only reason I took it in to get the work done. I would contact your service rep and have him to pull up your vehicle. Asked the rep why I wasn't told about it in the last year that I've owned the car (and took it to them for all maintenance...), he gave a non-answer...answer. I was annoyed, but let it go since it looked like it would be taken care of.

If you bought the car from the original owner, then Lexus will provide the paperwork in order to transfer the warranty into your name.

Last edited by DLPTony; 08-28-12 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-28-12, 12:55 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you might be confused here...

Lexus extended the power-train warranty to IS350 owners who experienced a different issue to 100,000 miles.

That happened a while ago.

Far as I know that's the only mass extension they've done.... it would certainly cover this issue, but it's not due to this issue, and was not given to "all" IS owners at all, just 350 owners impacted by the valve spring recall

And FWIW a water pump should also be covered under powertrain warranty.
Old 08-30-12, 01:10 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I think you might be confused here...

Lexus extended the power-train warranty to IS350 owners who experienced a different issue to 100,000 miles.

That happened a while ago.

Far as I know that's the only mass extension they've done.... it would certainly cover this issue, but it's not due to this issue, and was not given to "all" IS owners at all, just 350 owners impacted by the valve spring recall

And FWIW a water pump should also be covered under powertrain warranty.
I'm not confused...this is what the service rep told me. The car is fixed, and I didn't have to pay for that specific repair.
Old 09-03-12, 07:19 AM
boss22
Driver

I Used to have Mobil1 5W30 Full Synthetic and cranking at cold starts
I changed that crap on Castrol Edge Titanum 5W30 full synthetic and gone!!!! Nothing now.
I bought it at Walmart for a little over 25 bucks for 4qt and problem solved.
Mobil one is piece of crap and turns dark brown so fast. I have 3k miles on Castrol Edge now and it is light brown yet.
Also the engine seems like to be better throttle response and running smooth.

Change your oil and keep it always on maximum on dipstick - thats it.

P.S. Always do an OEM oil fiter it's a good idea.
Old 09-06-12, 01:33 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by boss22
I Used to have Mobil1 5W30 Full Synthetic and cranking at cold starts
I changed that crap on Castrol Edge Titanum 5W30 full synthetic and gone!!!! Nothing now.
I bought it at Walmart for a little over 25 bucks for 4qt and problem solved.
Mobil one is piece of crap and turns dark brown so fast. I have 3k miles on Castrol Edge now and it is light brown yet.
Also the engine seems like to be better throttle response and running smooth.

Change your oil and keep it always on maximum on dipstick - thats it.

P.S. Always do an OEM oil fiter it's a good idea.
Geez man... Where were you several posts back?

I didn't have to pay for the repair, but I'm curious about the oil. The dealership here will only use a synthetic blend, but I'm interested in which manufacturer. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-07-12, 12:07 PM
08lexus350
Driver

i am experiencing the same issue, started about 3 days ago but my car is a reconstructed title, would it be covered under the extended warranty? also is it safe to still drive the car?
Old 09-07-12, 12:24 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 08lexus350
i am experiencing the same issue, started about 3 days ago but my car is a reconstructed title, would it be covered under the extended warranty? also is it safe to still drive the car?
A rebuilt title/reconstructed title vehicle has it manufacturer warranty null and void regardless of mileage/age of said vehicle. I'm not even sure if a dealer will even work on said vehicle even if you were paying for repairs out of your pocket.
Old 09-09-12, 08:53 AM
soFreshIS
Driver

So what's the problem just oil? Just heard mine making noise. It's at 64k
Old 09-11-12, 05:56 PM
boss22
Driver

Originally Posted by DLPTony
Geez man... Where were you several posts back?

I didn't have to pay for the repair, but I'm curious about the oil. The dealership here will only use a synthetic blend, but I'm interested in which manufacturer. Thanks for the tip!
Sorry I must have misread something.
Anyways I had a Mobil 1 5W30 full synthetic and problem occurred then switched to Castrol Edge titanum full synthetic 5W30 and problem gone. It's worth to try. Oil cost me about 50bucks (2x5qt) along with oil filter (OEM ONLY!!!!) then I've done it by myself and I always will . Forget about syntec blend or sh..t like that specially when you don't know what brand the oil is - just forget it...
Buy oil directly from the store and change by yourself or somebody who is handy and have look what exact stuff will go into ur engine, I know that these days dealers don't give a crap about what they put to ur engine...

Last edited by boss22; 09-11-12 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-16-12, 11:13 AM
08lexus350
Driver

what parts do i need to order since i have to do it on my own, anyone know the part name and what to do??? i have a 08 is350... also I'm not sure what happened to my car since I'm in north dakota but my brother took it out for a ride (in PA) and said something serious happened engine started to make crazy noises and he needed it towed.. i still have to talk to him to ask in detail what happened. but anyone have a idea what could have went wrong??
Old 09-19-12, 10:35 PM
DIJohn46
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DIJohn46

Just an update:

I disconnected my sub-woofer in the beginning of the month because I went out of town a couple of times.....and I haven't heard the start up noise since.

I'm going to try and reinstall the sub sometime soon and see if the start-up noise comes back.
Old 09-28-12, 11:16 AM
maniacbob
Driver

Originally Posted by boss22
Sorry I must have misread something.
Anyways I had a Mobil 1 5W30 full synthetic and problem occurred then switched to Castrol Edge titanum full synthetic 5W30 and problem gone. It's worth to try. Oil cost me about 50bucks (2x5qt) along with oil filter (OEM ONLY!!!!) then I've done it by myself and I always will . Forget about syntec blend or sh..t like that specially when you don't know what brand the oil is - just forget it...
Buy oil directly from the store and change by yourself or somebody who is handy and have look what exact stuff will go into ur engine, I know that these days dealers don't give a crap about what they put to ur engine...

You guys are right. I switched to Castrol Edge Full Synthetic 5w30, and have not gotten any cranking/knocking noise on startup for the past month. I'll probably stick with Castrol Edge from now on. Thanks yo!

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)