IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 03:20 PM
LPforever
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did the same thing took it to the dealership they replaced the cluster gauge the had to keep my car for like a week
Old 01-06-10, 02:07 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure the noise will eventually return for everyone, regardless of the fix, since none of the fixes are a solution to the underlying problem of the design of the engine.
Old 01-06-10, 05:39 PM
PTYIS2
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
I'm pretty sure the noise will eventually return for everyone, regardless of the fix, since none of the fixes are a solution to the underlying problem of the design of the engine.
A faulty design.......

Too bad Lexus doesnt give a danm about their customers by making faulty products and not fixing it once for all.

Im going to see how i fix this, my dealer doesnt want to cover it under the warranty and i dont want to sell it like this and pass the problem to someone else.

Shame on Lexus/Toyota.

JP
Old 01-11-10, 07:04 PM
Gainesvill
Driver School Candidate

I was "tipped" that this is mainly due to low oil on cars that use synthetic oil filled by dealerships, since they do not do fraction of quarts, they just put in up to the # of whole quarts, but less than the required amount.
Old 01-11-10, 08:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Gainesvill
I was "tipped" that this is mainly due to low oil on cars that use synthetic oil filled by dealerships, since they do not do fraction of quarts, they just put in up to the # of whole quarts, but less than the required amount.
That doesn't match my experience. Mobil 1, yes. Filled to full on the stick - yes definitely. Failed twice. Yes, I had the fix done once and had to have it done a second time. At least the F has half the number of oil controlled sprockets.
Old 01-12-10, 09:37 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gainesvill
I only used regular oil, and it was never low, and I had this problem for months. so I don't think it has anything to do with synthetic, or low oil. I believe it is what Toyota says it is, a design flaw.
Old 01-13-10, 07:29 AM
RJLEXUS96
Driver School Candidate

There are 2 repairs here. The first one is as soon as you press the start button but before the car starts there is a short grind from the instrument cluster---warranty(new cluster). The second is a short loud rattle from the engine just after start up-that is a cam gear noise that any Lexus dealer will cover for you as long as the DS can duplicate the noise.
Old 01-13-10, 01:58 PM
VTLexus
Driver

Has anyone had luck getting this service taken care of in the DC area? I took my car to Pohanka, and they said they need to replicate the problem before they will work on it. They are taking the easy way out IMO.

Also, I didn't read the entire 36 pages of threads, but is it recommended to get this fixed?
Old 01-13-10, 02:09 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Not to jump on the band wagon here, but this is something i noticed awhile back when i first owned my '03 4.7L V8 4runner. I didnt notice it at the time of purchase but after regular driving and it only did this from a cold start in the mornings or after a few days of it sitting. A Clunking sound on start-up. Always concerned me but i ended trading the car in one year because the v8 was a gas drinking beast though toruqe 330ft-lbs at 3000 rpm was awesome.. Thank god i never had this problem on my 2Gs 400.. (knock on wood)
Old 01-13-10, 07:14 PM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by Technique
This is disappointing to hear. Mine has been cam grinding free for about a year now.
Old 01-13-10, 08:12 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I'm gonna try and get this done before my warranty is up. Can't get them to replicate the noise. Any ideas on the best way to replicate the grinding?
Old 01-13-10, 09:07 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VikH
I'm gonna try and get this done before my warranty is up. Can't get them to replicate the noise. Any ideas on the best way to replicate the grinding?
at first my car was doing it every so often, i waited untill it did it like ol' faithful every morning when i went to work before i took it to the dealer.

so one day after work i dropped my car off at the dealer, told them it only happened on cold start up, they gave me a loaner and said they would start it up tomorrow morning to hear the noise.

the next morning they started it up and of course there it was, so they replaced the cams and had it ready for me that late afternoon, 3pm-ish.

down time for my car wasn't even a full 24 hours, plus i had a loaner

edit: what i told the dealer exactly to look for was a "metal on metal starter like grind. only on cold start"
Old 01-14-10, 06:19 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VikH
Did you try using the video as evidence posted in this thread?

Getting it to replicate never seems to work when you need it to. Cold starts are the most likely times, but you should let your dealer know this and see if a video will suffice, since the noise is so elusive when trying to actually produce it.
Old 01-22-10, 09:40 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The first time i heard this noise was after a lex dealer oil change. It happened 2 or 3 times on cold starts and then it went away. I haven't heard it in about 1.5 or so months.

But as stated in this thread, i'm going to wait until it becomes something i hear EVERY morning before bringing it to the dealer. Hopefully it won't make the noise again, but we'll see...
Old 02-22-10, 02:16 PM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

I'm at 39k miles and 2 weeks in a row every morning I get that start up knocking noise. I got it on video today and bringing it in next week. Should I print the TSIB EG019-07 or the TSIB EG019-08 to bring along?

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)