IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 04:23 PM
darrelld
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CthruIS350
i hear a clicking noise when in D but not in neutral or parked mode. cant really hear it unless you are at a drive thru and the sound bounces off the wall. not sure if thtas wat u guys are all talking about... but anyone in CA bay area who knows this issue and wanna check it out for me let me know.
Just got the TSB done, will report back if the noise returns.
Old 06-10-08, 05:10 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

Got the car back from doing the TSB as well. I will report in a few thousand miles of impressions. I swear the car feels more responsive now.
Old 06-10-08, 08:45 PM
erikbaker
Rookie

i hear a clicking noise when in D but not in neutral or parked mode. cant really hear it unless you are at a drive thru and the sound bounces off the wall. not sure if thtas wat u guys are all talking about...
I think what you are hearing are the injectors. If so that is normal, yes the sound sucks, but it is normal. Take it to your dealer to be safe though.

Got the car back from doing the TSB as well. I will report in a few thousand miles of impressions. I swear the car feels more responsive now.
Did your cars vin# fall in line with those in the TSIB? Not all 07's do. Mine dosnt, but my dealer thinks he can get my car to qualify for it.
Old 06-10-08, 09:49 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

Erik, according to the TSB provided in this thread, no my car fell out of the range by about 400 cars. But when I got to the dealer, my usual SA showed me the TSB on his machine. Sure enough, it was well within range. I see this to be a huge problem in the future for others, as even this last week Tampa Bay Lexus was out of parts for the procedure. This means the problem being repaired alot.

None the less, they got it fixed, and the ES350 loaner was MEH to say the least.
Old 06-11-08, 07:57 AM
erikbaker
Rookie

Erik, according to the TSB provided in this thread, no my car fell out of the range by about 400 cars. But when I got to the dealer, my usual SA showed me the TSB on his machine. Sure enough, it was well within range. I see this to be a huge problem in the future for others
The TSB I printed from the internet shows that my car is way off from the numbers. But the dealers showed mine to be about 1000 off. They are pretty sure they still repair mine under the TSB though.

I agree after looking at this thread that this will be a big issue for IS owners in the future. I think I even saw a 08 with this problem some where in this thread.
Old 06-11-08, 08:46 AM
chaos6458
Pole Position

I LIKE my IS so far except for going through this ISSUE.
I'm at a point where I'm thinking about changing this car since I don't know if it's going to do serious damage to the engine or not....

For the guys who went through TSIB, do they lift the whole engine out to change the cam-shaft?

If so, that's ANOTHER problem b/c it sounds like a MAJOR work.
My car is barely a year old and I DON'T LIKE having MAJOR work done in my car.

SHOOT..... dillema..... what to do.... what do to.....
Old 06-11-08, 03:16 PM
vintage
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is going in this weekend for the cam gear replacement....I started my car like five times for the tech and he didn't say anything like he couldn't hear it.....all of a sudden with no expression he says its the cam gears making the noise. He did research on where mine fell number wise and set the appt. I will get back to ya after this weekend. I'm not scared....its under warranty...they will make it right.
Old 06-11-08, 04:02 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

If it's under TSIB, do they still need to hear it? I mean the TSIB probably tells them what they need to replace. This dealer didn't hear it so they didn't want to fix it until they hear it.
Old 06-11-08, 04:20 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it depends on the dealership. On my 250, I had this noise and they couldn't replicate but did the TSB anyway. To my surprising the replicated the noise on my 350 and just got the car back on Monday. My service advisor just said that there is an updated TSB for the 08s but didn't mention anything about VINs falling within.
Old 06-12-08, 11:55 AM
erikbaker
Rookie

My service advisor just said that there is an updated TSB for the 08s but didn't mention anything about VINs falling within.
I dont understand why 08's are having this promblem. Lexus should have had this issue fixed by then. Why would they say which VIN numbers qualify if they havent fixed the promblem yet?
My car goes under the knife on Monday.
Old 06-12-08, 07:22 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

anyone fixing this problem at lindsay lexus? How did it go and who did you take it to? My SA Brad isn't up to date with the ordered parts and it's being more than 3 months since he ordered the parts. I got to email or call him in order for me to know if that parts are in and the parts are still not arrived yet. The pohanka service isn't good either and they charged for a loaner and it's far from my house.
Old 06-19-08, 11:00 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darrelld
Just got the TSB done, will report back if the noise returns.
Which dealership in dallas did you take it? Any problems so far?
Old 06-20-08, 03:13 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

My service manager told me for 18 years that he's been working for lexus, he's never seen a car with so many squeaks, rattles, and the cam gear noise problems. He even went on to say that with all the work that goes into the cam gear TSB, he doesn't think they're really doing anything at all.

I hope you guys get everything fixed and this issue doesn't come back.
Old 06-20-08, 04:36 AM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by Jay.Diem
Which dealership in dallas did you take it? Any problems so far?
I went to Park Place in Plano, no issues so far.
Old 06-21-08, 08:17 PM
teracon
Driver

Originally Posted by ThoLe
anyone fixing this problem at lindsay lexus? How did it go and who did you take it to? My SA Brad isn't up to date with the ordered parts and it's being more than 3 months since he ordered the parts. I got to email or call him in order for me to know if that parts are in and the parts are still not arrived yet. The pohanka service isn't good either and they charged for a loaner and it's far from my house.

Took mine in about (15) months ago to Lindsay (SA Tammy) after all of the instruments lights went off along with not being able to go pass 30 MPH. They kept it for about a week. On occasion I still hear the "clank-crank" noise. I plan on keeping the car for another (12) months and trade it.....

If SA Brad is not doing his job, then go to the Service Manager - bad service is unacceptable. As for the Pohanka loaner, I would have told them to eat me. I live in Waldorf and put over (800) miles on the Lindsay loaner.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)