IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 09:33 AM
PTYIS2
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tsib #?

Im a subscriber to Tundrasolutions.com and searched the knowledgebase and was not able to find the TSIB.

Whats the TSIB # for this problem?

Thanks,

PTYIS2
Old 08-10-07, 10:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

EG019-07 for the 2GR-FSE, and EG017-07 for the 4GR-FSE.
Old 08-10-07, 10:23 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesn't seem right: Some 2005 – 2006 model year Avalon vehicles may display evidence of a small oil leak, located where the Bank 1 cylinder head, engine block, and timing cover meet. Please use the repair procedure below to diagnose and correct this condition.
Old 08-10-07, 04:36 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Here is the TSIB for the engine noise! It only lists the 350 and its 38 pages long.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rmsm5l

The file is 1mb which is bigger than what CL allows so I had to upload it elsewhere. It will soon be available on my website as well.

Here is the one for the 250:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mwqfoi

Last edited by carlos; 08-10-07 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-10-07, 05:15 PM
rfsahig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my car back after a month at Lexus of Jacksonville. Engine Cranking Noise problem solved and fixed. I think the info I am about to post as already been posted, but seeing that this thread had grown - i'll repost.

Problem:
"Customer states sometimes on a cold start, when cranking the vehicle a strange rattling noise is heard"

Cause:
"Intake camshaft gear assemblys need replaced as per TSBI #EG019-07, EG7027 ENG KNOCK @ COLD STRT 06-07 IS250/350 07"

Parts Replaced:
(2) 13050-31120 GEAR ASSY, CAMSHAFT
(1) 11213-31040 GASKET, CYLINDER HEA
(1) 11214-31020 GASKET, CYLINDER HEA
(1) 90430-16016 GASKET
(2) 90430-16012 GASKET
(1) 90430-16016 GASKET
(2) 90430-16012 GASKET
(1) 17176-31060 GASKET, AIR SURGE TA
(2) 17177-31060 GASKET, INTAKE MANIF
(2) 90430-A0001 GASKET
(4) 11159-0P010 GASKET, CAMSHAFT BEA
(2) 90430-16012 GASKET
(2) 00272-SLLC2 SUPER LONG LIFE COOL

Hope this helps. Lexus of Jacksonville has been nothing more than impressive and helpful with this problem. They really took the effort to duplicate the problem by holding the car for 3 days and sure enough they heard the "clanking" noise. The parts replaced are apparently hard to get a hold of (back-order?) so I had to wait a month ... well worth it though. Gave me a 07 GS as a loaner. As much as I enjoyed the GS though, its great to be back in an IS350.
Old 08-10-07, 06:07 PM
lexi06
Rookie

Originally Posted by car_lost
Here is the TSIB for the engine noise! It only lists the 350 and its 38 pages long.

The file is 1mb which is bigger than what CL allows so I had to upload it elsewhere. It will soon be available on my website as well.

Here is the one for the 250:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mwqfoi

WOW looks like a lot of labor to get it fixed. Does the noise create any
premature wear on the affected parts? If it doesn't create any more stress
on the affected parts, is it worth doing all that to a new engine?
Old 08-16-07, 02:14 PM
nch2oracer
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering, who has had this problem fixed, and have you noticed any difference in the engine performance, fuel economy, etc...?

My car has been at the dealer for a week now, waiting on the parts to fix this problem. I'm not sure how long it will take. I was told two weeks on the parts to arrive.

I bought the car with the intention of paying it off and driving it around for a few years. Now, with work being done on the engine, I don't trust keeping the thing past the powertrain warranty, which may end in 4-5 years at the rate that I'm accumulating mileage, now that engine work will have been done at only 20k miles. Should I start looking for a new car? I don't want to end up shelling out major $ if this thing breaks after warranty. It sucks because I paid it off the same week it was checked into the dealer.

Any thoughts on keeping this car for 5-6 years after this?
Old 08-16-07, 07:11 PM
rfsahig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nch2oracer
I was wondering, who has had this problem fixed, and have you noticed any difference in the engine performance, fuel economy, etc...?

My car has been at the dealer for a week now, waiting on the parts to fix this problem. I'm not sure how long it will take. I was told two weeks on the parts to arrive.

I bought the car with the intention of paying it off and driving it around for a few years. Now, with work being done on the engine, I don't trust keeping the thing past the powertrain warranty, which may end in 4-5 years at the rate that I'm accumulating mileage, now that engine work will have been done at only 20k miles. Should I start looking for a new car? I don't want to end up shelling out major $ if this thing breaks after warranty. It sucks because I paid it off the same week it was checked into the dealer.

I got my car back after a month of it sitting at the dealership for parts. The car feels like it's got more "umph"... realize though, that I had a GS300 for a loaner for a month .. so it just maybe that I was away from my car for way too long. No more cranking .. nice pick up... excellent customer service - I'm satisfied. If I were to have a complaint, the only one I would make is that before my IS350 I had a G35 Coupe for 3 years and I had NO problems with it at all. It may have not been the nice luxurious car that the IS is for it's class, but the G35 Coupe was a pure pleasure to drive.

I have yet to keep a car past its powertrain warranty purely for that reason. I would like to enjoy "peace of mind" when I drive my vehicle, knowing that if something does go wrong, I don't go broke, especially for a vehicle I paid 42k for. My suggestion is to keep your eyes open for what's to come. People change, lifestyles change, and cars change. Maybe five years from now there will be flying cars (I was let down in 2000)

Good luck and enjoy the IS when you get her back.
Old 08-16-07, 10:39 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nch2oracer

Lexus did not build their reliability rating over night, I would feel confident holding onto the car for at least a decade.

That said, why not bring your concerns up with your service manager as well as 800-25-Lexus. Ask them if they may considering extending your powertrain warranty past the 72k mile mark that comes with the car because of your concerns.

Strangely my noise has completely disappeared, after taking my car to the drag strip for a few 1/4 mile runs. Maybe my engine just had to warm up a bit??
Old 08-17-07, 03:22 PM
jmh743
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThoLe
jmh743, did you get your car back? I have the same problem.
Haven't had it serviced yet. Still waiting for backordered parts.
Old 08-17-07, 08:17 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Originally Posted by car_lost
That doesn't seem right: Some 2005 – 2006 model year Avalon vehicles may display evidence of a small oil leak, located where the Bank 1 cylinder head, engine block, and timing cover meet. Please use the repair procedure below to diagnose and correct this condition.
Yes they had a leaking hose on the back side of the engine. I have seen the es350,rx350,is250/350 leak through the cover. Just make sure when it gets serviced if your not at a lexus dealership they check above the power steering pump for a trail oil.
Old 08-17-07, 08:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

What power steering pump? On an ISx50?
Old 08-17-07, 08:35 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What power steering pump? On an ISx50?
your right haahaha mind lapse, same area though, right side looking through the wheel well with a flash light.
Old 08-23-07, 07:35 PM
taze
Driver School Candidate

count me in
noticed the problem first last week @ 17.7K
at least once a day. either when starting my car in the morning or before driving home from work in the afternoon.
Old 08-25-07, 08:55 AM
Omega99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There is a TSIB. Your dealer is an idiot.
Some dealers know about this and others refuse to acknowledge there is a problem at all. I'm taking my 350 into my dealer Monday for the rear view mirror TSIB and the engine rattle. I made my appointment last week (so I could be sure to get an IS for my courtesy car ) and I just now found the TSIB for the engine rattle. I'll bring it to my service reps attention when I take it in. Below is link to the TSIB for engine rattle and knock.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)