IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 08:27 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange, dealer couldn't dedect noise, and I've not heard it since I took the car to the drag for a few 1/4 mile runs. Guess I'll just keep listening...?
Old 06-25-07, 01:08 PM
vertcobra9
Driver

I recently just started getting this noise... at first i though it was some loose metal part hitting one of my suspension components but it goes away after a second or 2 like you guys have stated. Im going to make an apointment with my SA and im going to print out the part numbers for him to look at.
Old 06-27-07, 01:31 PM
GraniteZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently brought my '06 IS 350 in for an updated DVD for the nav. While there, I had them check out the latest on the engine cranking noise and if they could replicate it (as I had). After the sucessfull installation of the new Nav DVD (thank you... I'm no longer lost), here is what they found:

"Inspected vehicle and confirmed excessive noise during steering lock acutator operation. Steering lock actuator needs replacement. Parts ordered, covered under warranty."

So, I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 06-27-07, 02:13 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GraniteZ
"Inspected vehicle and confirmed excessive noise during steering lock acutator operation. Steering lock actuator needs replacement. Parts ordered, covered under warranty.".
Just doesn't sound right to me.
Old 08-03-07, 02:07 PM
250-awd
Rookie

I took my car in for the noise and they couldnt reproduce it within the 30 min or so that i was waiting so they sent me packing unless I was willing to leave my car there. They would however not give me a loaner because they didnt actually hear the noise so i took my car back. Is this normal? Can anyone recommend another dealer in the Toronto area?
Old 08-08-07, 08:37 PM
jmh743
Driver School Candidate

Noticed this problem right after getting my 350. Waited until the initial service to address it. Made sure to bring in a video clip I shot that clearly demonstrated the sound (you should try this). They initially did not hear the sound, but was told by their district management to keep the car for a few days without starting it so they could try to reproduce the sound. After the weekend they told me they heard it and would repair the problems under warranty even though there was only a TSB on the 250 and not the 350. Downside is that the parts are on backorder and not expected until September. Given that this problem is prevalent enough to warrant parts backorder you would think Lexus would be better about taking care of us that come to them complaining of this annoying noise. BTW, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It was extremely helpful in diagnosing this problem and getting it addressed.

Last edited by jmh743; 08-09-07 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-09-07, 07:19 PM
PTYIS2
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry 6 month and still with the noise

Im my case the Dealer they cant fix it if they cant replicated and record values on ECU during startup with the noise. They already heard the noise, but we havent being lucky enought the last two times they tried to record ECU readings, noise didnt happened.

I being able to identify a pattern: It never happens in the morning at cold starts. If in the morning i use the car for at least 1 hour and wait 3 hours it will make the noise, this usually dont happen to me since i live 2 miles from my office, but if i go to do something else prior going to my office and I start the car again during lunch, it will make the sound. The same happens if during lunch i drive for an hour or so, then at 5 when start the car again, the noise is there.

The other night i went out to dinner with my wife and got to the restaurant at 9pm and when started the car at 1130 it made the noise. But the worst was that the restaurant was outdoor in a plaza and park my car in front of the outside tables so when it made the noise many people turn to see what was happenning. Very embarassing!!!!!!

I cant beleive that Lexus can led that their brand is being damage by a factory defect that they wont advise via a TSB so its fixed. Too bad i decided to switch from a german made car, because i thought Japanesse car were more reliable.

For sure in the future i will reconsider going back to a german made car.

PTYIS2

P.S. Is there any way that the moderators of the forum can send this thread to Lexus/Toyota Corporation so they are aware that their customers are not satisfied with this issue.
Old 08-09-07, 09:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

There is a TSIB. Your dealer is an idiot.
Old 08-09-07, 09:51 PM
rfsahig
Driver School Candidate

Finally getting my car back from the dealership tomorrow after a month. Brought the car in for an oil change and maintenance on the nav and decided to let them know about that odd intermittent cranking noise. The service tech found the TSIB and kept my car. The parts though, were on back order and finally came in on Monday. Apparently the cam/gear shafts had to be replaced along with some other parts of the engine. I would have gotten my car back on wednesday, but I received a call from the service attendant saying that the engine was back together but the Car wasn't running the way it should be. (I appreciated the honesty) So let's hope the car run the way it did .. or maybe even better. Will update everyone tomorrow afternoon.
Old 08-09-07, 11:37 PM
250-awd
Rookie

I really do not know what to do at this point. I took my car in and left it the whole day, and told them to leave it outside because the noise really only comes when it is warm outside. I pick up my car, they said they couldn't hear it, then they tell me they have to pull my car out of the garage (no wonder they couldn't hear it, because I TOLD THEM TO LEAVE IT OUTSIDE). I go to starbucks right after, sit for about 20 min, get back in my car and guess what? The noise is there. I am so fed up with the service with the dealership. Today I called another dealership and asked to see if they can diagnose the problem and they said sure, but if there is a problem, they wouldn't give me a loaner because I didn't buy the car from them????? WTF is going on with Lexus' service?

I am not exaggerating when I say that if my car was not leased, I would have sold it about 3-4 months ago because I have had better service with EVERY other car company I have worked with (including Mazda). I can also say that unless some sort of miracle happens, I will never in my life touch another Lexus again. No matter how much i love their cars, it just isn't worth my frustration. Every car has problems, granted, but I am seriously getting sick of waiting in the dealership for hours at a time and being left without a car for an entire day while my 1 year old Lexus sits at the dealer, not even getting properly diagnosed.

If I am asking for too much, I would appreciate it if somebody told me right out that I am being an a@#hole. BTW, I also asked them about the brake TSIB and my service advisor said that there is nothing that can be done and that it is just the type of brakes that the car has. Why should I be forced to print out a copy of a TSIB and show it to my service advisor to get proper warranty service? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that his job? Why am I playing the mechanic all of a sudden?

Your input is much appreciated.
Old 08-10-07, 06:40 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There is a TSIB. Your dealer is an idiot.
Do you have a copy of it or perhaps the number? I'd love to add it to my site and get it performed as well... this noise is driving me nuts.
Old 08-10-07, 07:59 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

A one-day subscription to TIS is $10. That's where everything is. Unfortunately, if I download it and give it to you to post on the Internet, I am in violation of my agreement with TIS, and I could have my account suspended. I didn't spend $365 to have my account suspended, so my advice is to get a one day account and download to your heart's content.
Old 08-10-07, 08:05 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
A one-day subscription to TIS is $10. That's where everything is. Unfortunately, if I download it and give it to you to post on the Internet, I am in violation of my agreement with TIS, and I could have my account suspended. I didn't spend $365 to have my account suspended, so my advice is to get a one day account and download to your heart's content.
I already did that once, hence the website I made

But thanks, good to know its on there.
Old 08-10-07, 08:57 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

jmh743, did you get your car back? I have the same problem.
Old 08-10-07, 09:01 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

damn restrictions on my work computer dont allow me to download the SVG viewer. great... hopefully i can get it to work at home.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)