IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 06:41 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It may be quiet now, but it's not fixed. It will come back, and likely at a time when you'd rather it didn't. When mine did it in front of my father-in-law (a Mercedes guy), and he looked at me like "This is why you buy Mercedes" I was ready to move on immediately.
Yes, but I think it has the same chance of coming back even if I got the "fix"

Besides, the car goes back to the dealer in just over 1 month when the lease is up...

And besides, I already was embarrassed with a triple threat with a relative in the car (a Mercedes owner)... Here's what happened:

1) I start the car up and it rattles (*RED FACE*)
2) I pull out of the driveway and I get the loud "BANG/POP" from the frame of the car that's so infamous (*SUPER RED FACE*)
3) He states "This is a lexus?"
4) We drive down the road and multiple rattles surface from the dash
5) I say "Ya ya, I know"...

lol
Old 10-27-09, 08:02 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leescape
Wow are you serious? I uploaded the actual portion of the INVOICE and it's right on this page. It contains all the parts numbers and other relevant information.
And somehow I skipped over it?!?! How will I ever get to sleep tonite?
Old 10-27-09, 08:08 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leescape
I never realized that an 10+ hour job was considered an easy fix. Good luck though, at least you'll get a loaner for a couple of days.

EDIT:

And here's a portion of my invoice in case anyone wanted to see it.

Is this what you're referring to? What am I missing...?
Old 10-27-09, 09:28 PM
imkraziguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same metal hitting sound too...go back to dealer...they replaced both cam gears & gasket
Old 10-30-09, 11:02 AM
aron7awol
Driver School Candidate

I brought my car in a month ago, sent them the video, let them know I was aware of the 5 iterations of TSIBs. They said they couldn't reproduce the problem and therefore couldn't fix it. I was pretty upset. When I went to pick the car up, I bumped into a friend of a friend who happens to be a mechanic at my dealership. I switched to his service team and they fixed it for me this week.

Side note: I got a 2010 HS 250h as a loaner. It's got some impressive technology. All in all, a pretty nice car.
Old 10-30-09, 03:12 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Technique
FWIW, I didn't do anything about it and the noise went away by itself... It has been gone for several months now... I feel better this way than having someone tear my engine apart...
I'm in the same boat as you. Mine started to do this early this year and have not heard it since July. Hope it stays away.
Old 10-30-09, 03:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Engines don't heal. It's coming back.
Old 10-31-09, 04:08 PM
caudlek
Driver

Great quote, gotta remember that one!

And, even after the "fix" it may come back ..... it has for me anyway .... but not often ( once every few weeks, not as loud as before).

KC
Old 11-02-09, 11:58 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caudlek
Great quote, gotta remember that one!

And, even after the "fix" it may come back ..... it has for me anyway .... but not often ( once every few weeks, not as loud as before).

KC
Correct... Basically, nothing permanently fixes it, not the fix, not anything

Actually, there is a fix... Trade it in and get an IS-F
Old 11-17-09, 07:37 PM
vvsabvv
Driver School Candidate

has anybody gotten this fix done in the nyc area? if so please list the dealer you went to. Thanks
Old 11-21-09, 02:13 PM
BenL
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
I have this problem for about 2 years without knowing exactly what it was. I thought it was related to my starter. I found many great explanations in this thread. Thanks to the main contributors. I sent this information to my dealer and he agreed to make the repair.
Thanks again!
Ben
Old 11-21-09, 02:46 PM
leescape
Driver

Originally Posted by BenL
Hi,
I have this problem for about 2 years without knowing exactly what it was. I thought it was related to my starter. I found many great explanations in this thread. Thanks to the main contributors. I sent this information to my dealer and he agreed to make the repair.
Thanks again!
Ben
No problem Ben. I'm glad somebody around here actually reads the threads instead of asking the same questions a million times. Good luck!
Old 11-24-09, 02:06 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

lol, the noise came back for me, although now it's not quite as loud, but it came back all of a sudden yesterday.
Old 11-24-09, 04:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
lol, the noise came back for me, although now it's not quite as loud, but it came back all of a sudden yesterday.
Time to think about trading in for that F...it worked for me!
Old 01-02-10, 07:57 PM
PTYIS2
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry Noise is Back after 2 years of the TSIB repair

Dont know how or why, but the noise is back.

Over two years ago I posted https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post2968926 once i got the TSIB repair done to my car. Since then the noise was gone until about three weeks ago when first i started to feel the car slower (less peppy) and later on when i used and left it for 2 hours to rest and it makes the noise.

When the repair was done 2 years ago the mechanic told me that the cam gears that they changed seems the be identical as the one that came with the car, that the only diference was the part#, he also mentioned that prior to removing the original gear it seems that it has skipped one tooth (this could explain why the car feels slower). They removed the original ones and replaced with the new part # ones even thought it was still a mistery how these new cam gears that looks identically will fix the problem.

Last week i took it to the dealer, arrived as 930am and sat there for 2 hours and after the 2 hours i call the mechanic so he can hear that the noise was back, and as expected he heard it.

The funny part now is that my local lexus dealer (keep in mind that i live in Panama.... central america) its saying that since the car is already over the warranty limit, 3 years here, they might not cover it again (i heard that they have made a quote before for arround $9K to get this done), but trust me, if i need to write or call Lexus regional offices, i will.

Life can be so ironic, prior to my IS i had an A4 and decided to go back to japanese car because of the "realiability" but it seems that this aint true no more..... besides de startup noise, dash rattle, i also had issues with the 4 power locks getting damaged at different times (only one covered by the warranty). I was considering upgrading to an IS-F but i have lost trust in Lexus/Toyota.

BTW, does anyone have the link to the new TSIB L-SB-0156-08? when the original job was done the dealer used the EG-01907 dated July 2007 and i understand that the cam gears have gone with several replacements since then, so ill like them to try the new ones.

keep you posted.

Last edited by PTYIS2; 01-02-10 at 08:45 PM. Reason: info missing.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)