IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Sales Rep gives OFFICIAL info on ISF

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-06, 09:50 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But then again..what the hell do we know!? the car hasn't even been released yet, so lets stop with the "as a matter of fact" speculations. We know little to nothing about this car, so how is everyone already spitting out numbers like they've been driving it for months now. Don't want to sound like an a-hole... but I hate it when people take a stance on their own speculations as the be all end all facts\truth. urks me!
Old 10-09-06, 10:06 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
ff, I think there is a lack of communication between us.
I don't see the IS-F as the halo car that'll run that mid 3 second 0-60
In that case, your status as a credible source for conversation has been restored. As I re-read your comments, it's more clear that you weren't talking about the IS, necessarily. My fault.
Old 10-09-06, 10:09 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

LOL, don't do that! Keep arguing with me.
Originally Posted by Voltaire
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
BTW, I think Rockville and I had the exact some convo in Car Chat a few days ago.
Old 10-09-06, 10:29 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shoei
Gents, when will this obsession with HP ever end? Let me just say if the HP stats get to 400 HP, we are talking about a seriously expensive "little" Lexus. For the 1% to 5% of the car buying public who absolutely has to have this halo car, I salute you! Honestly, I think this car will be too expensive for what you get. This car will only appeal to the hard core CL member or the small amount of fence sitters who like fast Japanese cars. I do not think this car will appeal to the Euro car crowd. At this level of price and performance, you probably will not get gents who will cross shop this car with Mercedes AMG, BMW M and Audi S. IMHO

So Rock, my next question is how much coinage are we talking about in order to have ownage. We are talking in the neighborhood of $49,000 to $59,000 or some thing like $59,000 to $69,000. I’m just shooting off numbers and have no idea on how pricing work so please don’t flame me for those numbers.
So what's wrong with a lil' HP war - it's the backbone from which the term 'muscle car' evolved in the mid 50s - early 70s. I see absolutely nothing wrong with Lexus tinkering w/a 400+ HP IS for those who want to buy it. I say it makes alot more sense than a Cayenne Turbo S, AMG M65 or X5 4.8is, and these things sell like hot cakes . . .
Old 10-09-06, 10:32 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Correction, AMG ML63, not 65

HP wars are badass!
Old 10-09-06, 10:33 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8-sp transmission? Here we again. More AMG than M if you ask me.
Old 10-09-06, 12:04 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by socalJD
So what's wrong with a lil' HP war - it's the backbone from which the term 'muscle car' evolved in the mid 50s - early 70s. I see absolutely nothing wrong with Lexus tinkering w/a 400+ HP IS for those who want to buy it. I say it makes alot more sense than a Cayenne Turbo S, AMG M65 or X5 4.8is, and these things sell like hot cakes . . .
absolutely nothing...but I think lexus is not too concerned with horsepower, what theyre trying to perfect is handling..driving dynamics and horsepower in a compact package. Or so I would hope. Power is easy to achieve.. power, handling, and dynamics together is not.
Old 10-09-06, 12:40 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
what theyre trying to perfect is handling..driving dynamics
Honestly, I haven't seen any evidence that they're succeeding (or trying very hard), if that's their goal. I think their biggest concern is not alienating their core buyers, which means that we'll likely not see a decent-handling car roll off their assembly line anytime soon.

When you look at the car, it's on the right track. It has a real DW suspension, but yet still lacks the proper springs, shocks, bushings, and alignment that would make it handle well. (losing some weight wouldn't hurt either) If you had the money, and cared enough to keep the car for a long time, then I don't think it would be difficult at all to make the car handle like it should.
Old 10-09-06, 01:44 PM
daveortega
Driver School Candidate

absolutely nothing...but I think lexus is not too concerned with horsepower, what theyre trying to perfect is handling..driving dynamics and horsepower in a compact package. Or so I would hope. Power is easy to achieve.. power, handling, and dynamics together is not.
I think the IS350 is proof that they ARE concerned with horsepower and less about handling (relative to their competition).
Old 10-09-06, 02:45 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by daveortega
I think the IS350 is proof that they ARE concerned with horsepower and less about handling (relative to their competition).

What i meant was that after Lexus had recieved so much criticism on the subpar handling characteristics of the 2IS, the next IS in development should be geared towards silencing such criticisms.
Old 10-09-06, 03:36 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

What i meant was that after Lexus had recieved so much criticism on the subpar handling characteristics of the 2IS, the next IS in development should be geared towards silencing such criticisms.
the almighty dollar will determine this....
Old 10-09-06, 04:30 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

All I can say to that, is consider the source of the criticism. I can guarantee you that, for every person who loves cars for all the reasons that Car & Driver insists are essential, there are at least a dozen others who simply want a smooth, comfortable ride.

Every time I read something about how "poorly" the IS handles, I roll my eyes. I took a freeway offramp today at 75 that I would have to take at 40 in most cars. The car corners well, the tires stick like glue, and has very little body roll. With all of that, the IS350 is still COMFORTABLE. I drive my car to get places, and I don't want the crap kicked out of me in the name of pulling 1 g on a skidpad once in a blue moon.

I put much more stock in magazine long term tests. Those reflect a car's use in real world conditions. Simply getting an IS350 for the day and beating the hell out of it around a racetrack is nonrepresentative of how most drivers treat/use their cars. Believe what you'd like, but Lexus will not abandon their core buyer demographic's wants and needs in favor of kissing some automag's rear end.
Old 10-09-06, 04:56 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

i'd rather buy a GTR.. 450hp estimated.. but its a diff class so can't say much
Old 10-09-06, 05:13 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Don't underestimate Lexus' understanding of their customer base .....

The 2IS satisfies the two key attributes of a Lexus, a) luxury and b) reliability. They can get better reviews from the car nuts at the magazines if it handled a bit better, but would it sell more cars?? Probably not. Lexus has sold some 40,000 IS' so far this year and that is pretty much on track for what they projected. You gotta' know they did their homework on what was important to their clients.

I have no qualms with the handling of my IS350 w/ sport package. I can't push that car to 8/10th's capability at my skill level. So why should I worry it can't handle as well as some other cars?? It's fine for me because I like, a) the luxury aspect and b) the reliability. So they hit the mark with me.
Old 10-10-06, 07:33 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 15951
All I can say to that, is consider the source of the criticism. I can guarantee you that, for every person who loves cars for all the reasons that Car & Driver insists are essential, there are at least a dozen others who simply want a smooth, comfortable ride.

Every time I read something about how "poorly" the IS handles, I roll my eyes. I took a freeway offramp today at 75 that I would have to take at 40 in most cars. The car corners well, the tires stick like glue, and has very little body roll. With all of that, the IS350 is still COMFORTABLE. I drive my car to get places, and I don't want the crap kicked out of me in the name of pulling 1 g on a skidpad once in a blue moon.

I put much more stock in magazine long term tests. Those reflect a car's use in real world conditions. Simply getting an IS350 for the day and beating the hell out of it around a racetrack is nonrepresentative of how most drivers treat/use their cars. Believe what you'd like, but Lexus will not abandon their core buyer demographic's wants and needs in favor of kissing some automag's rear end.

But then again, is this car not supposed to represent a new direction in the Lexus brand? Is Lexus not trying to appeal to the complete spectrum of drivers? I'm sure lexus is confident enough in building comfortable and luxurious cars for their key demographic, but from listening to the big wigs speak about the new direction of lexus design and appeal at car shows. One would come to think that this is indeed their intention, to develop vehicles that appeal to all types of drivers (both point a to point b in luxury drivers, and weekend track stars). On one end of the spectrum we have the ES350 on the other end we have the fabled LF-A super car....see what I mean. Oh and in no way does Lexus need to kiss anybody's butt. I mean Toyota Motor Corp is kind of a big deal, don't they run the world?

P.S. I don't think the IS handles poorly at all, I really don't understand how one could say that. maybe if you were comparing the IS to a porsche 911 gt2 or something.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 10-10-06 at 07:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Sales Rep gives OFFICIAL info on ISF