IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Salesman said not to do Synthetic Oil on first service

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-06, 04:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

That's my experience too with many, many bike and car engines, but every time I've posted that somewhere it seems to start some kind of jihad against the heretic (me).

I've also been told conventional oils are just as slippery as synthetics these days, so there really isn't much difference from a break-in perspective. It doesn't surprise me. Modern oils are pretty spectacular compared to what we had in the 70's and 80's.
Old 09-16-06, 04:54 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've also been told conventional oils are just as slippery as synthetics these days, so there really isn't much difference from a break-in perspective. It doesn't surprise me. Modern oils are pretty spectacular compared to what we had in the 70's and 80's.
That brings up a great topic for discussion. If modern oils are more than sufficient, and most of us are going to continue doing 5k oil changes anyway, then why spend more to use full synthetics? It just doesn't make sense for most people. I'm leasing, so I wouldn't bother regardless.

The other argument I see in favor of synthetics is engine longevity. However, I have yet to hear a story of a mechanic telling someone needing a rebuild that they could have avoided it all if they had only used full synthetic.
Old 09-16-06, 08:40 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
That brings up a great topic for discussion. If modern oils are more than sufficient, and most of us are going to continue doing 5k oil changes anyway, then why spend more to use full synthetics? It just doesn't make sense for most people. I'm leasing, so I wouldn't bother regardless.

The other argument I see in favor of synthetics is engine longevity. However, I have yet to hear a story of a mechanic telling someone needing a rebuild that they could have avoided it all if they had only used full synthetic.
The difference may lay with the longevity of the oils themselves; while conventional oils have certainly improved I'd be curious to see how well they maintain their protection qualities vs. full syn over the same number of hours in identical test parameters. High quality full syn oils can do some incredible things...I know an AMSoil dealer that does 30,000 intervals on his diesel dually that tows his camper all over the country (he's retired and does nothing but travel). His oil reports are spotless.

Regarding your last statement, rebuilds are usually the result of some other long term factor, not the particular oil used. Ask me how I know
Old 09-16-06, 09:30 PM
The Chad
Driver

In the S2000 community, people had problems with engines burning a lot of oil if they switched to synthetic too early, so much so that Honda Corporate issued a bulliten to all service centers to not use sythetic oil until 10k miles. It came with a special blended dino oil from Honda.

I made the change at 5k with no ill effects, and it may be "urban legend", but at least in that circle is seems to potentially be a problem.
Old 09-16-06, 09:54 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chad
In the S2000 community, people had problems with engines burning a lot of oil if they switched to synthetic too early, so much so that Honda Corporate issued a bulliten to all service centers to not use sythetic oil until 10k miles. It came with a special blended dino oil from Honda.

I made the change at 5k with no ill effects, and it may be "urban legend", but at least in that circle is seems to potentially be a problem.
I waited to switch to synthetic until 11K in my S2000, and it continued "using" oil all the way till 72K when I sold it. On the other hand, I've heard of S2000 owners switching to synthetic at 500 miles, and claimed to never use a drop of oil.
Old 09-16-06, 09:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I've only owned one car that had oil burning issues. It was the last time I used the factory recommended break-in procedure. No problems since.
Old 09-16-06, 10:00 PM
The Chad
Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
I waited to switch to synthetic until 11K in my S2000, and it continued "using" oil all the way till 72K when I sold it. On the other hand, I've heard of S2000 owners switching to synthetic at 500 miles, and claimed to never use a drop of oil.
I don't have oil burning issues either, and I'm at 20k miles. Changed to synthetic at the first change. Did you have the 2.0L or the 2.2L motor? Some people thought they "fixed" the issue with the "newer" motor.
Old 09-16-06, 10:06 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chad
I don't have oil burning issues either, and I'm at 20k miles. Changed to synthetic at the first change. Did you have the 2.0L or the 2.2L motor? Some people thought they "fixed" the issue with the "newer" motor.
I had the 2.0 (F20C), but there weren't any "fixes". The only difference (physically) between the F20 and F22 is the stroke. Last I heard, Honda is still producing the F20 in Japan.
Old 09-17-06, 05:18 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To the OP:

Never listen to salesmen... EVAR!!!!!
Old 09-17-06, 06:37 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Technique
To the OP:

Never listen to salesmen... EVAR!!!!!
To the OP:

Never listen to people who cant spell!!!!!!
Old 09-17-06, 06:56 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dshahs420
To the OP:

Never listen to people who cant spell!!!!!!
ROFLMAO
Old 11-09-06, 06:43 PM
bigworm
Driver School Candidate

It is known that the f20c burns oil and the newer 2.2l does not in the s2000. I have owned both,and agree with the above statements.

Back on topic, I am bringing in the 250 for the 5k service. Hmm, should I go synthetic. The mechanic on the phone said to wait till 10k, but I do have old man winter knocking at the door.

scott
Old 11-09-06, 07:10 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Break-ins, synthetics, engines, oh my!

To be honest, not only is everything you hear about natural vs. synthetic pretty much complete junk in a passenger motor, but so is "break-in", too!

What really happens when you "break-in" a car? You engine builders will know: cross-hatch, ring sealing, etc. But that doesn't mean you should "baby" a motor for the first 500 miles. It means you should change the oil after 500 miles, to get all those metal shavings out! Then you can go play.
Old 11-09-06, 07:11 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've only owned one car that had oil burning issues. It was the last time I used the factory recommended break-in procedure. No problems since.

Not to hijack the thread, but what break-in procedure do you recommend? Something along the lines of the Motoman:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

??
Old 11-09-06, 09:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes. Exactly.

Quick Reply: Salesman said not to do Synthetic Oil on first service