Wind Noise from Moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 06:55 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Wind Noise from Moonroof

All,

I have a question about the amount of wind noise you are getting from your moonroofs? I'm trying to decide if I am having an issue or not. My car is 4 weeks old.

When I have the inner cover slid back on mine (but the glass closed) I'm getting a great amount of wind noise (at freeway speed), almost as much as when I have the back end tipped up. The noise is bad enough that I can hear it over the radio. If I close the cover I don't hear it.

I don't remember any of the IS's I test drove sounding like this and I don't remember it being like this before I opened the roof for the first time. It's almost like the roof isn't closing completely but I can see anything and it's not leaking.

The rest of the car is so darn quite that it really stands out and is starting to get on my nerves.

Do you think this warrents a trip to the Dealer???

Thanks in advance for the input! I really love this board I've gotten so much great information from everyone here.
Old 09-15-06, 07:13 AM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same problem but I keep inner cover closed. I brought this up a few months ago, see thread. Will mention it on first oil change to dealer.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228934
Old 09-15-06, 07:25 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

brel523 thanks for the input!

Sorry about starting a new thread but I couldn't find the other one. I've not had much luck with the search feature on this BBS, even the "advanced" one. For example: If I search the body of the messages for "iPod" of which I know there are a tonne on messages out there, it returns ZERO hits???

I'll check out the other thread, sounds like I need to have the dealer take a look.
Old 09-15-06, 07:29 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

BTW after reading your post, sounds like I am having a different problem. Mine isn't a slight noise, its LOUD!

Loud enough that others in the car have pointed it out and loud enough that with the radio turned up to 40, you can still hear it.

Anything over 40 mph you start to notice it, at 60 it's a loud roar.
Old 09-15-06, 08:03 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

My IS does make a noise, but nothing that noticeable. I would take it to the dealer. Maybe they need reseal it.
Old 09-15-06, 08:22 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SerKevin
BTW after reading your post, sounds like I am having a different problem. Mine isn't a slight noise, its LOUD!

Loud enough that others in the car have pointed it out and loud enough that with the radio turned up to 40, you can still hear it.

Anything over 40 mph you start to notice it, at 60 it's a loud roar.
There may be something wrong with the lining. Make sure that you address it to your Dealer and Service Department.

Does it leak water when you wash it?
Old 09-15-06, 08:35 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't hear anything coming from my sunroof and I hear anything and everything. I think you might have a bad seal.
Old 09-15-06, 08:46 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You most definately have an issue. None of the IS's I've test driven, or mine has that problem, and I mainly drive with the inner cover open.

Last edited by Lets Drive; 09-15-06 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-15-06, 09:35 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Does it leak water when you wash it?
Nope, no leaks... I've checked for that and am surprised that it isn't though.

All, thanks for the input. I'm definately going to bring this up with the dealer then. I'll let you know what they say.
Old 09-27-06, 05:49 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Exclamation

I wanted to give everyone an update on this issue.

I took the car to the dealer yesterday and they confirmed that there is indead an issue with my moonroof. It wasn't completing the seal, in fact it had been leaking water in areas that I couldn't see!

So they have ordered a new seal kit for the moonroof and are going to replace all of the seals. They expect to have the parts wihtin the next 3 weeks.

While they were very nice and appologized for the issue and the inconvenience, I'm not sure how I feel about this... I have a car that is less than 2 months old and they are going to have to take apart the entire roof to replace the seals. Which leaves me with the questions of:

1) Will the fitment be correct after everything has been taken down and put back up?

2) Will this process introduce rattles and squeaks?

3) Will the moonroof ever be "correct"?

I'd like to get some feedback on this... do I have any need to be concerned or am I over reacting? What do you think??

Thanks in advance for the input!
Old 09-27-06, 05:55 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I've never heard so much as even a whisper of wind noise from mine, sunshade closed, or not. But all it takes is even a tiny little gap between the sheetmetal and the glass, or deformed section of the weatherstripping, and you'll get wind noise. The dealer should be able to track down the problem and remedy it.
Old 09-27-06, 06:25 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ff_
The dealer should be able to track down the problem and remedy it.
Actually, that kind of part of my problem too, the dealer said that they didn't have a clue as to why the car was making noise... but that they were going to replace the seals for good measure.

Let's just say this whole situation doesn't give me a good feeling.
Old 10-05-06, 06:01 PM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I took mine in yesterday to have them look at the wind noise during highway speeds also. Tech took it out and adjusted a few things that made it better, but ordered seals anyway because you could still hear it a little. They kept it overnight while parts came in. Turns out they actually had to replace the glass, not the seals. The glass was warped a little. No sound now from the roof even at 90mph.

I was more worried about them scratching the car while working on it, of which they did(very small scratch that I could barely see), but they buffed it out in 5 minutes and now it's gone.

In the end, I'm glad they looked at it and actually figured out the problem instead of just replacing parts until they thought it was fixed.
Old 10-06-06, 08:49 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Glad to hear that you had a good outcome brel523!

OK, I picked my car up yesterday and I'm supposed to be taking it back this evening... I still haven't decided if I am going to or not because I totally do not trust the service department at Lexus of Clear Lake (notice how I'm naming names now).

First lets start with the fact that someone had set in the passenger's seat with an open ink pen in their pocket, the door frames are cut all to pieces, there are scratches on the bottoms of BOTH seats, I have dirty fingerprints all over my headliner. This all in a cashmere colored car so it's nice and noticable.

Second, the car STILL has the wind noise issue and now the seals are peeling up all around the top of the moonroof. One section is about 2" long and is standing apx 1/8" off the top of the glass. It's so pulled back that I can see the edge of the glass.

My next step today is to call Lexus Corporate. If I take the car back, this will be the third attempt to repair the roof. I'm in the process of looking into the Texas lemon laws.

The sad part is I love my IS, it is the perfect car in every way EXCEPT the forked up roof! Grrrrrr!

BTW, thank to everybody who has given my such great advice and put up with me venting. I really appreciate everyone here at CL.
Old 10-06-06, 09:05 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by SerKevin
I've not had much luck with the search feature on this BBS, even the "advanced" one. For example: If I search the body of the messages for "iPod" of which I know there are a tonne on messages out there, it returns ZERO hits???
You must be doing something wrong. When I search the 2IS forum for iPod I get:
"Showing results 1 to 25 of 251
Search took 0.87 seconds."

Are you sure you aren't accidently picking "Search this thread"?

Quick Reply: Wind Noise from Moonroof