IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Installing Spring Tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 02:31 AM
acl15
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Spring Tips

So I'm about to install the eibach pro kit on my car... is there anything I should look out for or keep in mind? I've never installed springs before. thanks
Old 08-29-06, 08:52 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribe to TIS for 1 day ($10) and print out the PDF for removing and installing front and rear dampers.
Old 08-29-06, 08:56 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

BTW, I suggest NOT popping the upper or lower ball joints as recommended in the TIS document. It is much easier to just detach the upper control arm from the body. If you do this, it is important to load up the suspension before torquing the upper control arm bolts back up. I did this by using a jack to compress the suspension while the wheel was still off.
Old 08-29-06, 04:09 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
BTW, I suggest NOT popping the upper or lower ball joints as recommended in the TIS document. It is much easier to just detach the upper control arm from the body. If you do this, it is important to load up the suspension before torquing the upper control arm bolts back up. I did this by using a jack to compress the suspension while the wheel was still off.
not sure how stuck your ball joint was when you did it, but mine wasnt seized on and only took one whack with a rubber mallet. and make sure to have a spring compressor around. ive lowered plenty of cars before and i never needed a spring compressor to put a lowering spring in until i lowered my IS.
Old 08-29-06, 04:28 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS_250
not sure how stuck your ball joint was when you did it, but mine wasnt seized on and only took one whack with a rubber mallet. and make sure to have a spring compressor around. ive lowered plenty of cars before and i never needed a spring compressor to put a lowering spring in until i lowered my IS.
I have no idea how "stuck" my ball joints were, since I didn't pop them. It is just easier to leave them alone.

How did you get the stock springs off your previous cars without a spring compressor? If you just loosen the top nut until it shoots off, that can damage the threads.
Old 08-29-06, 08:33 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I have no idea how "stuck" my ball joints were, since I didn't pop them. It is just easier to leave them alone.

How did you get the stock springs off your previous cars without a spring compressor? If you just loosen the top nut until it shoots off, that can damage the threads.
usually, if the car is older the ball joints are seized up. sometimes you need the ball joint tool, that why i thought you opt to remove from the upper control arm.

*disclaimer* if you've never done this before, use a spring compressor!

i use the ghetto method to seperate the springs and struts. i usually lay the strut on its side torward a wall, step on the spring and impact the top nut off. its best to make sure nothing is in the way when you do this. some springs "pop" harder than others. i learned the hard way that it requred spring compressor to put the lowering springs in. i took both struts out and couldn't put the new springs on.... it was 11pm on a weekday, thank god for the 24 hour Autozone near my house.