IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

any tall guys here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 07:42 AM
ph00ny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any tall guys here?

I'm only 6'2" and after an extensive seat time in friend's is250awd, i'm not sure if i will be comfortable driving this thing all the time. Never noticed it while riding in the passenger seat, but the driver seat doesn't go down as far as passenger or when i sit in the passenger seat, I have it reclined further back than my usual driving position

Anyways my hair is constantly touching the ceiling and i have to crouch foward to see the traffic light. How much room will the x-package have? I think i'm going to call the dealership and ask for my deposit back.
Old 08-28-06, 07:45 AM
rawkus7632
Driver School Candidate

Im 6'5 and Im able to ajust the seat just fine. Maybe you should try sitting in the drivers seat and messing with the controls. Theres alot of ways that seat can move.
Old 08-28-06, 08:12 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

6'4" here with no problem adjusting it to a good position.
Better than most cars in the same class.
Old 08-28-06, 08:19 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I disagree with these guys. They must recline their seats way back (ghetto position). I keep my seat closer to vertical, which is the "proper" position, and my hair is always rubbing on the ceiling. That's one of the [many] downsides to having a sunroof. I'm about 6'-1", BTW.

I just deal with it, since I work from home, and don't really drive the car all that often. But if you're going to commute in the car every day, then you might be better served by another car. The 325i, for example, can be purchased without a sunroof, and also allows the driver's seat to sit lower. Seats are significantly more comfortable and supportive too. Worth a look.
Old 08-28-06, 08:33 AM
jamthiede
Driver School Candidate

I'm 6'2" and find the car very comfortable during my hour commute everyday to work. I have to push the driver's seat all the way back and down (wouldn't want to be riding in the backseat) to fit properly. Maybe your 6’2” frame is mainly torso which would explain why you are hitting your head on the ceiling when rawkus7632 (6’5”) doesn’t appear to have the same problem.
Old 08-28-06, 08:45 AM
rawkus7632
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jamthiede
I'm 6'2" and find the car very comfortable during my hour commute everyday to work. I have to push the driver's seat all the way back and down (wouldn't want to be riding in the backseat) to fit properly. Maybe your 6’2” frame is mainly torso which would explain why you are hitting your head on the ceiling when rawkus7632 (6’5”) doesn’t appear to have the same problem.
Tis true. Im more legs than torso. Although from the side view of my car, driver side, the headrest is in the second window. Quite comical but i fit. Its hard for people of decent size, height wise, to find a decent sporty vehicle. We shouldnt be default SUV drivers lol.
Old 08-28-06, 09:32 AM
dscodogg69
Driver School Candidate

I'm just under 6'7" and I don't have any problems. But I guess you would say that my seat is thugged out and leaned way back. Steering wheel is all the way out and up too. But not much less room than I had in my GS.
Old 08-28-06, 09:35 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I'm short compared to you guys. I'm around 5'11, and I drive with my seats positioned "ghetto" way how ff_ like to describe it. No problems for me, but then again....I'm sitting "ghetto" position. My hair is kinda combed up, so it touches sometimes when I lean forward to park in a space.
Old 08-28-06, 09:38 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pocky
Ok, I'm short compared to you guys. I'm around 5'11, and I drive with my seats positioned "ghetto" way how ff_ like to describe it. No problems for me, but then again....I'm sitting "ghetto" way.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm 6' but I do have the "ghetto" lean going on. That's just how I feel comfortable driving, but I do have plenty of room...
Old 08-28-06, 10:02 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Get the car WITHOUT a moonroof...

Get the 2007 IS with X-Package without the moonroof.

You'll get about an extra two inches in headroom!!!
Old 08-28-06, 10:03 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 5'11" and yes, i hear what you're saying. In my old car, I kept the seat vertical to help with my back problems. In the IS, i have to lean it back a bit and use a larger lumbar pillow to suppor tmy back. Not a huge deal, i've found a comfy position. But yes, keeping the seat vertical is pretty much impossible.
Old 08-28-06, 03:20 PM
ph00ny
Driver School Candidate

i do sit little bit upright than most and that is the comfortable position for me. What about traffic lights? Any annoyances?
Old 08-28-06, 04:53 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just over 6'1" and its all good here, besides for having to twist and bend my head every which way to get in the car, but once im in, its all good
Old 08-28-06, 06:05 PM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

I am not an owner yet (about 2 weeks to go until buy time ) but when I testdrove the car I did not feel as if it was too "small" for me. I am 6'4 and most cars seem that way. I did mess with the seat for about 5 minutes at the dealer to get "comfy". my wife loved the seats but then again at 5'2 that car seems "roomy" to her
Old 08-28-06, 06:41 PM
murph550
Driver

I'm 6'2 and also drive an awd. I fit really comfortably in the car, and I even have some room the spare. Its not really a problem for me, but whoever sits behind me better be a quadriplegic, or just really short.

Quick Reply: any tall guys here?