IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

what's the proper break-in period?

Old 08-25-06, 01:02 AM
Realfresh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's the proper break-in period?

Yeah...i looked in all the books and i couldn't find the recommended break-in procedure and period. How many miles are you supposed to wait? Any specific instructions?

Or can someone point me to the right page in the manual?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-25-06, 04:59 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Don't quote me on this but it was something like:

~270 miles before you did a HARD break (came to a really sudden stop) in the car

~650 miles before you made several short trips (under 5 miles), drove the car for long periods at the same speed, or drove the car fast.

It's actually in the Owner's Manual... somewhere.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-25-06, 05:55 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Through the years of owning many cars and HP motorcycles I've developed my own procedure that I feel covers all the things I think are important. First off I believe that the oil/filter needs to be changed several times within the first 5K miles. I change the factory fill at 1K and 3K miles with high grade petroleum based oil and Pure One filters. I use petroleum based oil because it is supposed to better during break-in (debatable) and since it will be changed with only 2K miles on it, why spend much more for synthetic. This will help get out all the break-in debris (wear metals) before I switch to full synthetic, at 5K miles. At 5K miles I switch to a premium full synthetic and premium oil filter. I believe the oil is the life blood of the vehicle and no expense should be spared when deciding on oil and the filter. From UOAs I’ve reviewed over the years, I’ve come to the conclusion that Mobil 1 and Amsoil provide the best protection for Toyota/Lexus engines. I personally use only Amsoil products including oil/air filters (Nano-fiber, Ea filters), gear lube, grease, etc. At 10K miles (5K miles on the oil) I send an oil sample out for UOA to see how everything is doing. This will do several things; it will tell you how well the oil has performed and how much safe life is left in the oil itself, if you intend to extend your drain interval. It will also provide proof in case of a warranty claim that the oil was still good even with an extended change interval. It also provides a base line in the oil's history of your engine. So with future UOAs you will be able to foresee developing problem.

As far as the break in itself, I’m a little **** about the first 3K miles. I determine what RPM limits (based on OEM recommendations) I want to use for a certain amount of miles. For the first 500 miles I stay under 2K RPM and constantly vary the RPMs. From 500 to 1K I stay under 3K RPM. I also believe that heat cycles are just as important as RPM control during the break-in period. During the first 500 miles I make sure I go through at least a couple dozen complete heat cycles. A heat cycle is a short trip that brings the engine up to running temp for at least 10/15 minutes and then let it cool down to ambient temp. After the first oil/filter change, at 1K miles, I then run the engine RPMs up to 4500 RPM and when I’ve approaching the 3K mile mark I will do several WOT (wide open throttle) to red-line pulls. After changing the oil/filter at 3K miles I drive the car the way I normally intend to drive it, which includes a good number of WOT to red-line pulls. At 5K miles I change over to full synthetic. Many will think this is overkill and they are probably right but I keep vehicles for a long time and I’m willing to go through the trouble.

Koz
Old 08-25-06, 07:54 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

A good easy rule of thumb to follow is to keep the RPM's low around 3k and less. Vary your speed meaning don't use the cruise control on long distances. Go easy on it for the first 500 to 1000 miles, whatever suits you best. This is to allow your valve seals and gaskets to properly seat. If you romp on it and don't give a chance for the seals and gaskets to seat, you will have oil seepage problems around your valve covers as you rack on the miles.
Old 08-25-06, 08:17 AM
jcreech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no such thing as break-in for this car...its all BS. I dont even need to explain myself and dont care what the manual says. Go ahead smash the gas at 10 miles on your odometer, theres nothing wrong with that. Maybe on your german auto but not on this bullet-proof JAP-mobile.
Old 08-25-06, 10:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jcreech
There is no such thing as break-in for this car...its all BS. I dont even need to explain myself and dont care what the manual says. Go ahead smash the gas at 10 miles on your odometer, theres nothing wrong with that. Maybe on your german auto but not on this bullet-proof JAP-mobile.
Honestly, it's your car. Do what you will.

However, if you are going to keep this car for life, you should "take care of it." If you want to abuse it like a pimp abuses his girls, then that's your choice.

Otherwise, a little TLC won't hurt the car in the first 600 miles...
Old 08-25-06, 10:49 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

^^^exactly. it's not going to hurt to take care of your car for a little while at first. especially since the manual "recommends" it...but i would go and make up my own break-in period process, that's going a bit too far IMO.
Old 08-25-06, 11:48 AM
fud
Rookie

My expriences is to not go over 65 mph for the first 3000 miles (gas slow, keep rpm under like the above)...Have done that for all cars and my 1990 camry is still running strong!
Old 08-25-06, 02:30 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fud
My expriences is to not go over 65 mph for the first 3000 miles (gas slow, keep rpm under like the above)...Have done that for all cars and my 1990 camry is still running strong!
I wouldn't restrict my car like this personally. Quite the opposite.

Modern break-ins consist of varying your speeds and driving styles for the first 600 to 1,000 miles. This means driving at a variety of loads, including full throttle; a variety of speeds, including over 65; variety of RPMs; and a variety of driving styles from "granny" to aggressive. Try not to use the cruise control too much.

Don't baby it, just don't stay at full throttle or near redline for too long. Same for the brakes (or any time you have new rotors for that matter) although this shouldn't keep you from using them to their full extend in an emergency!

The key is to avoid having you car develop a "sweet spot" anywhere.
Old 08-25-06, 04:17 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

^^^this is why jcreech feels the way he does about a break-in period lol.
Old 08-25-06, 04:38 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you break it in like a sissy, the car will run like one. I have noticed with the many dozens of cars and bikes I have owned that the firmer you break them in, the better they seem to run in the future. Yes you do need to vary the RPMS on a consistent basis, but that is it.
Old 08-25-06, 04:59 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

Originally Posted by sincityIS
If you break it in like a sissy, the car will run like one. I have noticed with the many dozens of cars and bikes I have owned that the firmer you break them in, the better they seem to run in the future. Yes you do need to vary the RPMS on a consistent basis, but that is it.
Amen Brother!!

The title of this thread should read: WHAT BREAK IN PERIOD?

Last edited by GOBUCS; 08-25-06 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-25-06, 05:11 PM
islandsnow
Driver

Originally Posted by jcreech
JAP-mobile.
watch your mouth honky
Old 08-25-06, 05:17 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
^^^this is why jcreech feels the way he does about a break-in period lol.
So just to clarify, I meant as far as the break-in procedure. If you're going to make this up the break-in procedure or repeat what you're heard over the Internet or take your own personal process and label it as official or simply whatever you do, your car turns out great, and you claim Eureka! of course people will claim "there is no break-in period". Unless someone has any facts or scientific proof, need to go by what you see and read in the owner's manual....and I don't condone any of his inappropriate language.
Old 08-25-06, 07:32 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Break in procedures for modern cars are more withcraft than fact. The manual gives guidelines, but people go insane with them, as indicated in this thread. I generally follow the manual, but I firmly believe that the car doesn't magically become "run in" at the exact mileage the manual indicates. An occasional WOT run up a freeway ramp while the car is in break in shouldn't kill your car.

The argument for proper break in always comes down to longevity. My responses to this are:

1. Most of us are in this forum because we like new cars. I bet 3/4 of us have different cars within the next five years; and

2. I have never seen/heard a mechanic shaking his head over an engine dead at 1xx,000 miles because it wasn't broken in properly. Long term maintenance rules, period.

Tolerances on modern car engines are so good that WOT runs are very possible right off the assembly line without damage. If that wasn't true, every new car test driven by idiots like me would be DOA.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what's the proper break-in period?