IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How hard would it be to put a Recaro seat in a 2IS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 02:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

C'mon guys, back on topic with the Recaro seats please. We have female members who deserve a bit of respect and decorum from us on our forum. Thank you
Old 08-04-06, 03:10 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
he doesn't need 2 recaros... screw the passenger hahah.

if anything, you could always get those jdm recaro baby seats... assuming you have a kid or maybe in the future.
I only want one, passenger can sit in the trunk for all I care
Old 08-04-06, 05:40 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the recaro seat would be comfortable, but you'd lose:
  • power controls;
  • lumbar support (as far as I know);
  • the automatic settings linked to your key fob and the three buttons on the door; and
  • cooled seats.

That's a lot to lose, especially when the stock seats are so comfortable. Good luck regardless of your decision, and please post some pictures if you go for it.
Old 08-07-06, 12:56 PM
p.k.blaauw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
C'mon guys, back on topic with the Recaro seats please. We have female members who deserve a bit of respect and decorum from us on our forum. Thank you

My is 250 with Recaro's: (Click for large)

Old 08-07-06, 01:11 PM
snaKe
Driver

hey p.k.blaauw, you got some really nice seats there, the color nicely matches the original trim How much did they set you back?
Old 08-07-06, 01:17 PM
MNguyen281
Driver School Candidate

NICE SEATS
Old 08-07-06, 01:40 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by p.k.blaauw
My is 250 with Recaro's: (Click for large)

Any issues with the airbags, etc?
Old 08-07-06, 01:42 PM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by al503
Any issues with the airbags, etc?
ditto . . . . .
Old 08-07-06, 03:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
I think the recaro seat would be comfortable, but you'd lose:
  • power controls;
  • lumbar support (as far as I know);
  • the automatic settings linked to your key fob and the three buttons on the door; and
  • cooled seats.

That's a lot to lose, especially when the stock seats are so comfortable. Good luck regardless of your decision, and please post some pictures if you go for it.

You might want to reconsider that statement. From here.

The "Topline" upgrades the "Sportline" trim level with the RECARO comfort package: RECARO vent® system, seat heating and electrical recline adjustment, and electric seat height and tilt adjustment. Sportiness, comfort and ergonomics are married like no other.

The Recaro Topline offers extensive features, superior comfort and fascinating design: the RECARO sport with integrated and fully upholstered head restraint.

Special Feature:
  • RECARO vent® system, seat heating and electrical recline adjustment, and electric seat height and tilt adjustment.

Standard Features:
  • Belt guides for 4-point harness, 3-point seat belt can also be used
  • Integrated and fully-upholstered head restraint
    * Distinct shoulder contours relieve strain on the supporting muscular system during fast cornering
  • Distinctive side bolsters for excellent support in fast bends
  • Lumber support: through the RECARO airmatic® system for effective lumber support
  • For easy operations: seat back can be released and adjusted for tilt on both sides
  • Resiliently-mounted seat cushion reduces road vibration
  • Seat cushion extension: better thigh support relieves strain on the muscular system and assists rapid pedal-switching
  • Tough bolsters
  • Tons of colors and fabrics available
Old 08-07-06, 03:07 PM
Lexus Test Driver

The Recaro has ventilated/heated cushion, and manual lumbar support. Aren't you still losing all power controls, seat memory, side air bags, and the high quality leather that comes standard on the seats?!?

I'm sure there are benefits to having these, but to me it's a downgrade unless you're constantly in corners and using your car primarily for autocross.
Old 08-07-06, 03:26 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The Recaro has ventilated/heated cushion, and manual lumbar support. Aren't you still losing all power controls, seat memory, side air bags, and the high quality leather that comes standard on the seats?!?

I'm sure there are benefits to having these, but to me it's a downgrade unless you're constantly in corners and using your car primarily for autocross.
If I were getting these, I would get the bare bones stripped version with all manual adjustments so they would be as light as possible. Who needs heated seats with cloth anyway? I bet you could strip 100 lbs of weight by switching both seats. That's a very significant drop in weight.
Old 08-07-06, 03:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tonyxcom
for the amount of money that it would take to fit 2 power Recaro seats in the IS, I would rather get my wife a boob job.
We need pics of what u had in mind
Old 08-07-06, 03:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Did you read the entire list of specs? Electric recline, seat height, and tilt, RECARO airmatic® lumbar system (also electrically operated) - choice of fabric, leather, suede in many colors.

I've also never heard anyone describe Japanese leather as high quality. It's not bad, but it surely isn't Connolly leather and no one will mistake it for Connolly. We also didn't pay the Connolly price either.

The thing most glaringly missing from the OEM seats is a near complete lack of side bolsters. If I were to put in aftermarket seats, it would be to remedy this issue. I do not feel secure in the car while really making it work around a corner.
Old 08-07-06, 04:38 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Did you read the entire list of specs? Electric recline, seat height, and tilt, RECARO airmatic® lumbar system (also electrically operated) - choice of fabric, leather, suede in many colors.

I've also never heard anyone describe Japanese leather as high quality. It's not bad, but it surely isn't Connolly leather and no one will mistake it for Connolly. We also didn't pay the Connolly price either.

The thing most glaringly missing from the OEM seats is a near complete lack of side bolsters. If I were to put in aftermarket seats, it would be to remedy this issue. I do not feel secure in the car while really making it work around a corner.
Nope, missed some of the specs - thanks for clarifying. It's still a step down in my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions. Still losing at least some of the OEM functionality, and the airbags. If you're into tuners I'm sure these are cool, but I'd feel like a jackass picking up a client in a car with these. It's all perspective...

Re: the leather, I find the quality of leather Lexus uses to be more than adequate - very soft, wears well, cleans and conditions beautifully, and very comfortable to sit on. Those are my standards for good leather...Connolly might be better, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay the premium.

Last edited by 15951; 08-07-06 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-07-06, 04:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Agreed about the clients. That's what I bought mine for too. The Recaros will go nicely in the Supra, but then they'll be cloth SRDs because I do want the lightweight there. Despite what appears to be a popular trend, I just don't get buying a four door to go fast. I consider the IS's abilities in this respect a complete bonus.

Quick Reply: How hard would it be to put a Recaro seat in a 2IS?