IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lighting mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-06, 08:14 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The scuffs are on sale right now at lexus-parts.com./ Check the marketplace for info.

Can someone please tell me which type of LED bulbs to get for each of the mods above? Is this info anywhere else? Where are you purchasing these LED's from?
Old 07-18-06, 08:56 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

2006 LEXUS IS250, IS350 (With replaceable halogen capsules)
Low beam headlamp
H11-55W

High beam headlamp
9005ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
9005CB Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade: White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal

Parking light

Front turn signal
992 (7440A)

Rear turn signal

Tail light
LED

Stop light
LED

High mount stop light
LED

Fog/Driving light
9006ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
9006XV XtraVision Halogen Upgrade: Up to 20% Brighter
9006CB Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade: White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal
9006LL Long Life Halogen Upgrade: Lasts one and a half times longer

License plate

Back up light
921LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker
194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Rear sidemarker

Glove box

Dome light
DE3175

Step/Courtesy light

Trunk/Cargo area
DE3022

Check out
http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html
http://www.v-leds.com/

Correct me if i'm wrong:

I'll need 7 * 194 (2 for puddle, 3 for front dome, 2 for side housing )
2* de3175 31mm for the back dome

Should i get the single large led, or the multi led ones or what?

Fromg v-leds.com:

2*HID WHITE 9 LED DOME LIGHT 3022 3021 3175 6428 6430*** $13.98

2*PAIR SUPER HID WHITE REFRACTOR 5 LED $19.98

2*2 VELOCITY LEDS HID WHITE HIGH POWER LED BULBS 194 $19.98

Sub-Total: $53.94 + 9.00 for shipping

Last edited by jewel; 07-18-06 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-18-06, 10:06 AM
deuce2
Rookie

it's a pain to get those screws out of the puddle lamps..anyone else found an easier way? i don't wanna break the mirror or strip the screws.
Old 07-18-06, 10:13 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are they phillips or flat head screws?
Old 07-18-06, 10:15 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce2
it's a pain to get those screws out of the puddle lamps..anyone else found an easier way? i don't wanna break the mirror or strip the screws.
Well, the original way is to remove the mirror. I was looking at the service manual and you basically move the mirror up so you leave a gap on the bottom. Put some padding on the painted surface, stick a pry tool on the bottom of the mirror and pop it out. It's held in by clips. Once you pop the bottom off, I believe you swival is upwards and remove.

I have NOT done this yet, this is just from looking at the service manual. If you break it, it's not my fault.
Old 07-18-06, 10:32 AM
sab504
Pit Crew

I tried to take it out yesterday and couldnt get to the screw. I'll just wait for more of an indepth instruction. I don't want to break anything, so if anyone has a better way to get those damn puddle lamps out, let us know!
Old 07-18-06, 11:07 AM
pocky
mooncake master

I wil attempt this method tonight. If not, I will do it the way the service manual states and I'll TRY to remember to take pics.
Old 07-18-06, 11:30 AM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

looks cool but i heard from previous posts (mainly guys from the GS forum) that if you change out the lights inside the dome, not only do you get less amounts of light, but they also dont fade in/out very well
Old 07-18-06, 11:44 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by Nicelex13
looks cool but i heard from previous posts (mainly guys from the GS forum) that if you change out the lights inside the dome, not only do you get less amounts of light, but they also dont fade in/out very well
The amount of light is true. These are LED's. They are not natural light, it's just bright. I did not put LED's in there so I can use it as a source of light. In fact, I drove for almost a month without any lights in there, I took out all the bulbs (I'm a vampire ). I decided to stick some LED's in there to give me some cool mood lighting.

The fade out is not as "smooth" per say as a regular incandescent light. But it still fades. Besides, I actually like the LED's moreso, since it fades out right away the minute I close the door.
Old 07-18-06, 12:18 PM
sab504
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pocky
The amount of light is true. These are LED's. They are not natural light, it's just bright. I did not put LED's in there so I can use it as a source of light. In fact, I drove for almost a month without any lights in there, I took out all the bulbs (I'm a vampire ). I decided to stick some LED's in there to give me some cool mood lighting.

The fade out is not as "smooth" per say as a regular incandescent light. But it still fades. Besides, I actually like the LED's moreso, since it fades out right away the minute I close the door.
Old 07-18-06, 01:24 PM
waynetech2
Pole Position

ok i hope this helps...the screws for the mirror are at a slight angle, use a rubber stopper, or something around the house to wedge btween the mirror. move it so that you have a good amount of room to put your phillips head in. now that one hand is free b/c of the wedge, you can use it to grab the back of the mirror assembly AND at the same time push in with the screwdriver. this will give you more pressure on the screw itself. I did try different phillips head screws, the middle one worked best b/c it was a little fatter and it gripped better. You could also try just doing the two outer screws and seeing if theres enough room to pull the lamp housing down. i thought of that when i was having trouble with the third inner screw; but i never did it so i dont know. the reason i suggest the screw method is b/c when my parts guy showed be a blow-up pic of the assebly it did not show the mirror being able to pop off.(but then again it didnt show where the screws were either).. i just remember looking at it after popping off the back and thinkining, wow im glad i didnt try to pop the mirror out.

as for the lighting difference, it is very noticable to me..true, its not going be like The LORD has descended upon your car , but with my tinted windows in da garage, i can def see a lot more. especially in the rear dome light

the bulbs i got off of ebay from "ushomedirect*com" i used him b/c he had 100% feedback.
Old 07-18-06, 03:36 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

i just did this and the mirror pops off very easily..i have some pics that i will post in a sec..uploading to gallery now
Old 07-18-06, 03:49 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

ok this was very easy to do..like pocky said move the mirror so it is all the way up..then i just put my hand in between the bottom of the mirror and the housing and i pryed it out..there are a couple of clips that come undone and then you pull it out and up to undo the hooks at the top...take out the screws...then slide the back of the housing off..twist the bulb out of the lense and then remove the bulb (its a wedge just pull it out) then put your new led wedge bulb in..(one thing i suggest is make sure the bulbs work before replacing anything..i had to do the drivers side twice because the bulb wasnt wedged in all the way) then replace the lense and the back of the mirror housing..replace the 3 screws...then hook the top of the mirror back in (its easiest if you look from underneath to make sure the hooks are lining up) then push the mirror in all around..its gonna move a bit but keep pushing one side at a time until it locks in

i dont know if i just made any sense at all..but it was very easy to do

i'll post pics of it lit up when it gets dark later

here are a few pics with the mirror off

Old 07-18-06, 04:04 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by waynetech2
ok i hope this helps...the screws for the mirror are at a slight angle, use a rubber stopper, or something around the house to wedge btween the mirror. move it so that you have a good amount of room to put your phillips head in. now that one hand is free b/c of the wedge, you can use it to grab the back of the mirror assembly AND at the same time push in with the screwdriver. this will give you more pressure on the screw itself. I did try different phillips head screws, the middle one worked best b/c it was a little fatter and it gripped better. You could also try just doing the two outer screws and seeing if theres enough room to pull the lamp housing down. i thought of that when i was having trouble with the third inner screw; but i never did it so i dont know. the reason i suggest the screw method is b/c when my parts guy showed be a blow-up pic of the assebly it did not show the mirror being able to pop off.(but then again it didnt show where the screws were either).. i just remember looking at it after popping off the back and thinkining, wow im glad i didnt try to pop the mirror out.

as for the lighting difference, it is very noticable to me..true, its not going be like The LORD has descended upon your car , but with my tinted windows in da garage, i can def see a lot more. especially in the rear dome light

the bulbs i got off of ebay from "ushomedirect*com" i used him b/c he had 100% feedback.
ok, you didn't get them where I thought you did. Then these bulbs will probably last longer.
Old 07-18-06, 04:18 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
ok this was very easy to do..like pocky said move the mirror so it is all the way up..then i just put my hand in between the bottom of the mirror and the housing and i pryed it out..there are a couple of clips that come undone and then you pull it out and up to undo the hooks at the top...take out the screws...then slide the back of the housing off..twist the bulb out of the lense and then remove the bulb (its a wedge just pull it out) then put your new led wedge bulb in..(one thing i suggest is make sure the bulbs work before replacing anything..i had to do the drivers side twice because the bulb wasnt wedged in all the way) then replace the lense and the back of the mirror housing..replace the 3 screws...then hook the top of the mirror back in (its easiest if you look from underneath to make sure the hooks are lining up) then push the mirror in all around..its gonna move a bit but keep pushing one side at a time until it locks in

i dont know if i just made any sense at all..but it was very easy to do

i'll post pics of it lit up when it gets dark later

here are a few pics with the mirror off
Thanks for taking pics CaThaFeR!!! Great pics. Removing Mirror Method it is!