IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My tint looks awful :(

Old 07-06-06, 10:29 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to take my car back for both the tint and the clear bra. Don't be afraid to have them do it again, or ask for a refund.
Old 07-07-06, 05:15 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Hey Jewel,
Are you sure these are dust particles forming the bubbles and not just air bubbles. I got the SolarGard HP Quantum tint installed at a shop that mostly works on new Lexus. They had done the new IS time and time again and even then I had air bubbles. The explanation they gave me was that the HP Quantum metallic tint is very think and impossible to install without air bubbles. Upon reading the SolarGard pamphlet it is noted that this is normal and can take up to two months to disappear. My car is garaged day and night so the bubbles took one month to evaporate through the film. Now the job looks mint. I suggest waiting a month then go back if the bubbles are still there. After all you did get a receipt since you paid tax so the work is guaranteed no?

When I get a quote I always ask for the cash payment no tax discount. If I forget to ask I wouldn't be mad if they charge me, it is "mandatory" after all.
Old 07-07-06, 07:53 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

I had some bubbles when i first got it, and it took a day or two for those to disappear. The back window actually seems like the film is scratched, and in some places it looks like it's not even sticking to the glass. These bubbles are small, grain of rice size.... what are the chances that those will disappear? As for my passenger side, i can actually see the dust particle

I'm just afraid he'll mess something else up when i bring it in to get fixed =/
Old 07-07-06, 09:55 AM
DirtySouth
Rookie

Well, I'm sure you would NOT have paid for a tint job without a life-time warranty, so this shouldn't even be an issue.

Also, if they damaged your pillar or any other part of your car in any way, I would be demanding that they pay to fix/replace the part. You shouldn't settle or expect anything less. Plain and simple.
Old 07-13-06, 01:01 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

So I took it back to the tinter today, and he refuses to replace the pillar. He claims that his tinter didn't do it, even though I have 2 dealerships that said he did. He also said that I signed some papers about them not being responsible for damages >_<

He said he wouldn't refund the money because he flat out didn't have it... what a joke

So I told him if he could fix the tint problems in the passenger window and the back window I'd go ahead and get the pillar fixed myself since it's only 40 dollars. He told me to make an appointment and he'll see what he can do. He said that he doesn't plan on redoing the tint tho, just trying to do stuff to "minimize" the defect. am i correct in saying WTF?

So the plan is to make an appt for next week. I'll take it in and tell him I need it perfect, no big dust particles, no scratches on the tint. The problem isn't with the tint, but the workmanship. I'll tell him if he doesn't get it right, I'll be asking for a refund so that I can go get it done correctly elsewhere. If he refuses, then I go to BBB.

The problem is that I don't want to **** him off before he works on my car, yet I want to be firm enough for him to get the idea...

damn im such a wuss.
Old 07-13-06, 01:31 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Did you pay with a credit card? If so tell them your story, take lots of pics, and contest the charges.

If you paid by cash/check then all you can do is try to let him solve the problem, and then slam them all over the net/BBB etc.
Old 07-13-06, 01:42 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

cash

shoulda known better eh?
Old 07-13-06, 01:44 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmirk
If you paid by cash/check then all you can do is try to let him solve the problem,
If a shop damaged my car, denied it, and then refused to make it right, I wouldn't give them an opportunity to damage something else. From the manager's reaction, I'd guess that slipshod work is par-for-the-course at their shop. My approach would be to document the damage, get it fixed right (perhaps at the place that fixed the tint around your brake light), and then take them to small claims court to try to recover your losses.

Last edited by Bichon; 07-13-06 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-13-06, 03:40 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

How does this sound as an email reply?

Baron:
Please schedule me for next Friday (7/21) at 9am. I would like the front right passenger side, as well as the back to be fixed/redone. I won't accept anything less than perfect (no scratches to the film, definitely no bubbles). If you feel like you can't meet these expectations then please refund my money so that I can go somewhere that can. Here's the deal, if you're able to fix the flaws in the back window and the side window, I'll gladly pay to have the pillar replaced myself ($39.93). If you keep making excuses about how it's never going to be perfect, or how you gave it to me at such a cheap price (no one pays for a bad tint job), or how you're NOT going to redo the tint for whatever reason, I'm going to ask for a refund + pillar costs and go somewhere else. The flaws are not in the window, they're not in the film, or the solution that was used, but in the workmanship and enviornment. I'm sorry if I'm being an ***, but I expected to get a warm fuzzy feeling.after getting my car tinted, but the little flaws are bugging the hell out of me and having them there really cheapens my car. I chose SoundCheck because you guys have 15 years of experience, had the full lifetime warranty, and because you said you were part of the BBB. I don't care what it takes, I just want my car looking it's best and to my satisfaction. Please don't disappoint me.

should i add anything?

Last edited by jewel; 07-13-06 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-13-06, 03:51 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

sounds good, but have you notified them in person yet?
Old 07-13-06, 03:53 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

I talked to him in person today, showed him the flaws, and he straight out told me that he would not have the tinter redo it. He would try to minimize it, but would not completely redo it. He also denied the pillar was his fault.
Old 07-14-06, 01:58 PM
UAL
Rookie

You should try Song's Tintmasters on Washington. I had them tint my M5 a while back and none of the problems w/ which you are speaking of. Good luck.
Old 07-14-06, 04:30 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll say it again go to http://www.topdogwindowtinting.com and talk to Chuck, it will be perfect when he is done.
Old 07-14-06, 10:34 PM
DagsIS350
Driver School Candidate

Get your money back. I went to Alvin O's in Kearny Mesa. He's pricey. But, does a great job. Pulls all the door panels off and works on a lot of high end cars. My first visit was to Diamond tinting. The guy (the manager) explained to me how he was going to tint around the front door tweeters by just pulling the speakers out and not the door panels. I made a quick exit and drove straight to Alvin O's.
Old 07-27-06, 08:50 PM
FatFu
Driver School Candidate

Why is it so hard to get decent workmanship. You can take it to the DashboardStore here in La Mesa if you don't mind the knife cuts in the glass (one in the paint too), krinkles in the film, curling edges, dust, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My tint looks awful :(