IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Possible Design Flaw

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-06, 07:57 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible Design Flaw

Our new IS250 is a wonderfully designed car but I think they blew it in one minor area. The 12V power plug in the center console is an ideal place to keep a cell phone, stored out of the way (which I prefer) and on a car charger. But the plug is facing up, so when you plug in the charger, the plug end sticks up about three inches and you now cannot close the console.

In my G35 coupe, the plug is parallel to the ground so the charger end does not protrude up, allowing me to plug in a charger with the console closed.

Sigh, the designers may have missed the obvious on this one.
Old 07-04-06, 08:03 AM
UHEARDME
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. However, get one of the adapters that convert 1 outlet to two. Find a real basic (cheap)one and the plug should clear the console cover. This is what I have done and it has solved the problem.
Old 07-04-06, 08:14 AM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Magellan
Our new IS250 is a wonderfully designed car but I think they blew it in one minor area. The 12V power plug in the center console is an ideal place to keep a cell phone, stored out of the way (which I prefer) and on a car charger. But the plug is facing up, so when you plug in the charger, the plug end sticks up about three inches and you now cannot close the console.

In my G35 coupe, the plug is parallel to the ground so the charger end does not protrude up, allowing me to plug in a charger with the console closed.

Sigh, the designers may have missed the obvious on this one.
Not a possible design flaw--a definite design flaw. Same for the aux port, very inconvenient to access. Also, there is no place to run cord out of the console without closing the console on top of the cord.

There is hope though. Lexus stopped lining the front cupholder with cloth (that could not be removed) after realizing that you could not clean anything that spills--so maybe Lexus will fix these problems too. In the meantime, use a 90 degree angled connector for the power port.
Old 07-04-06, 08:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

at least its pretty minor and not that inconvenient, unlike iDrive
Old 07-04-06, 08:52 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

i think calling it a design flaw is a bit extreme, maybe a bad design is more appropriate. just because it doesn't work with 100% of the vehicle power adapters on the market doesn't mean it is a design flaw. the power adapter outlet itself always works, it is just located in a bad spot. not being able to close the door is a huge inconvenience sure but not necessarily a flawed design since the door doesn't HAVE to be closed for proper usage or even to drive the car, it just a preference.

some people are using a motorola razr vpa i think that's the brand, if you told them their outlet was flawed, they would say since it fits just fine. maybe i'm being picky and giving lexus the benefit of the doubt, but i'm sure there are huge vpa's that won't stick into the front outlet either and that door doesn't slide close either.

my 2 cents.
Old 07-04-06, 09:00 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
at least its pretty minor and not that inconvenient, unlike iDrive
Or selling a RHD interior in the LHD United States, ala, G35.
Old 07-04-06, 04:44 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kensteele
not being able to close the door is a huge inconvenience sure but not necessarily a flawed design since the door doesn't HAVE to be closed for proper usage or even to drive the car, it just a preference.
Well, I did say it was minor. But I’m having trouble distinguishing a “huge inconvenience” with a design flaw, however small.
Old 11-17-06, 03:50 PM
Mikey2007
Driver School Candidate

Default My vote is design flaw :)

Originally Posted by Magellan
Well, I did say it was minor. But I’m having trouble distinguishing a “huge inconvenience” with a design flaw, however small.
I thnk its a flaw, just like the nav lockout!(regardless of why they say its there, i don;t like it, and it diminishes my overall experience with the car, which was at 100% and now and 98% satisified!!
Old 11-17-06, 04:02 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Its not a design flaw....Its for the IPOD, that way you can plug it in the aux and charge it at the same time. You will notice when you charge it and have it playing at the same time it will make a whistling sound.
Old 11-17-06, 04:06 PM
Axvel
Driver

Originally Posted by Mikey2007
I thnk its a flaw, just like the nav lockout!(regardless of why they say its there, i don;t like it, and it diminishes my overall experience with the car, which was at 100% and now and 98% satisified!!

I had the same problem, go to the aftermarket cell phone store and try every charger, I have nokia 8800 and i told them that i will buy one if they let me try and choose the one that fits, and on the 3rd try i found a charger that fits. I will post pictures later if you guys want.
Old 11-17-06, 04:12 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mikey2007
the nav lockout is not a design flaw.
Old 11-17-06, 06:33 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
the nav lockout is not a design flaw.
I agree with you in this case, to me a design flaw has an "unintended" result. With the nav lockout, the result was clearly "intended"--to disable the functionality when the car is moving. Now whether it was a stupid idea to let the lawyers have a hand in designing this feature of the nav system, well BMW thinks its owners are smart enough to handle the NAV system safely and responsibly, even when the car is moving.
Old 11-17-06, 06:54 PM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

I have a Razr and we use an 8 buck charger my wife got at target with not issues. I also have an IPOD plugged into the aux jack and ittook me a few extra seconds to get the plug in but now its in its fine. I think it could be a little better planned out but it is my ONE and ONLY thing about the car that I would change. But I can live with it.
Old 11-17-06, 07:04 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

never mind.
Old 11-17-06, 07:25 PM
jkaram7
Rookie

Default More Info?

Originally Posted by UHEARDME
I agree. However, get one of the adapters that convert 1 outlet to two. Find a real basic (cheap)one and the plug should clear the console cover. This is what I have done and it has solved the problem.
Could I have more information about this adapter? Where can I find it?

Quick Reply: Possible Design Flaw