IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Which OEM tires did your IS come with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 03:17 AM
The Law
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which OEM tires did your IS come with?

It's my understanding that some of the earlier IS's came from the factory with Dunlops, which may have contributed to the alignment issue. I picked up my IS350 on 6/26, and it came with Bridgestone RE050's. Are the newer IS's now equipped with these tires, or did my Lexus dealer swap them out for me?
Old 07-03-06, 04:40 AM
bmoney12
Rookie

Mine came with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. I got the car last week.
Old 07-03-06, 05:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

18" tires are probably dunlop sport maxx, 17" AWD I think is the bridgestone potenza RE92s (worst tire ever invented), not sure about 17" RWD
Old 07-03-06, 06:18 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Mine, delivered the first week of December, came with Dunlop Sport Maxx tires. I've not had any alignment issues.
Old 07-03-06, 07:59 AM
BN06
Rookie

IS250 AWD: 17" Dunlop SP5000 A/S. No alignment issues. No vibration issues. (fingers crossed).

(Thread-jack not intended)My wish list is that the awd buyer have the option of choosing 18" w/summer rubber. That way its so much easier to go out and buy a second dedicated set of 17" wheels with snows installed. As it is now, I have the worst of all worlds. A set of tires that are not really great in the spring, summer, winter, or fall. The are just very average year round shoes. Since we pay for 18" wheels in the Lux package I think those w/lux option are getting the short end of the stick (or the long end depending on how you look at it).

BTW, there is no price difference/discount for the lux package w/17" wheels. Cheap a$$ ba$tar&s.

Last edited by BN06; 07-03-06 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-03-06, 08:17 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
Mine, delivered the first week of December, came with Dunlop Sport Maxx tires. I've not had any alignment issues.
Same here, and no issues, but then again I only have 2,200 miles on it so far
Old 07-03-06, 08:18 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

i took delivery last friday . . . i will have to go check, but i think i remember the dunlops as well.
Old 07-03-06, 08:42 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Got mine on December 6th and it came with Dunlop's and I haven't had an alignment issue at all.
Old 07-03-06, 09:12 AM
The Law
Driver School Candidate

I'm curious as to why my car came with the Bridgestone RE050's when it seems like other people who got their cars last week has Dunlop's. Is it an east coast/west coast allocation issue? I know it's not a big deal to some, but I just wonder if the dealer discovered that my car had alignment problems while performing their pre-delivery inspection, and switched the tires for me. If true, what if the alignment problem rears its ugly head again?!

Will
Old 07-03-06, 09:19 AM
Belmont
Pole Position

I have Dunlops as well.

Are the tires on your car a better or worse tire? I'm fairly certain they're only shipping with Dunlops.
Old 07-03-06, 09:32 AM
The Law
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Belmont
I have Dunlops as well.

Are the tires on your car a better or worse tire? I'm fairly certain they're only shipping with Dunlops.
I can't say if they're better or worse, but based on the tire rack reviews and certain threads I've perused, the RE050 is supposed to one of the best tires out there. People seem to be really high on the Bridgestone's, as opposed to the Dunlop's.

I'm probably just being paranoid, but if there was a problem with my car that required the dealer to swap the tires, or make any camber/castor adjustments, I would like to know about it. If I'm going to drop $44K OTD for a new car, I don't want a car that had problems off the docks.
Old 07-03-06, 09:48 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

not sure what you're reading The Law, but dunlop sport maxx are some of the best tires you can get for max performance summer tires. only real competition they have is michilen pilot sport ps/2
Old 07-03-06, 10:08 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Law
I'm probably just being paranoid, but if there was a problem with my car that required the dealer to swap the tires, or make any camber/castor adjustments, I would like to know about it. If I'm going to drop $44K OTD for a new car, I don't want a car that had problems off the docks.
There really isn't a reason to think the dealership would use a new set of tires to deal with an alignment issue. If they wanted to mask a problem, they would just mess with the inflation of the originals.

I think it's probably more of a supply issue. Dunlop probably ran out of stock of the Maxx since it's become very highly rated and they went to another manufacturer.
Old 07-03-06, 10:24 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
not sure what you're reading The Law, but dunlop sport maxx are some of the best tires you can get for max performance summer tires. only real competition they have is michilen pilot sport ps/2
Goodyear F1 GS-D3 got 1st place beating Michelin PS2 (4th) and Sport Maxx (6th place). Although sport maxx is an excellent tire from an OEM standpoint as most OEM tires are usually really crappy. These are made in stock 18" sizes as well and cost nearly the same as Sport Maxx on tirerack, PS2s are more expensive. Bridgestone RE050 got 9th place

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...y_f1_gs_ds.pdf
Old 07-03-06, 02:42 PM
theEND
Driver School Candidate

Mine came with the Bridgestone RE050's on my stock 18' rims. I really don't mind them too much due to the fact that I had them on my S2000 before I sold it. Performance wise it's a good tire, may not be the best but it does the job.

BTW I'm on the west coast if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply: Which OEM tires did your IS come with?