IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Official 2nd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 11:12 AM
cloo7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a good film from 3m, you can get 3m crystalline. It is comparable to Huper Optik and has lifetime warranty. Like what calvin2376 said above, don't skimp out on this type of work. You have to FIND A REPUTABLE INSTALLER as well as the product available from that installer. Please research as much as you can or else you will regret it!
Old 07-20-11, 11:12 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

My brother got 3M with carbon fiber supposed in it that came with a lifetime warranty. Installed on a 98 Integra for $189 installed.
Old 07-20-11, 11:15 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't be cheap. It's a Lexus. You get what you pay for! What's $100??
Old 07-20-11, 11:27 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

$300? I've never paid less than $325 for a tint job.
Old 07-20-11, 11:49 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
My brother got 3M with carbon fiber supposed in it that came with a lifetime warranty. Installed on a 98 Integra for $189 installed.
I think you meant carbon, not carbon fiber.

Originally Posted by my95tsi
$300? I've never paid less than $325 for a tint job.
Yeah, $300 is on the lower end in the Bay Area at least.
Old 07-20-11, 11:50 AM
TuscaniLuv
Driver

I have a guy with 25+ years of experience who did my 350 and my wifes 250 for $200 each. That included all windows, sunroof, and a 6in visor. Just find a reputable shop with experience otherwise you'll regret it.
Old 07-20-11, 12:16 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

3M tint is worth it, i've never heard anyone having issues with it that weren't related to improper installation.

That being said, I put cheap tint on my old car and it held up perfectly fine for 5 years without any bubbling, color fading, etc. When i sold it the tint looked perfectly good. So the cheaper tints doesn't necessarily look like crap in the future.

Whatever tint you get, just make sure a reputable shop that offers a LIFETIME warranty does the work. That way if you have any issues with the tint, just bring it back and get it redone.
Old 07-20-11, 12:38 PM
P51SN95
Driver School Candidate

I wish I knew what brand of tint was on my Mustang, I had it put on in '98 and it still looks great. Have people at Car shows still asking me who did my tint! lol

Paid $90 for all the windows plus a lifetime warranty. That shop is still in business but is a 2hr drive from where I live now, seriously thinking about driving back to have them do the wife's 250 though.
Old 07-20-11, 12:47 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want the best, get Huper Optik ceramic. I love mine. It is pricey, but Lexus is not a car for cheapskates, its for folks that appreciate and can afford quality things.

I got mine done at the Lexus dealership which also adds a bit of cost, but it gives me peace of mind that the people who issued the lifetime warranty on labor will make good on the warranty if I ever need to use it, as opposed to a third party tint shop which could fold or change hands in the future.
Old 07-20-11, 12:54 PM
gtbreeze
Driver School Candidate

The local tint shop told me that the ceramics like Huper Optiks are visually "shinier" which may not fit my tastes. They offer it and some high end carbon tints like Suntek but still suggested the carbon in order to get the flat black look. Can anyone clarify if this is true?
Old 07-20-11, 01:49 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Carbon polyester actually. You are correct, not carbon fiber.
Old 07-20-11, 05:22 PM
FrancisV
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys I will go ahead with 3M. You're all right don't want to be cheap and regret it. Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated!
Old 07-21-11, 02:53 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gtbreeze
The local tint shop told me that the ceramics like Huper Optiks are visually "shinier" which may not fit my tastes. They offer it and some high end carbon tints like Suntek but still suggested the carbon in order to get the flat black look. Can anyone clarify if this is true?
I don't find the (Huper) tint to be shiny necessarily, but then again my interest in tint is more for function -- to keep sunlight out of my eyes as much as possible and keep the interior cool -- than for style, so I am not the best person to comment on how one tint looks compared to another. I will say there are some good Youtube videos out there that will give you a good feel for how Huper Optik will look on your car (I haven't viewed them in over a year). I personally think it looks just right -- high quality and classy, suitable for the Lexus. The dealership has an interest in doing work that does not do anything that makes the brand appear low-rent.

Today I am driving a loaner IS that has no tint, and just driving the loaner I am really missing my Huper tint with all the glare bouncing off the vehicles next to me on a 100 degree day.

I would think a good tint shop would have some examples of glass with the different tints on them you can see and get a better feel for the particular look you want, if that's the most important criteria. Functionally though, Huper is well worth it. Your interior will be less susceptible to rattles due to less thermal extremes and your car will be more comfortable if you live in a warm climate. If you have lots of snow, less glare in your eyes than cheaper tint
Old 07-21-11, 05:10 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
3M tint is worth it, i've never heard anyone having issues with it that weren't related to improper installation.

That being said, I put cheap tint on my old car and it held up perfectly fine for 5 years without any bubbling, color fading, etc. When i sold it the tint looked perfectly good. So the cheaper tints doesn't necessarily look like crap in the future.

Whatever tint you get, just make sure a reputable shop that offers a LIFETIME warranty does the work. That way if you have any issues with the tint, just bring it back and get it redone.
I bought my car already tinted. Any way to tell what kind of film or brand it is?
Old 07-21-11, 05:27 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SPNinjA
I bought my car already tinted. Any way to tell what kind of film or brand it is?
Non-clever method: One idea is to look through any/all paperwork you might have gotten from prior owner. I know I got a slip of paper (or certificate) with the Huper warranty info on it when I had it put on, and I just folded it, found room for it in the case that holds the owners manual. I suspect that's a common habit, so if you see paper in there that says 3M, Huper or some other recognizable brand there ya go.

From the tint itself?

Potentially more-clever method: If I put on a pair of polarized sunglasses and look at my windows, I can see a wavy pattern in my tint that I do not see in most other tinted windows, except for a couple of Lexuses I've seen that were at the dealership where I bought mine. Its not visible without polarized sunglasses. I have no idea of knowing if that pattern is a consistent result of Huper's manufacturing process or just a fluke. It would be kind of cool to learn that this method can be used to identify tint brand, though. I would think that tint makers would need some method of identifying their own product, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Quick Reply: Official 2nd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!