IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

G35driver forum: owners seem a bit bitter about IS350

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 01:56 PM
boostedg35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree that some g35 drivers have there heads up the butt.. but i am not one of them.. i cant really compare my g35 to the is350 because i have gone so far with mods that its not fair.. my car will whoop on a is350 in any catagory except automatic transmission..lol in my eyes the only thing the is350 is lacking is a manual.. thats it.. the ride quality that most people are complaining about will be fixed with aftermarket support. to make it stiffer and hug the ground more... i love everything that the is350 represents.. luxury sedan with power.. best on the market right now in automatic transmision.. if i didnt have a g35 already i would be waiting for the 335i from bmw not the is350 but since i already have a coupe for performance and looks.. im in the market for a nice sedan to just cruise and handle family stuff.. an in that aspect the is350 is very hot!.. im interested in it.. and you saw my car.. i am a car enthusiast and i love all cars for what they are..

g35 coupe is an awesome car
is350 is an awesome car

i dont really like the g35 sedan so ehh to that.. next year is going to be a huge year for the auto lovers.. 335i new g35 coupe.. hopefully the is350 comes in manual transmission.. cheers to everyone here.. in no way do i put down the is350.. but i will defend the coupe so if you are going to make statements back them up with facts..

the g35 simply owns everything in its class for price/value/luxury.. they def put lexus/bmw/acura in the corner to come out with better products and so far all of them are respoding..
Old 06-14-06, 02:33 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I appreciate your entire post. However, I do have to take exception to this:

Originally Posted by boostedg35
the g35 simply owns everything in its class for price/value/luxury.. they def put lexus/bmw/acura in the corner to come out with better products and so far all of them are respoding..
G35's are not the value they used to be.

My IS with Nav, Mark Levinson, Sport, and Z1 (wheel locks, trunk mat, etc.) packages retails at just under $44K.

A comparably equipped g35 coupe with AT, Premium, Nav, Sunroof, Sport, and trunk mat is just under $42K. That's only $2K difference.

However, the coupe won't have the adaptive d4s hid front projectors that swivel into the turns and put out 20% more light (3800 lumens v. 3200 for the coupe) at a whiter color temp (4800 v. 4300K ), the ventilated seats, bluetooth, voice activated Nav with touchscreen v. joystick, and we all know what a joke the 8 speaker Blose is compared to the 14 speaker 7.1 surround Mark Levinson.

My IS gets just under 26 mpg for my commute (on a green engine) while my coupe only got 21-22 and it'll beat the coupe (AT or MT) in acceleration. When all of the car rags figure out how to disable VDIM completely (which can't be done on the coupe although it has a very high threshold before intervention), it'll be much more of a contest in the handling department also

The only thing the coupe has over the IS is the looks and the availability of aftermarket parts. The latter will change as I remember when parts for the G were scarce when it first came out.
Old 06-14-06, 02:40 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

What do you want the G35 owners to say or feel about your beloved IS? You want us to say "oh yeah your car is better than mine in every single category"? Come on, we bought G35 because we love it. You bought IS because you love it . I personally wouldn't try to convince you that G is better than IS. Don't whine like a bunch of babies when the owners of the other cars don't give respect to your car.
Old 06-14-06, 02:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I've noticed the same when I frequented both this forum and the G35 forums. In fact one of the factors in getting the Lexus for me was the quality of the people surrounding the product; you're sort of "buying in" to a crowd here, but for me it felt like I was "buying in" to a more mature, knowledgeable and helpful group of people here than over there. Plus, the two cars are indeed totally different, and I think you can see that by what we complain about; we say the G35 has bad navigation controls, poor materials, etc because we as Lexus owners prioritize luxury over sport, whereas they obviously do not.
Many, many members say that here. The forum and "class" of people is a deciding factor. In last months Modifed Exotics mag, there is one Lamborghini owner who said a big factor in buying the Murchialago is the owners are like Porsche guys, car nuts, he felt Ferrari owners were snobbish.

Well lets look at some things here. The G35 IS a cheaper car, you can get the sedan for 28k and I've seen lease deals for $199 a month. So it will attract a different buyer. In contrast, the IS starts at 30k and is loaded to 45k, the G35 is about 38k loaded.

The IS is a newer car and a series, 2 different engines, the G35 is one engine in a coupe and sedan.

Every forum will defend the car they bought.

When a new car comes out, the owners of the OLDER car, will get defensive.

The G35 has not beat the IS 350 in ANY comparison.

The IS is FAR MORE luxurious and is FASTER to boot! Then you get the IMAGE of owning a Lexus.

I think most here would agree the G35 coupe is a fine car from an exterior standpoint. The sedan is IMO one ugly car. The interiors are worst in class.

Clearly a NEW G35 is coming and we'll get defensive when it comes out

THank you for not CROSS LINKING to the other site, we do not allow that.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-14-06, 02:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Don't whine like a bunch of babies when the owners of the other cars don't give respect to your car.
And don't make inflammatory generalizations please.

Both are very fine cars, both will have fans that feel strongly their car is better. Very few really care at all what others think, far less than the 'bunch' you infer that is inclusive of the members of this forum.
Old 06-14-06, 02:50 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

f i didnt have a g35 already i would be waiting for the 335i from bmw not the is350 but since i already have a coupe for performance and looks.. im in the market for a nice sedan to just cruise and handle family stuff.. an in that aspect the is350 is very hot!.. im interested in it.. and you saw my car.. i am a car enthusiast and i love all cars for what they are..
If you love all cars for what they are then I'm a little confused that you love the IS 350 for being a family sedan as you say. Have you seen the back seat? Sure it has 4 doors and that makes it more practical than your G35, but I've never really heard it called a family car... Also why does the fact that you have a G35 coupe mean you want an IS 350 more than a 335i??? The Lexus and the BMW are pretty much the same in terms of being practical, power will probably be similar, and if anything the 335i is likely to handle better. So this logic doesn't make too much sense for me.
in no way do i put down the is350.. but i will defend the coupe so if you are going to make statements back them up with facts..
I gave you plenty of facts a few posts back. The dash is confusing. The nav is not very good. The seat controls are inconvenient. The gauges are ugly. Many people complain about rattles in the cabin. These are facts dude. You have a nice car, and it's cool that you modded the heck out of it, but you gotta be realistic here.
the g35 simply owns everything in its class for price/value/luxury..
The G35 is a good value, that is true (especially with lease deals and hefty discounts off MSRP), and it is has good performance for the money. It doesn't own anybody for luxury.

Last edited by diablo1; 06-14-06 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-14-06, 06:42 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tony1
The IS350 is in a higher class than the g35, I don't there's any arguing there.
Umm no its not. Same class. Why do you think they are compared to each other?

LOL.

Btw, the IS350 is definitely better in some ways and the current G35 is better in some others. Both cars have there area. The new G35 will probaby be better than the current new IS350. Just have to wait and see.

I just sold my G35 and was gonna get a IS350 but the dealers are on a bit of crack for asking how much they are for a smaller car that doesn't have a lot of the features standard. So I decided to get a ACURA TL NAV when it gets here.
Old 06-14-06, 06:43 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by onihc
infiniti is higher than acura.

if you thought infiniti forums were bad, check out bimmer forums.
Actually I would rate Acura higher than Infiniti.
Old 06-14-06, 09:11 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

What the heck did you do? that looks like a crappy Altima!
Old 06-14-06, 11:10 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

i just read an online forum article that discusses infiniti and acura actually classified as a tier 2 luxury car company. lexus/mercedes/bmw are classified as tier 1. i've put 44k miles on a g35 coupe myself.. nice car.. but it's luxury on a tight budget (if you can even give it that). lexus is purely a fully fledged luxury name plate now.
Old 06-15-06, 12:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Badman Forever
i just read an online forum article that discusses infiniti and acura actually classified as a tier 2 luxury car company. lexus/mercedes/bmw are classified as tier 1. i've put 44k miles on a g35 coupe myself.. nice car.. but it's luxury on a tight budget (if you can even give it that). lexus is purely a fully fledged luxury name plate now.
Give this man a beer. Infiniti+Acura+Saab+Volvo+Buick<Lexus

Old 06-15-06, 12:56 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Its funny how you guys mention how the g35 is cheaper and that you can get huge discounts, lease deals, etc. Before this new IS came out, I saw lexus dealers selling IS300 left and right for 24k or less brand new. Lease deals were beyond cheap as well. Sales were horrible. This is the last year for the G35 sedan and it seems to be selling fairly well. though sales are down from last year. All cars sell like this when its near the end of its cycle. This just shows how defensive people are towards their car. I've driven both cars and they are both very well put together. I do have to give the performance edge to the G35 though. The IS350 did feel like it pulled more but nothing too different from the G. The IS has all the new goodies and technology so yes, its ahead of the G35 currently. When the new G35 comes out however, I think it will be better than the IS in everyway. Probably ont gas mileage though
Old 06-15-06, 12:57 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Badman Forever
I believe this is true ONLY in the united states.
Old 06-15-06, 01:08 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by diablo1
Yes, I agree that the '07 G35 is much improved and may be a more serious competitor to the IS. It will be interesting to see how they match up in a head-to-head comparison. Obviously the mags will still choose the BMW 3-series as first place, because they always do, but I wonder who will be second.

PS - Welcome to CL and congrats on your first post...
Actually, i have a feeling the G35 will beat out the 3 series like they did with the current G35 sedan/coupe. I think the battle for 1st place will be the 3 series and G35.
Old 06-15-06, 07:14 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
Its funny how you guys mention how the g35 is cheaper and that you can get huge discounts, lease deals, etc. Before this new IS came out, I saw lexus dealers selling IS300 left and right for 24k or less brand new. Lease deals were beyond cheap as well. Sales were horrible. This is the last year for the G35 sedan and it seems to be selling fairly well. though sales are down from last year. All cars sell like this when its near the end of its cycle. This just shows how defensive people are towards their car. I've driven both cars and they are both very well put together. I do have to give the performance edge to the G35 though. The IS350 did feel like it pulled more but nothing too different from the G. The IS has all the new goodies and technology so yes, its ahead of the G35 currently. When the new G35 comes out however, I think it will be better than the IS in everyway. Probably ont gas mileage though
Ya, I've actually heard that the new G35 that's coming out will be comparable to the Bentley Continental series for luxury, but it will be a bit faster - probably close to the Ferrari Enzo in terms of handling and acceleration. I expect the car mags to give it first place against the 7-series and S Class for premium luxury sedans, but obviously it's going to beat out the M3, RS4, and probably the rumored IS 500 in the performance category as well. Because you know, the '07 G35 will be God's gift to cars.

Give it up dude. Infiniti is a second-tier luxury car manufacturer. Representatives of the company have said so themselves:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...4&page=2&pp=15
"We're limited; we're not a complete Tier 1 brand," Lennon says (chairman of Infiniti's National Dealer Advisory Board)

Also:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201542
11) Do you think Infinitis are priced right?

Until we reach the top, we will have to be the value story. If anything, I'm concerned about price increases for the brand. We have to be the value franchise until we can say we're a Tier 1. We have not reached our goal until we can charge more.

12) Which brands do you consider to be Tier 1?

Mercedes, BMW and Lexus. We would like people to throw us in there as No. 4.

Quick Reply: G35driver forum: owners seem a bit bitter about IS350