IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vaistech SLI iPOD intergration installed(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 01:00 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cleblanc
Can you view the details screen that shows the album name, song name, artist, genre while the car is in motion? On my ES350 that screen is disabled. I'm wondering how this will work with the VAIS unit attached?
I answered you in the VAIS Group Buy thread. Take a look.
Old 06-14-06, 01:16 PM
cleblanc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pocky
I answered you in the VAIS Group Buy thread. Take a look.
I saw that but sorry, that didn't answer my question so I posted here.
I know that Lexus disabled it (although I highly doubt it is a safety issue). That is pretty lame and I reported this to Lexus Customer service.
My question was whether or not the screen is STILL disabled when you use the VAIS unit. I really don't see the purpose of having a details screen and advertising it if you cannot use it. Nobody just sits in the car and just listens to music through their car stereo.
Old 06-14-06, 02:21 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by cleblanc
I saw that but sorry, that didn't answer my question so I posted here.
I know that Lexus disabled it (although I highly doubt it is a safety issue). That is pretty lame and I reported this to Lexus Customer service.
My question was whether or not the screen is STILL disabled when you use the VAIS unit. I really don't see the purpose of having a details screen and advertising it if you cannot use it. Nobody just sits in the car and just listens to music through their car stereo.
Okay, I believe the VAIS unit will NOT let you press the detail button. As it is still a safety feature of the vehicle. The VAIS unit is made so you can ultilize the iPod to play music in the car. That is all.

The same question looms when Lexus offers you DVD playback, but you have to leave the car in Park with the Parking Brake on. Pointless.

Last edited by pocky; 06-14-06 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-14-06, 03:08 PM
cleblanc
Rookie

Originally Posted by pocky
Okay, I believe the VAIS unit will NOT let you press the detail button. As it is still a safety feature of the vehicle. The VAIS unit is made so you can ultilize the iPod to play music in the car. That is all.

The same question looms when Lexus offers you DVD playback, but you have to leave the car in Park with the Parking Brake on. Pointless.
At least with that it is somewhat understandable as a safety feature. The same can be said of the navigation map, where there is some sort of motion on the screen.
But the song details screen??? You may glance at it for a second to check a song name but that is it. You do not sit there and watch it or be distracted by it.
In my opinion this is not a safety issue, but a bug in the system masked as a safety issue to avoid fixing it. The screen is totally unusable unless you sit in the garage listening to music. At least with bluetooth and nav there are voice commands to avoid programming while driving. If I sound like I'm totally baffled about why it works this way for the audio details, it's because I am.
Old 06-20-06, 12:31 AM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, what's the dealio?!?!

I know there were a flurry of orders for Vaistech the other day (including myself), but I'm depending on you electronics-savvy people to install without a hitch and post really big and clear pictures for all of us to make sure it goes smooth as silk...

I know things have been posted...in this particular thread, no less. But can you guys detail exactly how and where you mounted the unit? I seem to have read "behind the glove", but exactly how? And has anyone mounted their Ipod in the glove? Did you do anything special with it?

I'm looking forward to hacking my Nav at the same time...what other mods can I do while I have the Nav out? I don't want to have to do this often...
Old 06-21-06, 12:01 PM
Aclarke
Driver

Anyone install this on a non-nav 2IS??? How is the song info displayed?
Old 06-21-06, 12:27 PM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

that's pretty lame if you can only play songs in a playlist. why did they do that?
Old 06-21-06, 01:57 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oneeyejack
that's pretty lame if you can only play songs in a playlist. why did they do that?
not at all. not ideal but hardly lame as lots of apps involve only the playlist...so this isn't unusual. just create a bunch of playlist or put your entire ipod in a playlist (i think there is a 99 limit anyway).
Old 06-21-06, 02:37 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Because they treat a playlist as a "CD". I am sure the adapter could handle having a list of 3500 songs, but more than likely, they are handcuffed by the limitations of the stereo. Since the stereo is only set up to play songs located on a CD or MP3's burned on a CD, they have to mimic that in some way, hence the playlists...
Old 06-21-06, 03:52 PM
BShears
Rookie

So this screen is NOT available when the car is in motion? If that's true that's disappointing.
Attached Thumbnails Vaistech SLI iPOD intergration installed(pics)-img_1296.jpg  
Old 06-21-06, 05:19 PM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350_PHIL
Because they treat a playlist as a "CD". I am sure the adapter could handle having a list of 3500 songs, but more than likely, they are handcuffed by the limitations of the stereo. Since the stereo is only set up to play songs located on a CD or MP3's burned on a CD, they have to mimic that in some way, hence the playlists...
mp3's aren't really on a playlist though when burned onto a cd. they're just files.

anyone ever try playing mp3's from a dvd? does that work?
Old 06-21-06, 05:43 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BShears
So this screen is NOT available when the car is in motion? If that's true that's disappointing.
I think it might be available if you have done the nav hack, since from the players perspective, you are standing still...
Old 06-21-06, 05:48 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

mp3's aren't really on a playlist though when burned onto a cd. they're just files.

anyone ever try playing mp3's from a dvd? does that work?
They are not in a playlist when you play a store bought cd either. I was just referring to the fact that the CD is the finite container of the songs, which is mirrored by the playlist on the the iPod.

I think someone (kensteele?) has been working on the mystery of playing MP3's off a dvd. As far as I know no one has been able to do it yet...
Old 06-21-06, 06:49 PM
BShears
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS350_PHIL
I think it might be available if you have done the nav hack, since from the players perspective, you are standing still...
I wasn't going to do the nav hack but this could change my mind. Can someone confirm this?

1. Can you see the song, title, and artist while in motion?

2. If not, if you do the nav hack can you see it?

I read some other threads about if you do the nav hack the screen shakes. Is that true?
Old 06-21-06, 07:00 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BShears
I read some other threads about if you do the nav hack the screen shakes. Is that true?
That is categorically untrue. If you perform the operation incorrectly, it is possible to trigger the screen shakes.

Quick Reply: Vaistech SLI iPOD intergration installed(pics)