IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help: Fog light removal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 07:12 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Fog light removal?

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to remove the wheel well enough to pull it back so i can get to the Fog Bulbs. I want to change them to Mtech Bulbs but I cant get to them.

I ran countless searches on how to change the bulbs and this is the best one I found.

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
Fog Lights-There is an access cover underneath on the drivers side. Remove two plastic clips by prying out center of clip with a small screw driver. There is also a round rubber cover in the same location for access to adjustment screw for fog light.(Adjustment screw is for aiming)
For the passenger side you'll need to pull back the black plastic cover under the fog light or wheel well to gain access.
But I cant figure it out. Can anyone give me better tips on how to get to the fogs? Even the Drivers side through the access hole I cant really pull the bulb out after turning it loose. Its blocked by the wheel well.

Anyone have any picture instructions on what to do? How much to remove?

Thanks!!
Old 05-17-06, 07:24 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

yeah.. i just did mine today.. look at the first picture and take out #1 and #2 screws.. and just fit your finger right beneath where you unscrewed #1, and just forcefully pull it out.. i know it seems scary since its a new car, but its just plastic, and it will bend back.
Old 05-17-06, 07:49 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

I'm assuming you mean thses two screws in this pic... but even with those removed and the screw and peg under where I circled is removed... the corner where I circled is really wedged in there... I tried tugging on the bottom and it doesnt want to come out.
Attached Thumbnails Help: Fog light removal?-resize-of-pict00581bm.jpg  
Old 05-17-06, 08:50 PM
jasoncd
Pole Position

If you want some more leverage stick a flathead screwdriver between the plastic and fender to pry the plastic away. Just be careful not to scratch the paint, though since you're on the *inside* of the fender you shouldn't have any problems. I did this, it's a good way to get that first pop out.

Going underneath was definitely easier, but I couldn't get a grip on the bulb to rotate it out. Was too lazy to jack it up. I believe it's possible to access the passenger side from underneath too, just take alot of screws/pins to remove. Search around for that solution.
Old 05-17-06, 08:53 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
I'm assuming you mean thses two screws in this pic... but even with those removed and the screw and peg under where I circled is removed... the corner where I circled is really wedged in there... I tried tugging on the bottom and it doesnt want to come out.

you dont need to pull that bottom part out... just work with that middle part and make a space big enough for your hands to reach in and unscrew the fog lights.
Old 05-17-06, 09:25 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Thanks I'll give the prying between the screw method... I'm jsut scared to pull that hard... afraid it'll be bent out of shape and cant get it back in without it being deformed! Will report back tomorrow...

Unless someone else has better suggestions please let me know.
Old 05-18-06, 12:36 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks I'll give the prying between the screw method... I'm jsut scared to pull that hard... afraid it'll be bent out of shape and cant get it back in without it being deformed! Will report back tomorrow...

Unless someone else has better suggestions please let me know.
Not really, just don't be affraid to pull on it. It is only plastic and it's not going to break on you.
Old 05-18-06, 03:59 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Payam
Not really, just don't be affraid to pull on it. It is only plastic and it's not going to break on you.
yea trust his word, just pull it hard! you can do it!!
Old 05-18-06, 04:56 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

i was afraid at first.. but when all went well on one side.. i just tore apart the other side and finished in under 5 minutes with everything back in place perfectly.
Old 05-19-06, 10:15 AM
Dr. Yellow
Lead Lap

so you just remove the two screws and pull on BOTH driver and passenger sides? what is this access cover on the driver side?
Old 05-19-06, 11:05 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dr. Yellow
so you just remove the two screws and pull on BOTH driver and passenger sides? what is this access cover on the driver side?

Ya I did it yesterday. remove those two quarter turn screws and a screw and peg located under where the red circle is and just pry the side... where the wheel well and bumper meets. Its tough. Not that easy... and when I did it it left two creases on the wheel well kinda like where you crease a piece of paper. Fold up a piece of paper and create a half cone and push down... The tip of the cone creates a crease. thats what happened. Both sides too. but it works...

The access cover is uder there... you can touch the bulb and turn it but you cant get enough room to pull the actual bulb out. Its harder.
Old 05-19-06, 12:49 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

Ya I did it yesterday. remove those two quarter turn screws and a screw and peg located under where the red circle is and just pry the side... where the wheel well and bumper meets. Its tough. Not that easy... and when I did it it left two creases on the wheel well kinda like where you crease a piece of paper. Fold up a piece of paper and create a half cone and push down... The tip of the cone creates a crease. thats what happened. Both sides too. but it works...
exactly how i did it..
Old 05-20-06, 02:38 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

yea. unfortunately.. im switching my mtec fogs for piaa fogs.. the piaa ion yellow is as yellow as the is300 yellow foglights, while the mtech just isn't as yellow.. great.. i have to do the fog install all over again
Old 05-20-06, 03:38 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
yea. unfortunately.. im switching my mtec fogs for piaa fogs.. the piaa ion yellow is as yellow as the is300 yellow foglights, while the mtech just isn't as yellow.. great.. i have to do the fog install all over again
are you talking about the piaa ion Yellow H11 Halogen Light Bulb? isent it like 89$?
Old 05-20-06, 03:55 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nicelex13
are you talking about the piaa ion Yellow H11 Halogen Light Bulb? isent it like 89$?
nope, im talking about the 9006 piaa ion yellow bulbs, they're on ebay for 70-80

i had mtec ion yellow bulbs, but i bought some piaa ion yellow wedge bulbs for my parking light, and they're VERY yellow.. so i just want it to match the yellow by buying the piaa fogs

Quick Reply: Help: Fog light removal?