IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson Audio Package

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-06, 10:06 PM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Audio Package

I was just wondering if someone could tell me the difference in the ML audio system as compared to the system that has 13 speakers with the 6 cd in dash changer. I know ML has 14 speakers, but how big a difference is the ML's 14 speakers vs. the 13 speakers system?

Lorna
Old 04-15-06, 11:10 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a difference between the two systems in their overall character in sound. The ML system has more goodies to it and it sounds fairly good.

I'd listen to both systems first if possible. The ML system seems to have more problems (blown speakers, blown subs, overheating amps, decoding issues, etc) than the stock system.

Have you listened to both systems yet?

Percy
Old 04-15-06, 11:48 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

The ML also plays DVD's...
Old 04-16-06, 12:02 AM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Percy
There is a difference between the two systems in their overall character in sound. The ML system has more goodies to it and it sounds fairly good.

I'd listen to both systems first if possible. The ML system seems to have more problems (blown speakers, blown subs, overheating amps, decoding issues, etc) than the stock system.

Have you listened to both systems yet?

Percy
No, I havent heard both systems yet... but if the ML system has problems with speakers blowing, I think maybe I should get the stock system, then upgrade later with an Alpine or Eclipse NAV system... maybe a pair of JL 12" W7's ; save the money for the good stuff

Lorna

Last edited by DaSweetgrl; 04-16-06 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-16-06, 12:35 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other day I put in my Mission Impossible DVD and went to my favourite scene, the Audi and Porsche race, and cranked it. I've never heard a system sound so great, the bass was incredible!
Old 04-16-06, 12:42 AM
paeko73
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
The other day I put in my Mission Impossible DVD and went to my favourite scene, the Audi and Porsche race, and cranked it. I've never heard a system sound so great, the bass was incredible!
Yes. Didn't you tell me at your garage sale that you were trying to get rid of your home theater components because they are no longer needed. Your leisure moments will be spent in the IS from now on.
Old 04-16-06, 06:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSweetgrl
No, I havent heard both systems yet... but if the ML system has problems with speakers blowing, I think maybe I should get the stock system, then upgrade later with an Alpine or Eclipse NAV system... maybe a pair of JL 12" W7's ; save the money for the good stuff

Lorna
there was a problem with the sub blowing on the ML systems but that can easily be fixed at factory by switching to a stronger glue, no ones posted about any speaker blowouts, the speakers that come in the ML are very good for a factory offered system
Old 04-16-06, 09:43 AM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

So is the difference only that the Levinson package comes with a subwoofer and the base system does not?

Lorna
Old 04-16-06, 09:56 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

So is the difference only that the Levinson package comes with a subwoofer and the base system does not?

Lorna
No, not at all. The ML comes with a DVD changer, the base system has a CD changer. The ML offers surround sound processing, the base system does not. The speakers, the amps, even the wiring harnesses are different.
Old 04-16-06, 10:28 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Lorna
The base system also has a sub in the back, but the ML system has a center channel speaker up front.
Old 04-16-06, 10:31 AM
Percy

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
there was a problem with the sub blowing on the ML systems but that can easily be fixed at factory by switching to a stronger glue, no ones posted about any speaker blowouts, the speakers that come in the ML are very good for a factory offered system
Check the Car Electronics/Car Audio forum. There have been a few complaints about blown subs in all the car models.

Was the glue for the cone or for the coil former? Focal had the same problem with their titanium tweeters...molasses held the structure better than the glue they had used.

Percy
Old 04-16-06, 10:34 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Percy
Check the Car Electronics/Car Audio forum. There have been a few complaints about blown subs in all the car models.

Was the glue for the cone or for the coil former? Focal had the same problem with their titanium tweeters...molasses held the structure better than the glue they had used.

Percy
If memory serves me, it was the glue on the cone.

Last edited by Payam; 04-16-06 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-16-06, 10:38 AM
Percy

Easy fix! Glad it wasn't for the coil/former...that would have been a massive pain. Surprised ML didn't use the good stuff from the beginning though. ML has been available for the last 5 years now for Lexus.

Percy
Old 04-16-06, 11:55 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just wondering if someone could tell me the difference in the ML audio system as compared to the system that has 13 speakers with the 6 cd in dash changer. I know ML has 14 speakers, but how big a difference is the ML's 14 speakers vs. the 13 speakers system?

Lorna
The DVD player that's included in the ML package is fantastic. I have 3 dvd's (ie, rolling stones, dire straits, etc..) in my car at all times. I listen to them all the time, and when I'm stopped at a traffic light or elsewhere, I just push down the emergency brake, and can watch the DVD.
Old 04-16-06, 12:22 PM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

Can anyone say whether the ML system is worth the extra $$$... or should I just get stock and go aftermarket?

Lorna

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio Package