IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS350 news!! & Lexus issues...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-06, 09:43 PM
Pwyll
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if I do ultimately choose to buy the IS350 I'll have to come down to Maryland and chat with your salesman about a "special order", because nobody up here knows a thing about the car. Or, there will be tons on IS350's on the lot in November and December when the new G sedan comes out.

I really think the whole Lexus "regional" allocation design is a detriment. I saw other posts of how people can't find the cars they want and couldn't believe California and Florida had cars all over the lots.
Old 04-15-06, 09:47 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwyll
CatThaFeR:

Email me. pwyll49682@aol.com I'll talk to you about my LI experiences.
oh i was just wondering..i bought mine at rallye and had a very pleasant experience
Old 04-15-06, 10:02 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

TimbolS

So what you're trying to say is that it's pretty universal that the Lexus salesmen don't know their product?
I'd say that's 50% of the cases. The other 50% are just trying to sell you something they have in stock.
Old 04-16-06, 08:49 AM
Skyjumper
Driver School Candidate

I agree that the regional allocation of builds is kind of strange there definitely aren't cars just sitting around on the lots here in the SF Bay area. 350s are still flying out the door as soon as they come in around here and the 250s were moving pretty well from what I picked up while I was looking.

I wanted a color that was produced in low numbers, so I had to check around CA a lot to find what I wanted. The ML package seems pretty available around here and was a standard part of the builds on the more loaded cars in the allocations. (if they had luxury or sport they had ML)

I really think the whole Lexus "regional" allocation design is a detriment. I saw other posts of how people can't find the cars they want and couldn't believe California and Florida had cars all over the lots.
Old 04-16-06, 09:43 AM
ptmIS350
Rookie

Hello from a newbie!

As a current G35 owner, I was invited to attend the NY Auto Show yesterday for the unveiling of the 2007 G35. Unbelievable car!...(that's not why I'm posting though). I'll leave that alone

My second stop at the show was the LEXUS floor.

First, after discussing a few things about the IS350 with a representative from Lexus, I was told one known change for the [B]2007 IS350 is FINALLY, a control switch to disable the "Vehicle Dynamic Control" . I knew some of you guys out there had complaints about Lexus keeping the car too safe and locking out this feature, so I was sure you'd like to hear that!

Okay, now my issue with Lexus.

I like the IS and drove it several times (both models). The car, though small, is very nice. My problems aren't with the car so much, but with LEXUS. Maybe you guys can help. These are my issues with LEXUS regarding this car.

1. There are hardly any cars on the lots - at least here in NY, and it's not from overwhelming
sales. I had to wait 4 weeks to see a car with the NAV and NEVER got to see/drive a
350sport.
The manager of one dealership told me the 6-week allocation of cars for the northeast
region was 26 vehicles. His comment: "That equals 1/2 a car per dealership". Folks, that
includes ALL IS models 250/AWD & 350's! How many 350's with sport and nav in there?
2. I was told the "Mark Levinson" system is not yet available and may not be, because the
folks at Lexus think the basic system with 11 speakers in a small car is sufficient. In my
opinion, it's not a very good "base" system for a 40+K car.
3. One salesman told me there is no such color as "Mica Frost". It took a while to prove him
wrong. Another dealer told me "mica frost", "breakwater blue", and the dark blue color have
already been discontinued. I was told by the rep. at the auto show ...chuckle.."not true."
4. When I bought my Infiniti sport package (which came with summer performance tires), they
easily, without question, changed the tires to all season v-rated tires. The Lexus folks
wouldn't even consider it. The answer simply, "no, you would just have to buy snow tires."

There were other issues but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I get frustrated just thinking how a company like this can let business slip right out of their hands so easily because of simple things like this.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND, I AM NOT HERE TO BASH THE CAR! I LIKE IT FOR ALOT OF REASONS and would consider buying it (though still torn about waiting for the new G). I respect all the forums and have friends amongst many of them. I am just reaching out to see if any of you have experienced these or similar problems and to hear what you were told and how these issues were addressed / resolved.

I would greatly appreciate any information you guys can give me! This seems like a really friendly forum!

Many thanks.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Your dealer is giving you BS...get away as fast as possible. My dealer here in Jersey just got a bunch of 350's in 2 weeks ago.

The comment about the Mark Levinson is an out an out lie, most of the people here have them. I test drove a lex premium system and thought it was an ML until he told me no its not an ML. When I got my car I got an ML, but it's tough to see a BIG difference although there is a difference but I am not the type to crank it up super high anyways. I think the Lex premium does sound really good.

There are some dealers and salesman who think they are dealing with morons off the street and have lexus snob written all over them. If they act even remotely like morons get away, your dealer is trying to get you to buy something off the lot, thats why there is no mica.

But you do have to buy snow tires like any other model in this class, especially on the 350.

Give Ed Marchese at Ray Catena Lexus in Oakhurst NJ a call, he'll get you your car, a good discount off MSRP and respect you as a customer.

Good Luck
Old 04-16-06, 11:59 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1. There are hardly any cars on the lots - at least here in NY, and it's not from overwhelming
sales. I had to wait 4 weeks to see a car with the NAV and NEVER got to see/drive a
350sport.
The manager of one dealership told me the 6-week allocation of cars for the northeast
region was 26 vehicles. His comment: "That equals 1/2 a car per dealership". Folks, that
includes ALL IS models 250/AWD & 350's! How many 350's with sport and nav in there?
2. I was told the "Mark Levinson" system is not yet available and may not be, because the
folks at Lexus think the basic system with 11 speakers in a small car is sufficient. In my
opinion, it's not a very good "base" system for a 40+K car.
3. One salesman told me there is no such color as "Mica Frost". It took a while to prove him
wrong. Another dealer told me "mica frost", "breakwater blue", and the dark blue color have
already been discontinued. I was told by the rep. at the auto show ...chuckle.."not true."
4. When I bought my Infiniti sport package (which came with summer performance tires), they
easily, without question, changed the tires to all season v-rated tires. The Lexus folks
wouldn't even consider it. The answer simply, "no, you would just have to buy snow tires."

Bob
1. Maybe it's because the cars sell quickly? I know my dealer is constantly sold out on the 350's.
2. NOT TRUE. Mine has the ML system
3. Again not true.
4. I don't think that's true either.

You should contact a different dealer... and/or special order (from another dealer)
Old 04-16-06, 12:49 PM
Langdell
Driver

I sympathize with the frustration because I (like many here) ran into these issues when purchasing my IS. (Long story short: 6-week wait, which otherwise would have been a 3-4-month wait for a special order without a lot of legwork on my part and traveling 200 miles to get my car from an out-of-town dealer's incoming allocation.) I think the basic explanation is that Lexus vastly "misunderestimated" the demand for the new IS and options like ML. Hopefully these problems will smooth out as supply catches up with demand, and future buyers won't have so much hassle. (In the meantime--now that I finally have my car--the scarcity makes it seem kinda special. )
Old 04-17-06, 01:44 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy
I got $2k off on my Smokey Granite Mica IS350 Sport with Nav, ML, and Park Assist and I special ordered the car.

Wow thats real interesting, I wonder how that got pulled off? Connections?

So what was the price out the door?
Old 04-17-06, 10:45 AM
DirtySouth
Rookie

I feel your pain. I've been waiting to see another 350 in Nebraska for a couple months now and there is finally one in today. This is also the first IS in Nebraska with Mark Levinson. So, I'm heading over there on my lunch break to have a listen and maybe take it for a spin. Unfortunately, they're still not willing to come off sticker a whole lot.

Oh, and they still don't plan to EVER have any IS350's with sport either....
Old 04-17-06, 04:19 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Bob:

I'm not impressed with the looks of the new G. I'll reserve final judgement until I actually see it in person and test drive it. I doubt that all potential IS350 owners jump ship to become G35 owners, leaving the Lexus lots with tons of IS350s though; I'm sure some will. Lexus quality and Infiniti quality PERCEPTIONS ... it is what it is.

In regards to your Lexus sales experience. It doesn't surprise me that your sales people were unknowledgable, even about their own product. It's the same way in MANY dealerships. Hopefully that doesn't stop you from getting the right vehicle for yourself.

This forum along with IS350.net, G35driver.com, and freshalloy.com will give you plenty of usable knowledge to help prepare you for your car purchasing decision.

Lastly,

I was having "veering to the right" problems with the IS as I did with my G35 (05 g35 Sedan 6MT). Lexus solution was to purchase (at Lexus expense) 2 camber kits and replace my stock tires with Bridgestone Potenza uni-directional tires (also at Lexus expense). This was after 3000 miles of usage on the old tires.

Infintiti's answer to the "veering to the right" problem was to tell me to live with it as it was a problem for all G35s....(I've talked with other G35 folks and they have similar experiences)

My experiences with Lexus, so far, have been mostly positive. ---Honda's a different story
Old 04-17-06, 07:03 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by t0e
Wow thats real interesting, I wonder how that got pulled off? Connections?

So what was the price out the door?
I forget with Tax and Tags and all that but the price of the car was mid-high $42
Old 04-17-06, 09:17 PM
blkIS350
Driver

Well, if I do ultimately choose to buy the IS350 I'll have to come down to Maryland and chat with your salesman about a "special order", because nobody up here knows a thing about the car. Or, there will be tons on IS350's on the lot in November and December when the new G sedan comes out.

I actually got $2685 off msrp plus they threw in Clearbra and Sirius + install when available. I special ordered my car and did not have any kind of trade-in to off-set the price off msrp. If your dealer is not giving you any deals that I would look to another dealer.
Old 04-17-06, 09:17 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

First, after discussing a few things about the IS350 with a representative from Lexus, I was told one known change for the [B]2007 IS350 is FINALLY, a control switch to disable the "Vehicle Dynamic Control" . I knew some of you guys out there had complaints about Lexus keeping the car too safe and locking out this feature, so I was sure you'd like to hear that!

Bob

okay so now tell us more about this?? Anything else he told ya??