IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HowTo: Hardwired Valentine 1 or other radar detectors (merged threads-read full post)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 11:48 AM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Tuxlex, I'm planning on doing this today or tomorrow, and your method seems like the most painless. One question though, after you installed the connection, where did you hide the excess wires and the little box that the V-1 hardwire kit comes with? thanks
Old 05-17-06, 11:51 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Kensteele's way is much better because there is no need to solder any wires together, just straight to the fuse.
Old 05-17-06, 12:02 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350S
Kensteele's way is much better because there is no need to solder any wires together, just straight to the fuse.
agreed but you can also use a wire tap to do the same without soldering
Old 05-17-06, 12:53 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nicelex13
hey Tuxlex, I'm planning on doing this today or tomorrow, and your method seems like the most painless. One question though, after you installed the connection, where did you hide the excess wires and the little box that the V-1 hardwire kit comes with? thanks
Not sure where Tuxlex went, I bet he doesn't check the forums as often as some of us addicts.

Anyway, the way Tuxlex installed his would technically not require the V1 hardwire kit at all. (You could use the cable from the kit if you wanted).

Basically it's just taking the cable that connects to the V1 and cutting it, then soldering the cable directly into the wire for the Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror /w Homelink and Compass.

As mentioned in my instructions, please be careful of dripping solder, our interiors are not very forgiving of hot molten metal.

-Brian
Old 05-17-06, 02:17 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

Yeah, was waiting for his reply, but I would like to do this today!!
Also, I'm not planning on soldering...but rather using wire taps to directly tap into the power and ground of the existing wires.
Also, from tuxlex's install, it looked like he used the red/black wires to wire...? not just the phonecord
Old 05-17-06, 02:31 PM
rys
Pole Position

I'm looking at his pictures, that's definitely regular telephone RJ11 cord that is stripped down to the red and green wires. (Phone cable uses red and green on the inside).

He must not have used a V1 cable because the official V1 cables actually are 4 conductor, and I only see 2 in the center. .) (V1 uses the other leads to communicate with the other devices like the remote display and audio relocation).

-Brian
Old 05-17-06, 02:36 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

ok so rys, basically i can just cut open the telephone wire and wire tap those 2 cords...are the v1 cords the same as regular lines i.e.-red and green, and just leave the other 2 wires unconnected?
Old 05-17-06, 02:51 PM
rys
Pole Position

Yes, the V1 cord is the same as a regular phone cord. Personally, I'd go red to + and green to -, but as Tuxlex posted, it does not matter. (V1 is polarity protected).

The yellow and black can remain unconnected, and you can cut them off if you are not using them.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Brian

P.S. I still recommend the hardwire kit in the overhead trick, especially if you are not very good at soldering. This is mostly good because you can crimp it to install it. -- Depending on the soldering iron, you should be aware that the solder can flow down from the tip, and around the heating element - sometimes in large quantity (especially when the soldering iron is angled where the tip is above the hand piece, such as when soldering an overhead connection).
Old 05-17-06, 03:34 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

I absolutly have no idea what kind of screw is in there? I have a screw kit with 30 bits and still no avail...
Old 05-17-06, 03:43 PM
rys
Pole Position

Torx 20 like someone said.. (Tuxlex?)

-Brian
Old 05-17-06, 03:47 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

yeah nevermind, im an idiot, i reread the post and found it...
however, i dont think there is enough room to put 2 wiretaps in there (t-taps/ guage)
plus, theres a black cover that fell off of the rearview mirror and im not sure how it goes back on
Old 05-17-06, 03:47 PM
rys
Pole Position

Personally, I bought a Spec Tools STK-4042 set (Available at Crutchfield, and also direct from Spec Tools). Best tool screwdriver set I've ever owned, and probably the last I'll ever have to buy.

-Brian
Old 05-17-06, 03:49 PM
rys
Pole Position

yeah nevermind, im an idiot, i reread the post and found it...
however, i dont think there is enough room to put 2 wiretaps in there (t-taps/ guage)
plus, theres a black cover that fell off of the rearview mirror and im not sure how it goes back on
The cover is a slide extension cover. First start by putting the mirror back on to the vehicle. Next place the cover on to the top of the mirror mount and slide it open.

Also there's a clip that should hold the wires to the rear view mirror. That should just snap in place.

-Brian

(edited for accuracy)
Old 05-17-06, 04:05 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

yup, the tool set i have has a t-20
too bad i have to go though the roof liner and install though moon roof conections now
Old 05-17-06, 04:08 PM
rys
Pole Position

yup, the tool set i have has a t-20
too bad i have to go though the roof liner and install though moon roof conections now
It's easy, see my write up on page 3

Let me know if you have any trouble! Good luck

-Brian

Quick Reply: HowTo: Hardwired Valentine 1 or other radar detectors (merged threads-read full post)