IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hit Object on Freeway

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 06:44 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that sucks... U should ask for some quotes and get that fix.
Old 03-29-06, 10:47 PM
kevp913
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCPiercy
If I were you I would keep it like that. It reminds me of those bullet-hole stickers that hillbillies put on their tailgate.
LOL that is exactly what I thought! It really does look like a sticker in the pic. Maybe I should just scratch up the whole side of the car to make it look like a gun metallic lightning bolt!
Old 03-29-06, 10:50 PM
kevp913
Rookie

Originally Posted by DrHenz
Hey Kev:

It's coming down cats and dogs right now! I live just off 5 and Del Mar Heights. Purposely kept my precious Isabella indoors tonight for just this reason (besides the fact that the main reason I was able to get her is that I wrecked my Accord during the last big storm 4 weeks ago).

I don't know if filing a report is going to get you anywhere - it might even be cheaper in the long run to suck it up and pay to have it fixed with your own hard-earned cash. Having insurance cover it may run up your premiums... blah blah blah. You know the drill. I'd get an estiimate and then talk with your insurance agent and find out if the claim would increase your rates. If the difference (including the deductible) favors having All Farmers Progresso pay for it, then go for it.

It still sucks, man. I can only imagine hearing that awful bang! as the debris tore into the car and having to wait 'til you got home, just dreading to look at the damage.

My condolences.

Dok Henz
I was just over this afternoon off Camino Del Mar @ PCH. Beautiful area and weather today! (arg)

Yah there was definitely a bang when it happened. I was just crossing my fingers that it was just a tire thump and that worse case scenario I would have to replace a tire and get an alignment. I just about cried when I saw the damage last night. My 4 month old baby! Molested by a manly SUV... so sad.
Old 03-29-06, 11:11 PM
kevp913
Rookie

So I got some updates. Thanks for all the support and sympathy. It's nice to know some people understand what I'm going through.

- Called the CHP today (thanks for the advice) and they were able to track down an incident report in their log. According to dispatch, it did not look like a b&w unit was dispatched to the scene, although a tow truck driver was sent and removed the car. So there are definitely some records there that can be investigated. Unfortunately, I cannot prove that it was debris from the accident or the car that was involved as I did not stop. (Stopping on a dark freeway at 10pm in pouring rain probably isn't the safest idea, especially since another car just lost control there). They also said I can come in to the office and file a report even though I did not stop.

- Called my insurance agent (State Farm) and talked to him about what is going on. He said that people have been able to win cases like this and recommends that I at least try. The insurance will investigate and see if they can file a claim against the other drivers policy. If not, then if I decide to still have State Farm pay for the repair, my rates *will* go up, not by a lot though.

- Then I took my baby to Caliber Collision. They estimated $815 to repair the car, and 4 days of downtime. I'm not sure what the worst part is, 800 bucks or a week driving around a crappy rental.

Lastly here is a picture that I took this morning (about 15 hours ago) of my baby in the morning... notice anything unusual?!? Caliber told me not to worry, it's only surface rust LOL.

Old 03-29-06, 11:24 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rust! Damn That Sucks

RUST, damn that sucks. Why does the paint fall off this car so easily? On my 3000, a hit like that wouldnt not have caused paint to chip off. The metal had to be gouged for paint to come off.

When my IS was hit, paint was chipping off too, I thought it was silver primer underneath, I guess not.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 03-29-06 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-29-06, 11:52 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

The metal looks pretty gouged to me
Old 03-30-06, 09:59 AM
Amber
Driver School Candidate

Good luck, Kev. sh@#! happens, unfortunately. 4 days to repair sounds like a lot.

Is that already rust setting in????? If so, that is strange on a new Lexus, no matter how deep the gouge.
Old 03-30-06, 12:04 PM
IS350_F1
Driver School Candidate

What exactly was it you hit and how did you manage to only get rear damage that high up? Was the debris bouncing (perhaps off the vehicle in front...? Obviously it was raining in all.... That truly sux man... I caught a sick feelin in the pit ... when I saw the soon after still wet pix... but the the dried one cause a really bad feeling --- I am sorry for ya, Dude.

Get your whip rebeautified... keep the photos as a grim reminder for those days when you feel the need to be grounded.

Keep your head up!!