IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS vs ES....Need Input

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 08:38 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS vs ES....Need Input

Help me out. I have a 98 ES that has been the most incredible car. Granted I have taken extremely good care of her....can we say ****? But it's time for a new car and there will be no decision on which manufacturer. I have been patiently waiting for the new ES, which is gorgeous IMHO. EXCEPT for the new panoramic sunroof. Hate it! Plus the fact it is a $2K option. Even leather is an option I believe. WTF?

Now, thanks to all the nice 2IS pics posted here I see how beautiful that car is. (Believe it or not I have not seen one around here....and I have been looking!) But my concern is the reduced cabin size. I do carry people to meetings at work at times. And the IS reguires premium gas which can add up over the many years I plan to own my next one. AND it's rear wheel drive. We do get nasty roads around here alot in the winter and front wheel drive is way better suited for that. (Yes, AWD is a consideration, but reduced mpg. ) I know the two are different animals, but has anyone else been in a similar situation.

I'm torn. What do you guys think?
Old 03-26-06, 08:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

For your purpose, I say go with the ES350, more room for your passengers & FWD is better for winter road conditions without going with AWD. Not as sporty & sharp looking as the IS250/350, but I like the new ES design too
Old 03-26-06, 08:46 AM
Aterrex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS the ES is a housewives car.

I quote my dealer

" The ES was made for single mothers with 2 kids who want a entry level LExus luxury sedan and enjoyable ride. "

" the IS was made for people in their 30's to early 40's who want a car that is agressive and handles well and was ment to can compete with 3 series BMW's"

DON't get an ES NEVER !!

It was not made for speed freaks.

Besides the IS rides like a lexus too in terms of feel excpet it handles like a race car.

Get the IS man don't get an ES unless you plan on picking up little timmy from soccer practice.

also im sur eyour clients / co workers wouldn't mind being squished in the back of an IS.
Old 03-26-06, 08:52 AM
FastGirl
Driver School Candidate

Maybe you should consider a GS instead. You get all of the room you need, it's available in AWD and it's much cooler than the ES.

If I had the extra money and time to wait it out before my car wears out then I would consider to buy then new GS coming out this fall. I have neither option though and I am going for the IS350.
Old 03-26-06, 09:01 AM
Macklin
Advanced

That's funny about the ES being a soccer mom car. I thought it was a blue hair car! At least that is what I get kidded about. Another reason I'm leaning towards the IS.

However, I do prefer a smooth ride over speed. I have a fast boat for that! But I bet the 2IS rides about as good as my ES. Correct?

Keep those comments coming!
Old 03-26-06, 09:03 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

I had a 98 ES 300 also. Then got an 2001 IS 300. I changed back to 2004 ES 330 and now have 2006 IS 350.

I've absolutely loved the IS's. The reason I traded in the IS 300 for the ES 330 was because of the expensive tires and premium vs. regular gas and the ES 330 was very luxurious and bigger. I have to say I was disappointed from day one in the ES 330. When you put your foot on the gas it hesitated and didn't go and didn't have the fun manuevering that the IS had. Also ES's are a dime a dozen around here. Everyone has one. I liked the uniqueness of my IS. I couldn't wait for the new IS's to come out and go back.

I have to say the new ES's look real nice. It all depends on what you are looking for in a car. If you are carrying a lot of passengers around I would go with the ES. The back seat in the IS is very cramped compared to the ES and the storage compartments had a lot more space in the ES. If gas prices are an issue, yes the ES still uses regular. I believe they've switched to the more expensive tires though. I also think you can get your fully equipped ES for a lot less money than the IS 350.

The driving, handling, look, and not seeing an IS everywhere I go are the reasons I went back to the IS.
Old 03-26-06, 09:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Haha, you already own a ' 98 ES , so I don't think you would be bothered by whatever the stereotypical image the ES might have. Just pick the car that suit your purpose the best, good luck with your decision

Obviously I haven't driven the new ES350 yet, but my bet is that it's going to ride more supple than the IS.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-26-06 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-26-06, 09:10 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by is4me2
Also ES's are a dime a dozen around here. Everyone has one. I liked the uniqueness of my IS.
THAT is my other main concern. I cannot believe I have not seen a 2IS on the highway. I don't think that will be the case with the 5ES in a few months.

It will be interesting to experience the performance difference betweens the IS250 and the ES350 though. Don't need an IS350 as I'm not a speed freek.....except on the water. It's legal there.
Old 03-26-06, 09:18 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

The new ES will have the same (though slightly detuned) motor as the IS so it very well may require premium fuel as well. This may be plasphmous in a Lexus forum, but if you need a car thats roomy, stylish, and can handle bad winter weather, I would also add the Infiniti M35x as a potential option if it is within your budget.
Old 03-26-06, 09:38 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Get the ES. Uppity passengers will not be comfy in the tight rear of the IS. If you can afford it, get the GS AWD. You get more bang for your buck in the ES. ANd if you dont like the panorama sunroof, dont get it :-p
Old 03-26-06, 09:38 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

If you don't care about the speed of the IS I really think you would enjoy the ES a great deal more. If you are worried about seeing a lot of ES's around, yes you will. All the old people down here drive them. To me the perfect solution for you would be a GS. That would be my choice. I couldn't go that route finance wise. I was looking at at least another $10,000 more for what I wanted. If you can afford it the GS gives you the performance and the room and the luxury, but it is going to cost you. There aren't a lot of GS's around on the roads either.
Old 03-26-06, 09:49 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

There is a significant loss in rear passenger room both from legroom and shoulder room. The ES has mid-to-full size rear passenger room, the IS has compact rear passenger room. I can't see putting more than two full size adults in the rear seat, although I have had 3 tiny adults in the rear, but it was not comfortable for more than a 15 min ride, especially for the center passenger.

With the sportier suspension, you will find a much more firmer ride. Its no way as silky smooth as the ES, but has very minimal body roll and extremely composed and stable feel at 100+ mph speeds. The current ES didn't feel that composed past the 90+ mph range. I would recommend you try your best to wait for the new ES350. Its got ample horsepower and will probably be more composed that the current ES.

It all depends on what you need and what moves your soul. The IS is not a practical car if you'regoing to have passengers in the rear all the time and want a high-level of passenger comfort. The IS is a sports sedan, the ES is a luxury sedan.

The compromise is the GS, but that's $10k more... ES-like passenger room with IS-like sportiness. Good luck!
Old 03-26-06, 10:08 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aterrex
IS the ES is a housewives car.

I quote my dealer

" The ES was made for single mothers with 2 kids who want a entry level LExus luxury sedan and enjoyable ride. "

" the IS was made for people in their 30's to early 40's who want a car that is agressive and handles well and was ment to can compete with 3 series BMW's"

DON't get an ES NEVER !!

It was not made for speed freaks.

Besides the IS rides like a lexus too in terms of feel excpet it handles like a race car.

Get the IS man don't get an ES unless you plan on picking up little timmy from soccer practice.

also im sur eyour clients / co workers wouldn't mind being squished in the back of an IS.
isn't the IS the entry level lexus?
Old 03-26-06, 10:21 AM
Macklin
Advanced

IS250 with the options I want about $35K. I'm guessing similarly equipped ES350 close to or over $40K. What's the GS....$50K? Don't want to go there; although they are sweet. It's a barrier I don't want to break for a car. At least not now.

Does anyone know for sure if the ES350 will require premium gas? I know, if you can afford the car you can afford the gas, but I have twin big blocks to feed on weekends.
Old 03-26-06, 10:26 AM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by linh811
isn't the IS the entry level lexus?
Lexus considers both the IS and the ES "entry level." Basically, Lexus follows a 2-pronged approach, making one entry-level car that is more sport/performance oriented and another that is more space/comfort oriented. They are priced about the same but targeted to different markets. (Though the new IS is also plenty comfortable if you don't need the extra passenger space that the ES provides.)

Quick Reply: IS vs ES....Need Input