IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sport Pedal Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 06:35 AM
teracon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sport Pedal Install

Has anyone installed the OEM sport pedal on the non-Sport IS? I attempted to last weekend and noticed that a pin holds the stock accelerator to the rod. I was informed that a "punch" could be used. Since I am not "Tim the toolman", I am not familiar with what a "punch" is or even if the pin can be reused. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, it was easier taking the pedal out of the housing by removing the (4) screws an removing the spring in inside the housing vs. removing the bolts holding the pedal housing to the floorboard.
Old 03-22-06, 07:15 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I ran into the same issue when trying to install the sport pedals on my Lux IS350. You have to remove the entire pedal assembly and basically hammer the pin out. I wasn't about to do that myself so I took it to my dealer and they confirmed they had to remove the assembly to do it and it would cost $175. I had already bought the pedals so I told them to go ahead and do it.
Old 03-22-06, 07:56 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Yeah you have to hammer the pin out...you have to take the gas pedal assembly out of the car...put it on a vise...real tight...and hammer the pin out...and u can re-use that pin...and putting the pin back in is easy...just get some pliers and force it back in...

Good luck
Old 03-22-06, 08:30 AM
teracon
Driver

Hey, thanks. I will give it a try this weekend...
Old 03-22-06, 08:53 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ramon
I ran into the same issue when trying to install the sport pedals on my Lux IS350. You have to remove the entire pedal assembly and basically hammer the pin out. I wasn't about to do that myself so I took it to my dealer and they confirmed they had to remove the assembly to do it and it would cost $175. I had already bought the pedals so I told them to go ahead and do it.
DAMN! $175 to install pedals? Yesh...
Old 03-22-06, 09:00 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

if you can't install pedals you deserve to have a buck or so removed from your wallet. now if you dont have a garage to work with thats adifferent
Old 03-22-06, 09:30 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
if you can't install pedals you deserve to have a buck or so removed from your wallet. now if you dont have a garage to work with thats adifferent
its not as simple as popping it over the old pedal.

here's a diagram to remove the gas pedal assy.

Old 03-22-06, 11:11 AM
teracon
Driver

I found it easier to remove the (4) screws holding the pedal cover on (side). Once you take them out and pop off the cover, you then have to remove the pressure spring.

With the angle of the screws (where the big L is), it is not easy to get to due to the tight clearance.

It took all of (5) minutes to remove the pedal.
Old 03-22-06, 01:08 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by teracon
I found it easier to remove the (4) screws holding the pedal cover on (side). Once you take them out and pop off the cover, you then have to remove the pressure spring.

With the angle of the screws (where the big L is), it is not easy to get to due to the tight clearance.

It took all of (5) minutes to remove the pedal.
so you've already done this?
Old 03-22-06, 01:59 PM
teracon
Driver

I did not have the "punch" needed to remove the pin. I was forced to put the pedal back on. I plan on purchasing a "punch" this week and put the pedal on this weekend.
Old 03-22-06, 03:30 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by teracon
I did not have the "punch" needed to remove the pin. I was forced to put the pedal back on. I plan on purchasing a "punch" this week and put the pedal on this weekend.
I'm pretty sure a blunted nail will work.
Old 04-12-06, 07:08 PM
250awd?
Driver School Candidate

Two questions:
(1)I share Teracon sentiment regarding "I am not TIm the Toolman" (in post#1). The four screws holding the (side) cover (Teracon post#8) on are NOT allen type nor phillips type; it is some proprietary screw. Teracon, did you just use a flat head screwdriver? I guess I just do not have a small enough flathead screwdriver.

I bought the three pedal from Darrell of Sewell Lexus (Dallas, TX). He was very polite and referred me to the lexus-parts.com website with the above diagram shown in this thread. He told me his service dept tech recommend removal of the two screws that holds the assembly to the flat plastic part that has the "L" on it.
From there it does take hammer and punch to get pin out.

**The problem I have is I cannot get to the upper right hex bolt (see the diagram).
(2)anyone able to remove the pedal assembly as suggest by Darrell of Sewell Lexus? To increase workspace I even removed the plastic panel just under the knee airbag and still this only gave me about 4 inch room to get to this right upper hex bolt. Maybe my hands are just too big?!

Last edited by 250awd?; 04-12-06 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-13-06, 06:23 AM
teracon
Driver

The screw holding the plastic cover in place is like a "hex" nut type. I do not recall the actual size, but my cheap tool kit had it in place. I found that by doing it this way alleviated my having to try and remove the Phillips screw that is at the far top right (holding the pedal into the floor).

Oh, I did have to take off the plastic top to better access the pedals. You will only have to pop out the snap-in light assembly for the footwell lights.

Once you take off the plastic side pedals assembly (2-3 "Hex" screws/bolts), you will see a small spring that is used to apply the appropriate back release. You can then slip the pedal off. There is also a small plastic mini-lever that is used to keep the pedal in it's proper position. From there, you can pound the pin out. I have not had the time to go back into it, but I will do so very soon. It sucks having (2) sport pedals with the standard accelerator pedal installed.
Old 04-14-06, 02:14 AM
storm
Rookie

I also followed the method used by teracon. Getting to the screws that hold the pedal assembly to the firewall looked really difficult. As you've probably noticed, there isn't much room there at all.

To remove the plastic cover, you'll need a Torx type screwdriver I believe. I had the correct size in my toolkit. I believe there were 4 screws. You can then remove the pedal, but as teracon noted, there is a round piece that holds the pedal in position, along with the double-spring (smaller spring inside of larger spring). Nothing fancy holding the spring in place. It took me a little while to get it all back togehter, but wasn't difficult. Mostly things took longer than expected due to the lack of room.

The part that took the longest was hammering out the pin holding the pedal. I didn't have a punch, but used a small hex/allen key that appeared to do the trick. It kept slipping when I put in in the vise, but I had someone hold it, and we managed to get the pin out.

It was a royal pain to do all of the above for the accelerator, but IMO the OEM aluminum pedals are a very nice touch.
Old 04-14-06, 05:36 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have to try that method as well. I wish it was as easy to install as the dead pedal and break pedals were.

Quick Reply: Sport Pedal Install