IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sports Package - Y/N???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 09:40 AM
sbkim
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports Package - Y/N???

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I am seriously debating whether to get the sports or luxury package. I test drove the luxury package and I thought ride was stiff as is. I am concerned that Sports might be too jarring/stiff? I would greatly appreciate any feedback from current owners of both as to why you choose luxury or sports.

Also, I presume the sports sits little lower than the luxury? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-06, 09:54 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

jesus the 350 is not supposed to be a floating boat like the ls gs and such. its supposed to be firm its a sports car you're supposed to feel connected to the road. the sports package will enhance this with a lowere suspension.

the rides will close but somewhat different. if you plan on putting aftermarket shock on ur car ur gonna get the sports effect so u need to decide if you want more than .5" drop and go from there
Old 03-17-06, 10:34 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, if you think a regular equipped IS is already stiff. I must ask you a question. Is a Sports Sedan exactly what you want?

Quite frankly, I don't think the new IS performs as well as the old IS300, as in road feel, steering, and handling. BUT the Sports package really makes up for it. I think the regular suspension is very lack luster for a Sports Sedan.

Sports Package sits 1/2 lower, and is a LITTLE bit stiffer. But handles much better!

I suggest Luxury Package. Or maybe another vehicle? GS?
Old 03-17-06, 11:43 AM
deuce2
Rookie

i got the sport...it sits a lil lower so it looks better...plus i didn't wanna fool with aftermarket stuff...also hated the wood in the luxury...sport has a nice "metallic" finish.
Old 03-17-06, 11:49 AM
sbkim
Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys. The metalic accent is def a nice touch and I would prefer over the wood trim. I am def not complaining about harsh ride - I actually prefer that over soft ride. But, I also don't want something that is jarring. I have a modified Viper GTS with Eibachs so it will take ALOT to make me feel like it's too harsh or too fast.

The key here is 1) make sure the ride is bearable - and I bet it is and won't be too diff from Luxury 2) do not want wood trim 3) lower stance 4) cabin noise is equally quiet in both trims

Thanks again

Last edited by sbkim; 03-17-06 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-17-06, 12:00 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

I personally got the luxury package. When the Tein coilovers come out it will be way better than the OEM sports package would be. So I'll have sport and luxury.

I dont care about a ride that is too stiff. I've come from 2 S2000's and a Audi S4 slammed with bilstein PSS9 coilovers and H&R sway bars. I dont think I can do anything to this lexus to make it as stiff as my previous cars.
Old 03-17-06, 12:14 PM
sbkim
Rookie

yellowssm - I bet your IS rides like a buick relative to other cars! I am NOT planning to do any mods OTHER than 19" wheels/tires for summer so Sports seems like the way to go... On a side note, what's up with 15mpg?!?! *****, that's right where my Jeep Cherokee SRT8 is...
Old 03-17-06, 12:14 PM
Vmdc
Driver School Candidate

You best thing to do is find a dealer that has the Sport Package. I test drove the Lux and thought it was firm. Of course, the dealer tried to sway me to pick up the Lux because he didn't have a Sports on the lot. I found a dealer with the Sport package and loved it. So if I were you, find someone with the sports package!
Old 03-17-06, 12:17 PM
sbkim
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vmdc
You best thing to do is find a dealer that has the Sport Package. I test drove the Lux and thought it was firm. Of course, the dealer tried to sway me to pick up the Lux because he didn't have a Sports on the lot. I found a dealer with the Sport package and loved it. So if I were you, find someone with the sports package!
VMDC - bingo... that's exactly what my dealer is tryig to do. They can't seem to locate a sports so they are pushing me to Luxury pkg
Old 03-17-06, 12:25 PM
deuce2
Rookie

and u get aluminum pedals with the sport package...other people have been buying them and putting them on, but i'm too lazy for that..i like to have things included...less hassle....only thing different that i like about the luxury are the illuminated door sills..u can buy those and put them on too...but i can live without them...don't want to have to cut all kinda wires just for that.
Old 03-17-06, 12:40 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sbkim
yellowssm - I bet your IS rides like a buick relative to other cars! I am NOT planning to do any mods OTHER than 19" wheels/tires for summer so Sports seems like the way to go... On a side note, what's up with 15mpg?!?! *****, that's right where my Jeep Cherokee SRT8 is...
I drive my car like I stole everyday, all the time,with the ect power on,disabaling the traction control everytime I jump in, and I do 90% city driving, hardly and freeway. My car only has 1100 miles on it and people say it gets better with time. I hope so especially seeing some of these post that ask how many mpg you get, some people get in the 20's. Still better than than my S4 at 11.8mpg
Old 03-17-06, 12:40 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I am seriously debating whether to get the sports or luxury package. I test drove the luxury package and I thought ride was stiff as is. I am concerned that Sports might be too jarring/stiff? I would greatly appreciate any feedback from current owners of both as to why you choose luxury or sports.

Also, I presume the sports sits little lower than the luxury? Thanks in advance!
IMO, I would rather go with the luxury/stock suspension. I test drove the car with both suspensions, and after coming from 2,700lb and 2,300lb sports cars, there is just no way the 2IS at a near 3,500 lbs w/ its many electronic assists could ever provide the same feel. As such, I came to the conclusion that I'd let it fall into the category where its better suited, and just let it be a luxury car with a good bit of passing power and VERY nice styling. Give me the bells and whistles, and just enjoy something more practical.

I say test drive the sport, but most likely if you think the stock suspension is too stiff, then you won't care too much for the sport. Your tire size/sidewall will also have an effect on the feel. Go see for yourself.
Old 03-17-06, 12:50 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

you also get the electronically tilting steering wheel w/ sport i believe
Old 03-17-06, 12:58 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

If you thought the standard suspension is stiff, you probably want to steer clear of the sports suspension.
Old 03-17-06, 01:00 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dfw350
you also get the electronically tilting steering wheel w/ sport i believe
You get it on both Sport & Luxury Packages.

sbkim, didn't know you meant it that way. I say SPORT then!

Quick Reply: Sports Package - Y/N???