IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

what would cause my interior lights to stop working??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 03:36 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question what would cause my interior lights to stop working??

got in my car last night..and my interior map lights and dome light were not working..the only thing i've had done on my car reently is the tint and having my drivers side drl bulb changed...i dont know what wouldve caused the lights to stop working..anybody have any ideas??
Old 03-17-06, 03:40 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They shopped working as in, you open the door and they don't turn on? Or you're playing with the switch and they don't do anything?

I'd say make sure the switch is set so that the lights go on when the doors are open, and failing that, check the fuses.
Old 03-17-06, 07:45 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Originally Posted by mcfly
They shopped working as in, you open the door and they don't turn on? Or you're playing with the switch and they don't do anything?

I'd say make sure the switch is set so that the lights go on when the doors are open, and failing that, check the fuses.
nope..dont come on with the doors..dont come on when i press the button and the back dome light isnt working either..and also the front and back map lights arent working ...i'm going to have my detailer look at the fuses tomorrow..and see if i blew one..but isnt this kind of quick to blow a fuse? i've only had the car for 3 months
Old 03-17-06, 08:00 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
nope..dont come on with the doors..dont come on when i press the button and the back dome light isnt working either..and also the front and back map lights arent working ...i'm going to have my detailer look at the fuses tomorrow..and see if i blew one..but isnt this kind of quick to blow a fuse? i've only had the car for 3 months
Fuses don't blow over time. They blow because of a circuit overload... they're there to protect your wiring and the stuff that lives behind it.

Do I recall that you installed lighted door sills, and that your installer had to do some wiring? That's a likely culprit.
Old 03-17-06, 08:23 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Fuses don't blow over time. They blow because of a circuit overload... they're there to protect your wiring and the stuff that lives behind it.

Do I recall that you installed lighted door sills, and that your installer had to do some wiring? That's a likely culprit.
yes i did, but they tapped into the footwell lighting (i think becuase they seem to be on all the time)
Old 03-17-06, 08:27 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

yes i did, but they tapped into the footwell lighting (i think becuase they seem to be on all the time)
But they might be on the same circuit. Do the sills still work?

If they do, then it's possible there's a short elsewhere resulting from the install (or something else entirely). Checking the fuses should take about 5 minutes.
Old 03-17-06, 08:32 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup youll find 90% of the time your problems come from somthing you installed weather it be aftermarket parts or not.
Old 03-17-06, 08:36 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

But they might be on the same circuit. Do the sills still work?

If they do, then it's possible there's a short elsewhere resulting from the install (or something else entirely). Checking the fuses should take about 5 minutes.
i'll go check my sill in a little while (im at work)..so if it is a fuse and i replace that fuse..do you think it will short again right away?
Old 03-17-06, 08:44 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

just checked..my sills are not working either..what else do you think would be on the same circuit? i'll have to check if my footwell lighting is working later

Last edited by CaThaFeR; 03-17-06 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-17-06, 09:00 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

i'll go check my sill in a little while (im at work)..so if it is a fuse and i replace that fuse..do you think it will short again right away?
If it blew once it'll likely blow again. My guess is that circuit has a 5 or 10amp fuse in it, and the door sills draw too much power. The fuse blows to protect things from melting.

Whatever you do, DON'T put a higher rated fuse in, you'll end up with a lot of smoke and melted parts, if not worse. I'd say try replacing the fuse and see if it happens again. If so, time to move those sills onto another circuit.
Old 03-17-06, 09:40 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

If it blew once it'll likely blow again. My guess is that circuit has a 5 or 10amp fuse in it, and the door sills draw too much power. The fuse blows to protect things from melting.

Whatever you do, DON'T put a higher rated fuse in, you'll end up with a lot of smoke and melted parts, if not worse. I'd say try replacing the fuse and see if it happens again. If so, time to move those sills onto another circuit.
ok thanks for the advice..the footwell lighting isnt working either..i will have my guy look at the fuses and replace it if its blown with the same kind and see what happens.. its weird that all of a sudden it blew because i've had my doorsills in for over a month..maybe because i had my windows tinted yesterday and the doors were open for a long time and everything was on?
Old 03-17-06, 09:40 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

ok thanks for the advice..the footwell lighting isnt working either..i will have my guy look at the fuses and replace it if its blown with the same kind and see what happens.. its weird that all of a sudden it blew because i've had my doorsills in for over a month..maybe because i had my windows tinted yesterday and the doors were open for a long time and everything was on?
Could be. You might want to stretch your skills a little and try replacing the fuse on your own
Old 03-17-06, 09:54 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Could be. You might want to stretch your skills a little and try replacing the fuse on your own
hm, maybe i will..just need to figure out where the fuse box is i did change my own drls..well one of them

what does the fuse look like if its blown?
Old 03-17-06, 09:59 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

hm, maybe i will..just need to figure out where the fuse box is i did change my own drls..well one of them

what does the fuse look like if its blown?
Remove the fuse. There should either be a small plastic tool in the fuse box that will help you get them out, or you can use needle nose pliers if you're careful.

Hold it up to the light. There's a piece of metal in the plastic that travels in an arc (will be obvious when you're looking at it). If the metal is broken (if it is, it's easy to spot), you've found your blown fuse. The fuse box should also be labelled with a general description of what's on each circuit, along with the location of any spares.
Old 03-17-06, 10:01 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Remove the fuse. There should either be a small plastic tool in the fuse box that will help you get them out, or you can use needle nose pliers if you're careful.

Hold it up to the light. There's a piece of metal in the plastic that travels in an arc (will be obvious when you're looking at it). If the metal is broken (if it is, it's easy to spot), you've found your blown fuse. The fuse box should also be labelled with a general description of what's on each circuit.
okie dokie..if i'm home before its dark out i'll check it out...do you think there are a couple of xtra fuses in there? i know in my first car there were some extra ones..and also..do you know where the fuse box is? i havent checked my manual yet

and thanks again you've been very helpful

Quick Reply: what would cause my interior lights to stop working??