IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Shifting Question?????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 09:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Wid IS350
You've driven the new M5? It DOES do that, especially in full power mode.
m5? m5 comes in auto?

i hope you do realize that your e60 m5 doesn't have an auto, it has smg.... you need to do more homework before telling people you got an auto m5. just because you don't see a physical clutch doesn't make it automatic.
Old 03-17-06, 09:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
m5? m5 comes in auto?

i hope you do realize that your e60 m5 doesn't have an auto, it has smg.... you need to do more homework before telling people you got an auto m5. just because you don't see a physical clutch doesn't make it automatic.
lol. An automatic M5. Uhh, no, its SMG, 7 speeds.

Old 03-17-06, 10:40 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol. An automatic M5. Uhh, no, its SMG, 7 speeds.
it's got MANY shifting modes, I've played with at least 5 of them - one of them being AUTOMATIC MODE.
Old 03-17-06, 10:44 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

m5? m5 comes in auto?

Here you go, boss... the "D" mode is what I'm referring to:

Thanks to the SMG's drivelogic function, the driver can choose from eleven gear change options, which enable them to adapt the SMG's characteristics to their very own style of motoring.

Six of these programs can be pre-selected in the sequential manual gearbox mode (S mode), the spectrum ranges from balanced dynamic to very sporty. With the gearbox in the S mode, the driver always shifts gears manually. Whenever the driver activates the Launch Control function, the SMG Drivelogic shifts gears shortly before the maximum engine speed is reached at precisely the right moment and with optimum slip until the M5 reaches its top speed.

In the D (Drive) automatic gearshift mode, the transmission shifts the seven gears automatically, depending on the program selected, the driving situation, the road speed and the position of the accelerator pedal.
Old 03-17-06, 10:45 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

it's got MANY shifting modes, I've played with at least 5 of them - one of them being AUTOMATIC MODE.
Wid - Maybe you should let your wife drive the IS and you should commandeer the M5 to gain more familiarity with the many customizable settings?
Old 03-17-06, 10:50 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Foxberry
Wid - Maybe you should let your wife drive the IS and you should commandeer the M5 to gain more familiarity with the many customizable settings?
She's not allowed to drive it anymore - she already got 2 tickets and a scratch on the bumper. In egtting detailed now, and I plan to play with it much more in the summer!

She's using the SRT8, but that may be getting replaced by a Cayenne soon.
Old 03-17-06, 02:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you don't get it still, do you? the m5 does NOT have an automatic transmission. smg is a full manual transmission where a computer is doing all the shifting for you, including engaging and disengaging the clutch, together with blipping the throttle when down shifting. it's NOT an automatic and it should NOT, and NEVER, be put side to side with any automatic trasmission. its technology is far more advanced, and it's apple to orange.... get it?

just coz' the "D" says "automatic" in the manual (that's the user manual btw) doesn't make the car an automatic transmission. the car has only ONE transmission, and it's a manual system. and even in this "automatic" mode, the computer is still doing a lot of calculations in the back and holding the gears in the MANUAL transmission.

you want to compare? get a 550 automatic or a 330 automatic, then we are talking. coz' that's REAL automatic transmissions inside those cars.

Last edited by rominl; 03-17-06 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-20-06, 12:15 PM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

you don't get it still, do you? the m5 does NOT have an automatic transmission. smg is a full manual transmission where a computer is doing all the shifting for you, including engaging and disengaging the clutch, together with blipping the throttle when down shifting. it's NOT an automatic and it should NOT, and NEVER, be put side to side with any automatic trasmission. its technology is far more advanced, and it's apple to orange.... get it?

just coz' the "D" says "automatic" in the manual (that's the user manual btw) doesn't make the car an automatic transmission. the car has only ONE transmission, and it's a manual system. and even in this "automatic" mode, the computer is still doing a lot of calculations in the back and holding the gears in the MANUAL transmission.

you want to compare? get a 550 automatic or a 330 automatic, then we are talking. coz' that's REAL automatic transmissions inside those cars.
Had a 330 automatic, and it performed much better in sport mode than the IS at holding lower gears to maintain higher rev range. How you like those apples?
Old 03-20-06, 12:34 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

nm... not worth the effort

Last edited by mcfly; 03-20-06 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-20-06, 02:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mcfly
nm... not worth the effort
same here, not worth my effort as well.

"it performed much better in sport mode than the IS at holding lower gears to maintain higher rev range" doesn't mean it downshifts to certain gear before you get into turns and hold 5000rpm, in fact it won't. when was the last time you go from 60 to zero and you see the rpm jumps higher and higher to 5000rpm?

you clearly have no idea what we are talking about, considering that you don't even know you have manual tranny in your m5

i am done with this thread, won't spend more of my time here
Old 03-20-06, 02:29 PM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

same here, not worth my effort as well.

"it performed much better in sport mode than the IS at holding lower gears to maintain higher rev range" doesn't mean it downshifts to certain gear before you get into turns and hold 5000rpm, in fact it won't. when was the last time you go from 60 to zero and you see the rpm jumps higher and higher to 5000rpm?

you clearly have no idea what we are talking about, considering that you don't even know you have manual tranny in your m5

i am done with this thread, won't spend more of my time here
Thanks Romini.

In the end, I'm a multi-millionare with a brand spanking new M5, who doesn't know he has a manual transmission.

And you're a silly moderator for an online forum that dreams of my SMG.

I win.
Old 03-20-06, 02:54 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Thanks Romini.

In the end, I'm a multi-millionare with a brand spanking new M5, who doesn't know he has a manual transmission.

And you're a silly moderator for an online forum that dreams of my SMG.

I win.
You also forgot to mention your obvious modesty.

Insult another moderator on ClubLexus and you can take your multi-millions and buy your own forum.