IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Installation of XM Radio Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-06, 06:36 AM
Goldglv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installation of XM Radio Kit

I just installed the XM Radio kit this weekend, I wanted to pass along some info. I'm sure a lot of people have installed it themselves already but for those of you who want to try and save a little bit of money, installing it wasn't that difficult at all. One of the toughest parts of it was getting the plugs out of the amplifier, it's just located in a weird spot, it's hard to get your hand back there. I put the antenna on the rear deck right next to the 3rd brake light (thanks to Foxberry), it was a little tough getting the connector through into the trunk but I eventually got it done. Reception is fine, everything else looks good. So like I said, anyone looking to save a few bucks on installation should think about installing it on their own. This is the first thing I've installed on/in my car myself and it wasn't too difficult.
Old 03-13-06, 09:49 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the post. I wish i can see this post with Sirius insted of XM. Anyone have any info on Sirius like when its going to come out?
Old 03-13-06, 04:11 PM
zevious
Driver School Candidate

Did someone say Sirius would be available? The last I heard, Lexus had an exclusive deal with XM..

Personally, I'd like a unit with both.
Old 03-13-06, 04:47 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sirius is rumpored to be available in April. You can pre order at lexus-parts.com

Goldglv: can you post pictures of the nav screen with XM.
Old 03-13-06, 05:56 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tonyxcom
Sirius is rumpored to be available in April. You can pre order at lexus-parts.com
I just got an email back from lexus-parts and this is what they say in regards to my question of when will sirius be out.
"You have a very good question. The quick short answer is, I don't know.
Lexus initially stated late February, but they've obviously missed the
release date. At this time, no dates are available but I can assure you
we'll have the information updated on the website once it becomes
available."
Old 03-13-06, 06:50 PM
Aterrex
Driver

I talked to my dealer today about sirius and it is avaiable with a pricy tag of around $2000 USD. Takes about 3 hrs to install he said. I think ill be going to sirius they have howard stern and alot of techno stations.
Old 03-13-06, 07:12 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Question for you--when you are listening to satellite radio, do the steering wheel controls allow you to change channels? My XM was dealer installed and I noticed steering controls only allow me to change channels on AM/FM, not sat. However, the volume controls still work.
Old 03-13-06, 08:07 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aterrex
I talked to my dealer today about sirius and it is avaiable with a pricy tag of around $2000 USD. Takes about 3 hrs to install he said. I think ill be going to sirius they have howard stern and alot of techno stations.
if your dealer charges $500 per hour for labor that install better come with a happy ending or two.
Old 03-13-06, 09:15 PM
Goldglv
Driver

TonyX,
I will try and take some pics tomorrow and post them for you.

life,
My steering wheel control DOES change the XM channels, just cycles through my presets like FM does. Yours doesn't do that? Where in NJ are you from? Which dealer did you get it installed at? How much did they charge?

I'm not sure if you guys know or not but you can actually set the base and treble at different levels for FM and SAT. I didn't know that, my TL was not like that, just kind of found it by accident.
Old 03-13-06, 10:31 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

2000.00 LOL. You do know most dealers charge 595.00 and some as much of 795.00. But the kit costs 299.00 and takes 30min to install your self. As simple as plugging in some connectors and hooking up an antenna. It all plugging into the harness in the trunk.
Old 03-15-06, 07:03 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Goldglv
TonyX,
I will try and take some pics tomorrow and post them for you.

life,
My steering wheel control DOES change the XM channels, just cycles through my presets like FM does. Yours doesn't do that? Where in NJ are you from? Which dealer did you get it installed at? How much did they charge?

I'm not sure if you guys know or not but you can actually set the base and treble at different levels for FM and SAT. I didn't know that, my TL was not like that, just kind of found it by accident.
I purchased the car from a dealer in Pa. They charged $600 for the XM. One other question, when you are in Satellite 3 menu, can you assign the presets to a satellite channel? I can only do that on Sat 1 and Sat 2.
Old 03-16-06, 11:36 AM
Goldglv
Driver

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
I purchased the car from a dealer in Pa. They charged $600 for the XM. One other question, when you are in Satellite 3 menu, can you assign the presets to a satellite channel? I can only do that on Sat 1 and Sat 2.
I just looked at this now, yes, I can assign presets to SAT 1,2 and 3. I would call your dealer and explain what the problem is, it shouldn't be like that.
Old 03-16-06, 12:15 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Damn.... still no word on the sirius kit yet?
Old 03-16-06, 12:21 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

That's a lot! Perhaps it costs that much because it's a Lexus? I know that I got Sirius for free (just by asking for it as an after-thought) when I bought my `05.5 A4 last summer. When I asked them how much it would have cost (parts and install) otherwise, they told me about $200. Oh, and they threw in 9 months free subscription too. Just so you know that I'm not putting Lexus down, my other two cars are an `04 SC430 and an `04 GX470.
Old 03-16-06, 02:52 PM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Question for you--when you are listening to satellite radio, do the steering wheel controls allow you to change channels? My XM was dealer installed and I noticed steering controls only allow me to change channels on AM/FM, not sat. However, the volume controls still work.
The steering wheel controls allow me to rotate through my XM presets.

Quick Reply: Installation of XM Radio Kit