IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mercedes-Benz's answer to IS350

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-06, 04:46 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why so many people keep complaining about the reliability of Benz's. BMW's are a different story but not Benz's (and even with BMWs I THINK it's mainly stupid issues like windows not working). Sure Benzs are overpriced and aren't all that but they sure aren't as unreliable as most people think. My mom's 2003 CLK500 has had ONE problem so far (car was running fine but the speedometer wouldn't work but it was just a lose wiring issue) and my dad's 2001 S500 has had ONE engine problem and that was due to his lack of knowledge in maintaining his car (he doesn't bring his car in on time for oil changes, 15k checkups, etc) so the problem with the S500 wasn't really the car's fault.... it was my dad's fault. Most of the people I know who own Benz's don't really complain about any major problems or anything frequent. You have to keep in mind that Benz's built 10 years ago might've had reliability issues to the extent that most of you complain about but now it's not as bad or to the point where you have to worry about things like "OMG I have to miss a day's work or waste my Saturday getting my car fixed." You have BMW for that. I think I read somewhere that the E-Class had BAD reliability but that's just one model and whenever I'm on the freeway I don't see one on the side with it's blinkers on. Maybe I'm just not seeing them but even if it happens they sure get a tow truck quickly and out of MY sight. I mean I would obviously pick a Lexus if I had to go on a long trip and didn't want my car breaking down on me but the point is that Benz's aren't that bad anymore. They aren't close to Lexus in reliability but they don't break down as often as many people think.

Oh yea, one major point. A lot of people who own Benz's are usually rich and most don't even know that they have to do oil changes and regular maintenance. COULD that be why there are more "problems" with Benzs? I think that forgetting to do a minor maintenance or checkup on a Corolla would have a less damaging effect than on a SL55 or something (I'm not saying it means nothing at all on a Corolla just that it probably matters MORE on a Benz). Iono about other people but I would be more worried about forgetting to do a 30k mile maintenance on a SL55 than a Corolla. Benz and other over-priced luxury cars probably require more regular maintenance. I mean no matter what brand or car you drive there are plenty of idiots out there who don't know what an oil change is BUT this problem would probably make more trouble for Benzs, BMWs, Ferraris, etc. Let's just say Toyota and Lexus are more idiot proof than Benzs thus lowering the "problems" reported to people who do these studies.

Last edited by RshaoKh; 03-13-06 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-13-06, 06:14 PM
Langdell
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
I don't know why so many people keep complaining about the reliability of Benz's. BMW's are a different story but not Benz's (and even with BMWs I THINK it's mainly stupid issues like windows not working). Sure Benzs are overpriced and aren't all that but they sure aren't as unreliable as most people think. . . . . Benz's aren't that bad anymore. They aren't close to Lexus in reliability but they don't break down as often as many people think.
Actually, as of 10 years or so ago, MB was known for reliability and quality. It is in recent years that MB's ratings in the various reliability studies have plummeted. Their official line is that they recognize the problem and are working on turning it around. I hope they do, but I would want to see at least a couple of years of a return to reliability before I would consider sinking my transportation dollars into one. Many people probably get lucky and don't have problems with a Benz--just as some Lexus owners probably get unlucky. Best you can do is play the odds.

In my case, I only went shopping for a new car because my old car started spending too much time in the shop. So it was natural that I gravitated to Lexus as the luxury brand with the best proven track record of consistent reliability. And when I caught wind of the sexy new IS, it was all over.
Old 03-13-06, 06:34 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Langdell
Actually, as of 10 years or so ago, MB was known for reliability and quality. It is in recent years that MB's ratings in the various reliability studies have plummeted. Their official line is that they recognize the problem and are working on turning it around. I hope they do, but I would want to see at least a couple of years of a return to reliability before I would consider sinking my transportation dollars into one. Many people probably get lucky and don't have problems with a Benz--just as some Lexus owners probably get unlucky. Best you can do is play the odds.

In my case, I only went shopping for a new car because my old car started spending too much time in the shop. So it was natural that I gravitated to Lexus as the luxury brand with the best proven track record of consistent reliability. And when I caught wind of the sexy new IS, it was all over.
If "most people get lucky" maybe we should think of it like "some people get unlucky and get bad Benzs." Of course Benz is still far from Lexus in terms of reliability but Lexus has so few problems that any other number would still be a huge gap. The point is, a Benz will not die or fail as often or anywhere near what people exaggerate or think. Of course I do agree with you that we would all rathter put our money into something more reliable but that doesn't give people who drive a Lexus the right to bash on Benzs and say that their reliability is "horrible." My arguement isn't that we should all put our money into a new Benz.... it's that Benzs AREN'T THAT BAD. I mean I chose a Lexus simply because of reliability but that doesn't mean I think Benz reliability is crap.

BTW that Benz looks ugly.

Last edited by RshaoKh; 03-13-06 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-13-06, 06:45 PM
Aterrex
Driver

Nice, 2 door though.
Old 03-13-06, 06:48 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
If "most people get lucky" maybe we should think of it like "some people get unlucky and get bad Benzs." Of course Benz is still far from Lexus in terms of reliability but Lexus has so few problems that any other number would still be a huge gap. The point is, a Benz will not die or fail as often or anywhere near what people exaggerate or think. Of course I do agree with you that we would all rathter put our money into something more reliable but that doesn't give people who drive a Lexus the right to bash on Benzs and say that their reliability is "horrible." My arguement isn't that we should all put our money into a new Benz.... it's that Benzs AREN'T THAT BAD. I mean I chose a Lexus simply because of reliability but that doesn't mean I think Benz reliability is crap.
I basically agree with you actually. People should not exaggerate the Benz reliability issues, and I would not use words like horrible. I would just really like to see MB get their house in order and reclaim their heritage of being near the top of the quality charts (but still under Lexus, since that's what I drive ). In my own personal case, reliability was at the top of my mind when car shopping this time around. It was just a happy coincidence for me that the car I fell in love with is also the one that will probably prove to be the most reliable in its class.
Old 03-13-06, 07:00 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Can't forget good MPG.
Old 03-13-06, 09:20 PM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Morrissey
I think I've become predjudice against most MB vehicles because of their poor reputation for reliability the last few years.
It's because Chrysler owns MB.
Old 03-14-06, 09:03 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

MB owns Chrysler, not the other way around. DaimlerBenz bought Chrysler and renamed itself DaimlerChrysler. I guess Mr. Benz got $crewed.

Here is the most recent reliability survery from JD Power. You can see that MB is well, well below average. BMW is slightly above average. The study measures average number of technical problems per 100 owners of a 3-year-old car, so the cars in this survey are 2002 models.

Old 03-14-06, 09:06 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

looks preety good but i dont really like the back...
Old 03-14-06, 09:11 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

And here's the one from 2000 (1996 model year vehicles). MB is definitely going down hill relative to all the other car makers. Wow, industry average # of problems has gone down almost by half in 5 years!

Old 03-19-06, 09:13 AM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, I had no idea MB was that much lower than industry average in reliability. My co-worker drives a CLK55AMG and has had no problems after 3 years. To think I actually considered getting a CLK.
Old 03-19-06, 09:51 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

I like the look of the car, but as others have said until MB gets their s*** together I would never consider one of their vehicles. IMO part of the problem is that their US manufacturing plants in the deep south are a disaster. Nissan has had similar problems with their quality ratings since they moved their plants to the US as well.
Old 03-19-06, 07:38 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
Nissan has had similar problems with their quality ratings since they moved their plants to the US as well.
Yep, I know all about that. I own a 2004 Titan.
It was built in Mississipi.... 'nuf said.
Old 03-19-06, 09:05 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

MB has major reliability problems with their cars
Old 03-19-06, 10:11 PM
cdeeznuts
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mb and lexus

Let's not get it twisted. MB took over chrysler. Why?? Chrysler was on th decline and on sale they did it for the trucks. America's main selling cars are trucks and by purchasing chrysler they got a market into the american truck industry. Ever wonder why now we are seeing dodge aka mb sprinters nowadays, they've been in the euro market for years. MB doesn't want to put their luxury name in the american market near a truck.
Anyways. I own an 89 benz with 214k no problems but that was then. I also worked at Fletcher Jones MB in Newport, and I'll tell you this.. the new MBs own you, not the other way around, I've never seen soo many people come in every week with the same "I just bought this car" phrase or just soo many random problems with their cars..mostly electrical...and in the dealership every couple weeks for 5k 10k 15k 20k. or Aservice Bservice.Cservice.......but for 60-100k i feel bad cuz they wont experience my love for a real MB. I've also worked at a toyota dealership and these people come in for 30ks 60ks 90ks not much else just once in a while the occasional "i just bought this thing." Now I own an IS350 the MB for Sundays