IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Abusive Salesperson

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 08:24 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
Anyway as you can see, the threat is not there to support an assault, the systematic is not there to support harassment, and fear of bodily harm and/or conduct is not there to support the intimidation. It's not a criminal matter; however, as with mostly anything, it could be civil depending on what "phrases" he used.
Thanks for the clarification.

DAMN! Did I really cause that much of a ripple?
Old 03-08-06, 08:59 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
I'm thinking he felt he was ambushed; doesn't excuse his conduct, but surprises usually don't go over so well. I make it a point to "warn" people that if they don't "straighten out" that's fine, karma. Helps me feel better when I'm giving them the shaft.
Yeah I agree completely. I always appreciated a note of disapproval from customers beforehand. It made me want to do MORE for them. Sometimes things happen that I'm not aware of and it's better to voice opinions before you kill him on the survey. In turn, I do the same thing as a consumer.
Old 03-09-06, 12:25 AM
loftus112
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DirtySouth
Wow...that's surprising and unfortunate at the same time. It sounds to me like he may have gotten a better review than he deserved after throwing a temper-tantrum like that. I would seriously let the GM know about that incident. I always thought those customer feedback things were confidential. Hmm..
I have to agree with Dirtysouth. After what you gone through with your salesman during your initial and post transaction, I think middle of the road rating was way too high. Whats the point of evaluating our salesperson when we can't give our honest opinion and have to worry about getting chewed out for it. He obviously didn't bother following-up and returning your phone call, so talking to him wouldn't help much beforehand. You should report him to his manager.

Last edited by loftus112; 03-09-06 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-09-06, 04:25 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Yeah I agree completely. I always appreciated a note of disapproval from customers beforehand. It made me want to do MORE for them. Sometimes things happen that I'm not aware of and it's better to voice opinions before you kill him on the survey. In turn, I do the same thing as a consumer.
I think that might apply in some scenario's, but to be honest, my car salesman is simply the guy I'm forced to deal with to get my car. I'm not expecting a lot... I already know what I want, I've done my research, and I'm there because I want to buy the car. I expect him to do his job, be courteous, and otherwise leave me alone.

When I get a survey from Lexus, if I thought my salesman was above/below average, I'm going to rate them as I see fit, I'm certainly not going to drop him a note... he's not my buddy, and I'm being asked to rate his performance IN MY OPINION. End of story.
Old 03-09-06, 07:39 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default You unwittingly touched a nerve......

Originally Posted by IS250-AWD
Stopped in to my local Lexus dealer to have a tire checked. While I was there I stepped into the showroom and approached the salesperson who sold me the car.

He Yelled at me things of which I won't repeat, but I did get one message, He was really mad about the scoring that I did on the Lexus Customer Questionaire.

I filled out the questionairre as honestly as I could and he didn't get a stellar review so I guess he felt retribution was in order. He did yell "get another salesperson" or words to that effect but honestly I couldn't make out much else that he said.

I had called and left messages that he didn't return.

I had asked him for information about the car after picking it up and he didn't follow up.

The key number plate was missing and I asked that he get me one (three times) and he never followed up.

Overall I didn't think he did a good job never mind an outstanding job and I gave him a middle of the road score.

Be warned! I don't know if it applies to all dealerships but there are financial rewards attached to getting good reviews.

First of all there are no keyplates anymore with the new fobs. There aren't any wallet keys either.

Every dealership has different methods of rewarding/punishing for Sales survey scores. Typically the deals that are sold at the deepest discounts have the worst survey scores. The irony is that the small or minimum commission earned from those deals will sometimes be overshadowed by the bad survey and the effect on the salesperson's earnings. Every survey you send in is revealed to the sales person. The finance mgr. that you are reporting about in the finance questions does not get affected by the survey, only the salesperson. The surveys are long and tedious and require value judgments like "truly outstanding vs. good". The current surveys are new and have only been out for a year and are generally unpopular among the dealership staff. I would rather have the customer asked an open ended "What was your experience like?" and get a comment or full blown essay back. This information would be rich with best practices and things to avoid. It would help to clarify expectations too. The constructive criticism could be quantified. The salesman in this case not only lost his temper but also confused the customer. It is possible he was recently chewed out in the Manager's office about the survey from IS250 AWD. He may have lost a larger sum than the commission on the sale as a result of the score.

Lexus did not expect the dealerships to punish their staff because of the surveys. They didn't expect it to be a central role in the pay plan. However they did create stringent score guidelines that require constant coddling of customers. We have a service that contacts all customers after a service/sales visit. A lot of the customers just hang up! Many will say that they have already been surveyed. Some will refuse to answer the queries. Quite a few will say please take me off the call list......We have come to a point where the daily survey is an annoyance. Lexus takes these surveys very seriously so they give strong feedback to the dealer principal . The GM will give marching orders to his Managers. They will again strenuously give the expectations to the troops. The sales staff will feel the brunt financially and the ensuing resentment towards the customer. Some of the questions are out of the Salesperson's responsibility and control yet they affect his/her income directly. Some sales people will call the customer after a low survey score and try to find out what went wrong. Most will just hold the emotion inside and deal with it silently.

Lastly, just remember that the person that is handling your transaction lives off of straight commission in most cases. There is high stress and high turnover in the car sales environment. It requires long hours and much family sacrifice to be successful in car sales. Sales people come in all types but they are an independent breed. A good one will help you have a better buying experience. Despite their best efforts, problems can still occur. The salesperson will never forget the customer who gave them good marks and will always have a grudge against the ones that trashed them on the survey....Try to be fair!

Rock

Last edited by Rockville; 03-09-06 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-09-06, 07:52 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rockville
First of all there are no keyplates anymore with the new fobs. There aren't any wallet keys either.
Rock
What exactly are these keyplates? There definitely is a little metal plate that has an engraved number on it. You need this plate to get a new key made, so they know the key is actually for your car, and you're not just trying to get a key made so you can ****** someone else's Lexus. My salesperson told me to make sure I hold on to it, because it will be a pain to get a replacement key otherwise.

Is that the thing that they didn't give you?
Old 03-09-06, 07:59 AM
CarDudeRI
Rookie

Default we've had a bad experience with that same dealership

I know that dealership... it's Inskip in Warwick RI. do you know they are ranked #204 out of 206 lexus dealers in the US? we had a horrible experience with them... my partner bought his IS250 AWD there.... long story short, he had to call the cops on them - no kidding. he had already had the car for a week when they called him back to to have him show up at the dealer to discuss some paperwork. when he got there, they tried to prevent him from leaving the lot with his car. when the cops showed up, they completely sided with my guy. he ended up leaving with his car of course. So, I bought my IS250 AWD about 2 weeks later, but instead went to a diff dealership in MA. my parents are looking to buy the RX400h - we've steered them away from that dealership as well. I hope they realize how much business they've lost (and will lose in the future) because of their unprofessionalism. the funny thing is that my guy is a lawyer in the very small state of RI and i'm a business consultant... we know a lot of people in this area who like to drive higher end cars... you better believe we've told a lot of people about this.
Old 03-09-06, 08:45 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CarDudeRI
.... long story short, he had to call the cops on them - no kidding. he had already had the car for a week when they called him back to to have him show up at the dealer to discuss some paperwork. when he got there, they tried to prevent him from leaving the lot with his car. when the cops showed up, they completely sided with my guy.
I know you are trying to make a long story short but what was the dealerships reason for preventing him from leaving the lot?
Old 03-09-06, 09:06 AM
BobsGX
Racer

[QUOTE=CarDudeRI]I know that dealership... it's Inskip in Warwick RI. do you know they are ranked #204 out of 206 lexus dealers in the US? QUOTE]

Anywhere I can view this list??
Old 03-09-06, 09:15 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I wonder if you'll be able to get access to the internet from the state prison where you'd go for doing that? Maybe you could update us once a week from the library there ?

Guys enough with the internet chest pounding please... let's give some constructive advice and not violence.

Beinjg Honest...I would be in shock that a salesman would treat me like that . No asskicking or threats to be made, just shock

Then when I walked away it would hit me and I would be very angry Angry enough to call? I don't know , but I wouldn't go back

(I think this is a very honest answer)
Old 03-09-06, 09:26 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree but he still hasnt said why he approached the sales person or even how he approached the sales person or what he said to the sales person. What was your reason for approaching him.
Old 03-09-06, 10:51 AM
IS250-AWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
I agree but he still hasnt said why he approached the sales person or even how he approached the sales person or what he said to the sales person. What was your reason for approaching him.
This is very easy to answer. I merely was going to say hello. I guess I'm just a friendly sort of guy andI never thought for a moment that a problem would be caused if I was honest in my views of the salesperson. I was discarding any and all of the things I mentioned as being in the past and certainly wasn't mad or put out, but I did score based partly on those considerations.

I have outlined in writing all that I can remember and will be making an appointment to visit with the GM of Lexus in Warwick.

See, the thing is all that was done or not done didn't bother me to the point of being upset, I merely rated on the survey form my personal view.
Old 03-09-06, 12:08 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by mcfly
I think that might apply in some scenario's, but to be honest, my car salesman is simply the guy I'm forced to deal with to get my car. I'm not expecting a lot... I already know what I want, I've done my research, and I'm there because I want to buy the car. I expect him to do his job, be courteous, and otherwise leave me alone.

When I get a survey from Lexus, if I thought my salesman was above/below average, I'm going to rate them as I see fit, I'm certainly not going to drop him a note... he's not my buddy, and I'm being asked to rate his performance IN MY OPINION. End of story.
This is where we differ. Having worked so long in the sales and service field, I appreciate quality service. I like having that "personal touch". If I get treated well by someone, I am loyal to that person whether it's a car salesperson, a waiter at my favorite restaurant, a hairdresser, manicurist, or my shopgirl. I believe in paying a little more for good customer service.
Oh, and I have made friends with several people I sold cars to. I feel lucky to have encountered so many different people I would not have to opportunity to meet otherwise. I count some of them as very good friends.
Old 03-09-06, 01:36 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Oh, and I have made friends with several people I sold cars to. I feel lucky to have encountered so many different people I would not have to opportunity to meet otherwise. I count some of them as very good friends.

And I have become true friends with the people that have sold me cars. They will go to bat for you when a problem arises. They will give you a call when something "cool" comes up that they think might interest you. (as in a limited edition printing of a brochure or getting to see a "new" car before it is readily available)

Having a good relationship with the salesman and his or her colleagues is important to me!
Old 03-09-06, 01:49 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexustom
And I have become true friends with the people that have sold me cars. They will go to bat for you when a problem arises. They will give you a call when something "cool" comes up that they think might interest you. (as in a limited edition printing of a brochure or getting to see a "new" car before it is readily available)

Having a good relationship with the salesman and his or her colleagues is important to me!
Agreed its important to have a good relationship with your sales person...my salesperson treated me and my gf to eat sushi after we bought the car Needless to say I gave him a positive remarks.