IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Abusive Salesperson

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 02:16 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah, I agree PhilipMSTs comments are [i]way[/] over the top. Let your $$$ do the talking. Just take your future business elsewhere. Or challenge him to a duel at sunset.
Old 03-08-06, 02:41 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
He is a saleperson trying to make a living just like everyone else, and it's not like you have to deal with him everyday. Just let it go... I would.
You have a point that the he is just doing his job but what if he acts this way towards other customers but no one has said anything and so he will continure to act this way.

Definitely telling the GM is the way to go and like someone else posted if you have witnesses then involve them too.
Old 03-08-06, 02:52 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Say one thing: ASSAULT.

This is a legal matter. This was verbal assault and harassment. You have an opinion that Lexus asked for. This type of action should not be tolerated. Do not hesitate to ask the General Manager to terminate that salesman in front of you! If the General Manager does not terminate him in front of you, tell thim that you will contact Lexus Regional Headquarters to terminate him for allowing his employee to verbally assault and harass you.

I will not tolerate that type of action from anyone whether its a guy selling me gum or selling me a car. His actions are outrageous! Contact the proper authorities to handle this matter immediately. This person should not work in a Lexus dealership because he represents a product that we value.

Good luck on the matter. Keep us informed.
Unprofessional? Definately yes. A legal matter? Not necessarily. It would be an "assault" and a "legal matter" if he reasonably felt threatened by the salesman and in danger of physical assault. I would have gone directly to the general manager.
Old 03-08-06, 03:01 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

what I didn't particularly care for was the pressure that was put on me for a positive survey.

The salesman had only been there for 2 weeks. And he never sold cars before. He didn't know as much about the car as I did, but he also wasn't full of all of the typical salesmen bs either, so it was actually a pleasurable experience, one of the best that I have had actually.

But the other guy (that goes back and forth to the "finance guy" with the four square as well as the finance manager told me more then a few times to make sure I give them good marks on the survey.

I can understand them telling me to make sure I send it back in, but telling me over and over to give them good marks is a little rediculous.
Old 03-08-06, 03:40 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Post the name of the sales "professional" and the dealer name. Then forward the link to this thread to everyone at the dealership and Lexus Corporate.

Done and done.
Old 03-08-06, 03:57 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

That's beyond unprofessional. Yes, normally, I'd let things just slide, but getting yelled at in a showroom is simply uncalled for. Particularly if it's over a response card. I'd definitely let the GM know. Any halfway decent GM would want to know. How does a dealership look if other customers see the salespeople yelling at customers who buy cars from them? That's one quick way to scare customers away. The sooner that salesperson is terminated, the better for everyone involved. Obviously, car sales isn't the right type of job for that salesperson either.
Old 03-08-06, 04:07 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Hmm, I would actually be amused by such a thing. I would go tell on him and hopefully he would get nailed for it but...I bet the GM also gets hurt by bad surveys. Bottom line, car salespersons are generally idiots and harldy worth your time. I likely would have told him why I gave him the review. As for going to the cops, I guess I have thicker skin and get called all kinds of things in soccer games every week. I would be a bit concerned about bringing your car there for service. They can be buddies with the service guys some times.
Old 03-08-06, 04:20 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyxcom
what I didn't particularly care for was the pressure that was put on me for a positive survey.
This must be your first Lexus. They are all the same. When they come out with a laminated copy of the survey with all the top rating selected, you know there's pressure for them to get the top marks. I don't know how many times my salesperon mentioned the survey over the 4 month period I was waiting for my car. I felt like saying, if you put half of that effort into keeping me satified you wouldn't have to be concerned with the review. The old addage "take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves". BTW, they didn't get top marks from me either.
Old 03-08-06, 04:32 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I agree you should write a letter to the GM. Perhaps he will compensate you in some way.
No way will you be able to get that guy fired, he didn't assault you. He was just mad.

Surveys affect salespeople ONLY. Not the finance guy or the managers. So if your salesperson was great but the finance guy pissed you off and you reflected that on the survey, nothing happens to the finance guy. The survey system is totally screwy.

Salespeople get bonus money each month based on 100% feedback. It's difficult to get all 100% on every survey. I used to have to campaign and felt silly at times because I had to make a big deal about it to my customers. Most of them would laugh and tell me no problem. I had to keep repeating myself and stressing how important it was.

In school, a 90% - 99% is considered an "A" grade, but in Lexus world, it's fail.

My bonus was only $300 for all 100% with a 6 survey return minimum. If I got 5 surveys back at 100%, I got no money. (A lot of people throw it away.) Other dealerships I've seen a range from $300 up to $1,000.

Think on it this way, you got the last laugh because probably you cost him that month's bonus. If he gets enough bad surveys, he will lose any "Certified" status and that costs him car allowance, other bonuses, gifts at Taste of Luxury drives, and perhaps "Elite" for dealership. It's all connected.

Personally I'd write a short email to the GM to alert him and then move on.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 03-08-06 at 04:39 PM. Reason: We need spell check on CL!
Old 03-08-06, 05:25 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

This survey tactic appears to be a common method used by other manufacturers as well - and it's a lose-lose situation for both the customer and the salesman.
Old 03-08-06, 07:48 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Default drama!

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Say one thing: ASSAULT.

This is a legal matter. This was verbal assault and harassment. You have an opinion that Lexus asked for. This type of action should not be tolerated. Do not hesitate to ask the General Manager to terminate that salesman in front of you! If the General Manager does not terminate him in front of you, tell thim that you will contact Lexus Regional Headquarters to terminate him for allowing his employee to verbally assault and harass you.

I will not tolerate that type of action from anyone whether its a guy selling me gum or selling me a car. His actions are outrageous! Contact the proper authorities to handle this matter immediately. This person should not work in a Lexus dealership because he represents a product that we value.

Good luck on the matter. Keep us informed.
oh good grief ... what drama! ... someone call 911!
Old 03-08-06, 07:52 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I'd expect this from a Ford or Chevy Dealer on a $14k Malibu.........

But not a Luxury dealer such as Lexus. If this crap was pulled on me, I would have let him rant and rave. Then proceeded to the "upstairs" offices and found the guy with the biggest office and proceeded to unload my complete displeasure in the way I was being treated after netting this dealership thousands in profit.

I wouldn't stop there either. Corporate would be getting a certified letter as well...........I'm pretty vindictive when you try and bend me over................

I say go for the throat and rip out their bawls..............
Old 03-08-06, 08:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by knox_sport
oh good grief ... what drama! ... someone call 911!
I did!!!

No, seriously, I value "customer service." I have provided it with 110% quality and enthusiasm with all my jobs. I learned from my mistakes and have become a better person for it. I have never blamed a customer or client for something I did wrong.

Now when I spend my hard earned money on something, I want to get value. Value encompasses quality, price, and service. I shop around for all three, not just one. Poor service can make an item of excellent quality and price (such as a Lexus) seem like it's the worst thing ever made.

I do not accept poor service in my job, whether it's from my employees or for myself. In turn, I do not accept it from anyone else. And I let them know immediately.

I admit, my response was overdramatic. (I had four cups of coffee this morning.) However, it still does not deter from the fact that the salesman was completely in the wrong, and that he should have never approached IS250-AWD with aggression and blame, but rather with humility and foregiveness. He should immediately know this and learn from it, so that he will never do it again.
Old 03-08-06, 08:21 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Default skip this thread onto the next one if you're not interested in the legal terms

*copied from various internet sources, fye (for your education)

==quote start
assault 1) v. the threat or attempt to strike another, whether successful or not, provided the target is aware of the danger. The assaulter must be reasonably capable of carrying through the attack. In some states if the assault is with a deadly weapon (such as sniping with a rifle), the intended victim does not need to know of the peril. Other state laws distinguish between different degrees (first or second) of assault depending on whether there is actual hitting, injury or just a threat. "Aggravated assault" is an attack connected with the commission of another crime, such as beating a clerk during a robbery. 2) n. the act of committing an assault, as in "there was an assault down on Third Avenue." Assault is both a criminal wrong, for which one may be charged and tried, and civil wrong for which the target may sue for damages due to the assault, including for mental distress.

harassment (either harris-meant or huh-rass-meant) n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands. The purposes may vary, including racial prejudice, personal malice, an attempt to force someone to quit a job or grant sexual favors, apply illegal pressure to collect a bill, or merely gain sadistic pleasure from making someone fearful or anxious. Such activities may be the basis for a lawsuit if due to discrimination based on race or sex, a violation on the statutory limitations on collection agencies, involve revenge by an ex-spouse, or be shown to be a form of blackmail ("I'll stop bothering you, if you'll go to bed with me"). The victim may file a petition for a "stay away" (restraining) order, intended to prevent contact by the offensive party. A systematic pattern of harassment by an employee against another worker may subject the employer to a lawsuit for failure to protect the worker.

As far as I know, verbal assault is not a crime but....

INTIMIDATION, TAKE BY MEANS OF - To say or do something in such a way that a person of ordinary sensibilities would be fearful of bodily harm.

It is not necessary to prove that the alleged victim was actually frightened, and neither is it necessary to show that the behavior of the person was so violent that it was likely to cause terror, panic or hysteria. However, a taking would not be by 'means of intimidation' if any fear on the part of the alleged victim resulted from his or her own timidity rather than some intimidating conduct on the part of the person. The essence of the offense is the taking of money or property aided and accompanied by willful, intimidating behavior on the part of the person.

==quote end

I won't post the definition of terrorism but from his post, it sounds like that might have applied.

Anyway as you can see, the threat is not there to support an assault, the systematic is not there to support harassment, and fear of bodily harm and/or conduct is not there to support the intimidation. It's not a criminal matter; however, as with mostly anything, it could be civil depending on what "phrases" he used.

Last edited by kensteele; 03-08-06 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-08-06, 08:24 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

So I have to agree with most everything said here but my question is did the salesperson know you were unhappy with him? When you both departed ways after the sale, did everyone feel ok as in all is forgotten or ....had you already made up your mind to rate the survey poorly? I'm thinking he felt he was ambushed; doesn't excuse his conduct, but surprises usually don't go over so well. I make it a point to "warn" people that if they don't "straighten out" that's fine, karma. Helps me feel better when I'm giving them the shaft.

Quick Reply: Abusive Salesperson