IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 07:14 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by casey225
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will ), but a few years back Consumer Reports tested reg oil, syn. blend, and pure syn. on NYC taxis. I'm not sure of the specifics, I think it was after 25K miles, they checked and found no difference in engine wear based on type of oil. I just remember the take home message was not to waste your money on synthetic. I don't know about sludge buildup etc.
I read that test report, it was done many years ago if i recall correctly, they used "mobil1 oil"
they did more than a 25k test, it was more like something closer to 100k, and found
no difference between reg oil and syn.. sludge will not build up if you change your oil
frequently, no matter what you use,.. like i said syn is really for race cars, the only advantage
i see that it gives our cars, is it flows better in extremely cold tempatures, and oh yeah,, (piece of mind)
Old 03-07-06, 07:40 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by casey225
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will ), but a few years back Consumer Reports tested reg oil, syn. blend, and pure syn. on NYC taxis. I'm not sure of the specifics, I think it was after 25K miles, they checked and found no difference in engine wear based on type of oil. I just remember the take home message was not to waste your money on synthetic. I don't know about sludge buildup etc.
were the intervals on oil service of each oil type the same? Obviously if each oil is changed out at the same time theres going to be no difference in engine wear. I would run synthetic on engines with strong engines or force induction so the oil is more resistant to higher engine tempertures longer and wont break down as fast as conventional oil.
Old 03-08-06, 08:01 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leechiro
ill prob swap to full syn on my first and change it every 5k like i did with my rsx-s. ive always used mobil1

hey JAM, were you ever on rsx or mustang boards? name looks familiar
Yeah, I've posted on some Mustang boards before. Haven't posted on the RSX boards though.

Originally Posted by Tony1
You also have to remember the cars you mentioned are not driven nearly as
much as totoyas are, those are mainly "Weekend driven cars"., while most
totoyas have much more mileage put on them, and are driven through
all climates, including cold winter seasons, and they STILL last longer..
All you have to do it change your oil in a reasonable amount of time
and buy a JAPANese car!
I wouldn't say that. I drive my 02 WS6 every day and haven't had any problems.
Like I said, toyotas aren't free from the laws of physics...there are a lot of other manufacturers that make quality powerplants. I'm not saying they aren't good...I just don't believe they are superior.
Old 03-08-06, 08:57 PM
Leechiro
Driver

cool, musta seen you on 3.8mustang.com. anyways, on topic...i figure the cost of using reg oil is about half the price of using synthetic. but you can go about twice as long with the synthetic as you can with regular. so for me, it almost balances out.
Old 03-09-06, 05:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Leechiro
cool, musta seen you on 3.8mustang.com. anyways, on topic...i figure the cost of using reg oil is about half the price of using synthetic. but you can go about twice as long with the synthetic as you can with regular. so for me, it almost balances out.
in this case the conventional wont leave sludge in your engine so synthetic would have a slight edge. Ive come to the conclusion that if you change your oil at 3k miles theres going to be little to no difference b/t conventional and synthetic. Im guessing when you take it out to the longer intervals synthetic starts showing its advantages
Old 03-09-06, 06:30 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
in this case the conventional wont leave sludge in your engine so synthetic would have a slight edge. Ive come to the conclusion that if you change your oil at 3k miles theres going to be little to no difference b/t conventional and synthetic. Im guessing when you take it out to the longer intervals synthetic starts showing its advantages

The thing is, there are a lot of ppl out there that believe, no matter what kind of
oil it is, no matter how good it is, it should be changed after about 3-4k miles, because even
the best syn oil gets conaminated.. I also believe that, and i don't need an
oil analysis done to tell me what I already see with my own two eyes..(the oil turning black and
getting thicker), which by the way, happens to syn oils after 3-4k miles, I used to use
syn oils and do my own oils changes, so i know this first hand.. i stopped using
syn oils in about 1992, when i realized what i mentioned above...I Think the first time
i used them was in 1989, all i remember being out was "mobil1"..
Old 03-09-06, 06:36 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

The thing is, there are a lot of ppl out there that believe, no matter what kind of
oil it is, no matter how good it is, it should be changed after about 3-4k miles, because even
oil analysis done to tell me what I already see with my own two eyes..(the oil turning black and
getting thicker), which by the way, happens to syn oils after 3-4k miles, I used to use
syn oils and do my own oils changes, so i know this first hand.. i stopped using
syn oils in about 1992, when i realized what i mentioned above...I Think the first time

This kind of misinformation is why people in North America still waste an obscene amount of natural resources by changing their oil when there's nothing wrong with it. This debate it endless, so I'm not going to waste too much of my breath, but you can't judge an oil's condition with your eyes: period. End of sentence.

There were issues with synthetics way back when they were first released. There are no longer such issues. I run my synthetic oil 5000 plus miles in my car. It has over 50k miles on it now. Oil analysis confirms that there are no abnormal wear particulates, and that the TBN (look it up if you don't know what it is) is still high... meaning even after 5000 miles, there is plenty of life left in the oil. Unless you're Clark Kent, I tend to doubt you can see those things. Oil turns darker as it gets older... it's supposed to. That dark color is carbon buildup, and it means the oil is doing its job and keep the motor clean.

I can understand if you're a bit hesitant after some bad experiences a few decades ago, but things have progressed substantially... time to enter the new millinium.
Old 03-09-06, 07:19 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

By the way, if you're interested in FACTUAL (i.e. oil analysis) information about all kinds of oils in all kinds of cars, check out:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...?ubb=forum;f=3
Old 03-09-06, 07:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

currently its 2006, its been almost 15 years, technology has vastly improved since then. You havent used modern synthetics so your experience with early 90s synthetics is irrelevant. While its good to keep good oil in the car, heck you can change it everyday if you wanted but thats just throwing money away. With that in mind if the oil is still good at 3-4k why change it. For peace of mind fine, but again you are throwing away still good oil. There is a balance to keeping your engine with good condition oil vs. money. If a mass spectrometer can run a TBN on an oil sample and say I can extend it then great I dont have to change my oil as much and minimize unecessary maintainence. Your eyes cant tell what the TBN is. Even the dealers on the new IS say you can change it at 8k-10k if you use synthetic. Cars run a ton cleaner than they used to and oils have advanced greatly as a result intervals are more extended.

3k-4k is a thing of the past with modern cars and modern oils unless of course you have money to burn

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 03-09-06 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-09-06, 07:47 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Even the dealers on the new IS say you can change it at 8k-10k if you use synthetic.
Unless they say it in writing, it is risky to extend the oil change interval during the warranty period.

Beyond the warranty period, I'd agree. Oil analysis is inexpensive, and a great way to arrive at a change interval that is appropriate for your engine. The color of used engine oil has no bearing on its ability to lubricate.
Old 03-09-06, 07:51 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

You''re both right, it's been 15 yrs. and ive been using regular oil,
and have never had ANY engine problems of any kind on any of my cars
Thank you both for making my point even more clear

Also, you talk about wasting precious oil, meanwhile when you spend
double the money on syn oil, you just give the oil companies more money
to put right back into their oil plants, so they can produce even more oil, so
don't even try going that route, it all equals out..The only person that can give
lectures on not spending too much oil is someone that has an electric car
Old 03-09-06, 08:06 AM
JamRWS6
Driver

Originally Posted by mcfly

This kind of misinformation is why people in North America still waste an obscene amount of natural resources by changing their oil when there's nothing wrong with it. This debate it endless, so I'm not going to waste too much of my breath, but you can't judge an oil's condition with your eyes: period. End of sentence.

There were issues with synthetics way back when they were first released. There are no longer such issues. I run my synthetic oil 5000 plus miles in my car. It has over 50k miles on it now. Oil analysis confirms that there are no abnormal wear particulates, and that the TBN (look it up if you don't know what it is) is still high... meaning even after 5000 miles, there is plenty of life left in the oil. Unless you're Clark Kent, I tend to doubt you can see those things. Oil turns darker as it gets older... it's supposed to. That dark color is carbon buildup, and it means the oil is doing its job and keep the motor clean.

I can understand if you're a bit hesitant after some bad experiences a few decades ago, but things have progressed substantially... time to enter the new millinium.
+1
I've seen many oil analyses that had identical results at 6K miles as it did at 3K miles.
Old 03-09-06, 08:22 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Unless they say it in writing, it is risky to extend the oil change interval during the warranty period.

They do say it in writing. The European manual specifies oil and filter changes at 10k intervals.
Old 03-09-06, 09:01 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
They do say it in writing. The European manual specifies oil and filter changes at 10k intervals.
Which is great if you live in Europe. But here, if you have a warranty claim and the dealer or factory rep asks you to produce evidence that scheduled maintenance was performed, they'll be expecting that it was performed according to the schedule prescribed in the U.S. manuals.

Last edited by Bichon; 03-09-06 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-09-06, 09:34 AM
Jimmer350
Driver

Here in Canada, when I owned my BMW (2001-2006) the car came with syn. and the interval was 25000 KM!! Believe it or not you would have to pay for it yourself if you wanted it done sooner. BMW's warranty would only cover the cost if you followed their 25000 interval!!

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil