IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Key fob case is crap...are there aftermarket styles out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 09:38 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terp05
Did you guys get your cases in the mail or were they in the car somewhere? Also include when you purchased your vehicle (the GS forum indicated those bought after Dec 7 had the cases included in the car)
When we were signing the papers and getting ready to take the car home the salesman handed two to us. We got the IS around Dec. 9?
Old 03-07-06, 09:43 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine were in the glove compartment and I took delivery on Nov 6th. The salesman told me they were placed there in the factory, but I don't know how accurate that is... They may have done it at port or at the dealer.
Old 03-07-06, 09:57 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

My "key gloves" were in the glove box too, when the car was delivered in early December. The dealer also gave me two gold Lexus keychains engraved with the dealer's info and the 800 number for roadside assistance, but those were way to bulky to use.
Old 03-07-06, 12:15 PM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheesh...there's nothing out there. I'm going to rearrange the PCB and the design a new slim case for it. I'm trying to get it under 1/8" thick so I can stuff it in my wallet and forget about it.

I'm going to order an extra key fob and take apart the PCB components to flatten it out. Maybe redesign the PCB itself if needed. Here's a quick model I created. The length and width is about a stick of gum.
[IMG]iso.jpg[/IMG]

My goal is to get it near the thickness of those HID proximity cards at work.
Attached Thumbnails Key fob case is crap...are there aftermarket styles out there?-iso.jpg  
Old 03-07-06, 12:39 PM
lexus27
Pit Crew

After reading posts about these leather cases, I searched my car and found a pair in the driver seat storage (backside). Thanks for the info guys!
Old 03-07-06, 12:44 PM
terp05
Driver

Originally Posted by emissivity
Sheesh...there's nothing out there. I'm going to rearrange the PCB and the design a new slim case for it. I'm trying to get it under 1/8" thick so I can stuff it in my wallet and forget about it.

I'm going to order an extra key fob and take apart the PCB components to flatten it out. Maybe redesign the PCB itself if needed. Here's a quick model I created. The length and width is about a stick of gum.

sounds like a fun project- do you work with PCB layout for a living? I'd like to do the same but unfortunately don't (did it in college though) and wouldn't have the time outside of work.
Old 03-07-06, 01:24 PM
emissivity

Originally Posted by terp05
sounds like a fun project- do you work with PCB layout for a living? I'd like to do the same but unfortunately don't (did it in college though) and wouldn't have the time outside of work.
Actually my background is Mech Engineering but I have the the tools and resources at work to dabble with PCB layouts. I'll try to put some lunchtime in this little project.
Old 03-07-06, 01:36 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The LS460 will have a credit card sized key that will fit in your wallet, so you never have to take it out. No need for a cover for that one...
Old 03-07-06, 01:59 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The LS460 will have a credit card sized key that will fit in your wallet, so you never have to take it out. No need for a cover for that one...
Really? That's awesome. Do you think the dealer will be able to make a key like that for the IS, or is it a totally different system? I'd definitely pay good money for a credit-card sized key. I guess the only problem is if someone steals your wallet, they've got your car key too...
Old 03-07-06, 02:23 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Great idea!

I remember we had a 1990 LS400 with a spare key made of plastic that was meant to be kept in the credit card slot in your wallet.

Hoping I will be able to get one programmed for my 2IS!

TripleL
Old 03-07-06, 05:22 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

[IMG]iso.jpg[/IMG]

That's looks pretty cool, should make for a nice project. I know the Lexus is trademark but it would still be cool to engrave the Lexus logo on there. Post of pic of your working model when you are done, please.
Old 03-07-06, 05:28 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
When we were signing the papers and getting ready to take the car home the salesman handed two to us. We got the IS around Dec. 9?
i picked my car up nov. 30th...my salesperson put the key fobs in the leather gloves when i was sitting with her signing the papers and going over everything when i picked the car up..i also got 1 lexus engraved keychain..its small and is the perfect size for the keyfob