Bait and Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-06, 06:46 AM
carnac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bait and Switch

Well Lexus has lost another Customer because of there BullS*&#
It started over 90days ago when I ordered a IS350, I ordered with M.L sound system
And the Luxury package, the Mark Levinson was on the sheet that you could order alone, with NO Nav. So 3 months later, the dealer says the Factory is not making it that way yet and don’t know when they will.
The strange thing is that they had the Same Car coming in with my name on it with NAV.
I did not order it that way, its only a 3000.00 UP Grade! I don’t need it.
It’s the old Bait and switch, or Super Size Me!
I was so Pissed off I called Lexus Corporate, they want things to go well with there dealers, they are very nice and helpful.
If any one has any Problems with dealers you have to call Lexus Corporate, they will
Shake up the dealer.
End result, I’m going back and forth with the dealers on the price.
Old 03-03-06, 07:12 AM
tjmaxwell
Driver School Candidate

Just get the Nav. Even if you know how to get everywhere in the United States, there are many other features that you'll soon enjoy. DVD video, bluetooth, easy touchscreen controls for audio/climate. The list goes on and on. Oh, and I know that Nav will come in handy for you more often than you realize. I've seen a lot of people lamenting the fact they didn't get Nav now. Just my $.02.
Old 03-03-06, 07:23 AM
LSUFanMan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree...negotiate the best cost you can for the Nav and put it in your note ot whatever. The Nav has a lot of features you will find yourself using, and it will add to resale value down the road.

Stop the lamenting, get the car and have a ball!
Old 03-03-06, 07:39 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Second everything above, I was debating back and forth on the Nav and finally ordered it as all I really wanted was the Bluetooth. Turns out this is my favorite thing about the car. I'm never mad about sitting in traffic anymore, I do stuff on the screen, add to calendar memos, phone book, the map is so cool, notice something new every day, voice recognition, the list goes on and on.

I think you are in the best position now to negotiate on the price, but they could just say take it or leave it, we've got a line of customers who will take this car.
Old 03-03-06, 07:47 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Quite honestly think of resale, who is goign to buy a Lexus w/o nav especially in 5 years.
Old 03-03-06, 08:20 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfw350
Quite honestly think of resale, who is goign to buy a Lexus w/o nav especially in 5 years.
I'll play devil's advocate here. True, but NAV are like computers. Imagine purchasing a used vehicle that had 1st Gen NAV. Would you use it? That's why NAV has never been considered a huge resale value. 5th Gen just came out but with the stuff I'm seeing from Japan for NAV, I'm sure our NAV will be outdated in 5 years.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 03-03-06, 08:26 AM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kermee
I'll play devil's advocate here. True, but NAV are like computers. Imagine purchasing a used vehicle that had 1st Gen NAV. Would you use it? That's why NAV has never been considered a huge resale value. 5th Gen just came out but with the stuff I'm seeing from Japan for NAV, I'm sure our NAV will be outdated in 5 years.

Cheers,
Kermee
You beat me to the response Kermee.
Old 03-03-06, 08:26 AM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kermee

Cheers,
Kermee
I agree, NAV will add *NO* value at resale, at best it might make an otherwise equal car sell first.
Old 03-03-06, 09:15 AM
tjmaxwell
Driver School Candidate

It's true that the 5th generation nav system will be outdated in five years, but it will still be more than functional for most people. Besides, you can't just consider the navigation system itself, it's also a very slick climate control and audio interface. It may not add much to resale value, but it will add some.
Old 03-03-06, 09:24 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

you guys are wrong.

it will be a value in resale because if given 2 cars one without nav and one with nav, i would go for the one WITH nav for a little extra just because of all the features you get with it.
and if youre going to buy a used car (which the lexus will be in 5 years when you decide to sell it or whatever), youre going to look for the best one you can get for your money.
Old 03-03-06, 09:27 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carnac
Well Lexus has lost another Customer because of there BullS*&#
It started over 90days ago when I ordered a IS350, I ordered with M.L sound system
And the Luxury package, the Mark Levinson was on the sheet that you could order alone, with NO Nav. So 3 months later, the dealer says the Factory is not making it that way yet and don’t know when they will.
The strange thing is that they had the Same Car coming in with my name on it with NAV.
I did not order it that way, its only a 3000.00 UP Grade! I don’t need it.
It’s the old Bait and switch, or Super Size Me!
I was so Pissed off I called Lexus Corporate, they want things to go well with there dealers, they are very nice and helpful.
If any one has any Problems with dealers you have to call Lexus Corporate, they will
Shake up the dealer.
End result, I’m going back and forth with the dealers on the price.
The dealer can eat the $3000 in their profit if you didnt negotiate anything off before.
Old 03-03-06, 09:27 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Dabigman
I agree, NAV will add *NO* value at resale, at best it might make an otherwise equal car sell first.
You couldn't be more wrong! Have you bothered using KBB? Having Nav does make a difference on the resale value.
Old 03-03-06, 09:39 AM
DirtySouth
Rookie

Originally Posted by dfw350
you guys are wrong.

it will be a value in resale because if given 2 cars one without nav and one with nav, i would go for the one WITH nav for a little extra just because of all the features you get with it.
and if youre going to buy a used car (which the lexus will be in 5 years when you decide to sell it or whatever), youre going to look for the best one you can get for your money.
I would agree on this point. Even though the NAV may be outdated, IMHO most people don't even know what an outdated NAV looks like. I believe your average person sees NAV and goes, "Oh cool...I want that." I don't think they are typically gonna be concerned about what version of NAV it is. My two cents...
Old 03-03-06, 09:48 AM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Sounds to me like your salesperson did the S.O. incorrectly; Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't your special order written on ONE piece of paper, w/ handwritten figures? Mine was (I found this odd, but didn't want to fuss about it). It was the salespersons manager that informed me that I couldn't get the package that I was ORIGINALLY told I could get (sports package w/out NAV).

Mistakes happen, I would hardly jump to the conclusion and call this a "Bait and Switch". I would more rationalize it as somebody made a mistake - and without being involved in the conversation or even being able to see your invoice, there is no way to tell who's truly at fault.

On a side note: Does the non-NAV new IS come with a touch screen? I'm SOOOOO Glad I was FORCED into buying the NAV system, if non-NAV doesn't come with touchscreen.
Old 03-03-06, 09:49 AM
mr.BeboT
Driver

carnac, we are in opposite situations, I changed my mind and wanted NAV w/ML but am being told the car is past production stage. I'm in socal but i don't even know if a system trade between our cars would be possible. If I do indeed receive the car with NAV/ML then I guess I wouldn't be as upset as you since I did change my mind about it.

Quick Reply: Bait and Switch