IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bait and Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06, 04:32 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hey Carnac,

If you don't like the Navigation ( it will grow on you ) then it is easier to find the less expensive model. The problem is that you are also giving up the Mark Levinson. The Pioneer system isn't bad and has 13 speakers. Lexus doesn't offer the Mark Levinson the way you want it. The dealer had no control over this. If they will give you a better discount I suggest you take it. If not then reset and go for the std. model and std. sound system. Your choice.

I mentioned the part about the DVD as it demonstrates the sound system the best. Blue Man group is an audio DVD that also has 6.1 surround sound which you can listen to while driving. It's just that a lot of people have never heard a DVD-A surround sound playback but everyone has been to the movies and heard surround sound special effects. The screen is VGA and the best resolution ever offerred. Back up camera is crisp and bright.

Everyone is calling this an entry level luxury car...This car is so hot that we have people gawking at it all day and waiting to test drive. It has just as nice an interior as the flagship LS430. If you get the IS350 you get the highest performance Lexus to date. About 5 employees at the dealership have already purchased or leased the IS. More are waiting for the right color and equipment or special ordering. Lexus changed their mind about the Mark Levinson install and your order got caught in the process...The Nav with Mark Levinson is off the hook. Rims are nice too but you can add them anytime. You can't add Nav or Mark Levinson surround sound...Your going to love it if you get it. The dealer will take a day or two to sell your special order if you back out and they'll probably get list due to scarcity.

Rock
Old 03-04-06, 04:54 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back to the OP, the main argument is that the dealer is trying to sell him something he didn't order. The argument here is NOT that NAV isn't worth it. It's just what he didn't order. It's the whole principal of the deal. There are two ways to handle this:

#1. He walks and Lexus loses a customer.
#2. Dealership sells the NAV at invoice/cost admitting they messed up.

As for the recent comments about "It's a $40,000 car. What's another $2,000?" crap... $2,000 is still $2,000 for most people even if they're buying an entry-level luxury vehicle. I can instantly pick out who's fiscally irresponsible from the pages of comments over the added cost of NAV. If $2,000 pushes the price of the vehicle out of your comfort-level, then it's $2,000 too much. And the actual cost is $2,000 ONLY if the vehicle is purchased in cash. Amortize $2,000 over 7% in 60 months, as an example, and see how much NAV will actually cost you if you decide to keep the car.

Come'mon people. Don't be a jerk.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 03-04-06, 08:05 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
Umm... Saving $2,000+ on a $40,000 car is the same as saving $2,000+ on a $10,000 car. In the end you're saving $2,000+. It doesn't matter how much the car costs. His arguement of "what's the extra $2,550 going to do?" is meaningless. Money is money. $2,550 is still $2,550. Just because the car is $40,000 does not mean that the $2,550 is worth less simply because the car in itself is so expensive. I've said this over and over. I used a different situation to make it more simple for you. How do you know that I don't know what I'm talking about. If you don't understand then don't make the assumption that I'm confused. I'm sorry if what I said didn't make sense TO YOU. I've stuck with this topic 2 times before. I thought I would use a different example the third time since you've misunderstood it twice before.

If he thinks $2,550 is nothing on a $40,000 car then why do so many people get aftermarket HIDs on this car? I mean they spent $40,000 on a car... why not get the luxury package so they have HIDs stock? Why do people try so hard to get the best price out of their buy when they get around $1-2,000 off msrp. Isn't that the price of a NAV? As you can see, $2,550 is still A LOT EVEN TO IS350 BUYERS.
When do you plan to get back on the topic?

I understand what you are saying; what I don't understand is how it is even remotely relevant to the topic. It isn't.

Why don't you find another angle instead of trying to explain to me why $2,550 is a lot of money to you. <--- hint
Old 03-04-06, 08:15 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kermee

As for the recent comments about "It's a $40,000 car. What's another $2,000?" crap... $2,000 is still $2,000 for most people even if they're buying an entry-level luxury vehicle.
Just to clarify the point, the comment is "It's a $40,000 car. Another $2,000 should not cause you so much pain and suffering that you are now unable to purchase the vehicle and accuse the dealership of bait and switch."

Lexus made the decision to include an option that they thought would not financially impact the sale of this vehicle. They are thinking exactly the opposite as you.

Correct me if I am wrong but when Lexus made the move to permanently raise the price of this vehicle by $2,000 without option, they did not feel that they were adversely affecting the car buying experience and the target market they were aiming for. I feel the same. Do you disagree?

And it has nothing to do with fiscal responsibility, everyone here has a different level and different values, so no one should pretend to judge anyone else's money.

Disclaimer on this comment: I know there are people who would prefer that practically everything on this car be an option so they not only can get this car exactly the way they like it but the can also make this car fit into their budget. This is not that car.
Old 03-05-06, 07:28 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default This is an availability issue not a dealership using

deceptive practices. It is always easy to blame the dealership so these threads will pile on as everybody joins in to insinuate some wicked dealership conspiracy. There were three Pioneer made head units designed for this car. The standard one, the Mark Levinson without DVD capability and the DVD player Mark Lev. It is likely that popularity of the DVD made them simplify the option to just one version. It is also consistent with the GS Mark Lev. production.

I tend to agree that if you are spending $40,000 and another $2,000 or $3,000 puts the car out of reach then you may have looked at too much car to begin with. In that case deleting the Mark Levinson entirely would bring some relief of about $1,000 in savings. If you just don't like the Nav. option at all and it's excess baggage and not a monetary restraint issue then that means that the car wouldn't meet Carmac's needs at any price concession. You could buy a lesser equipped model and upgrade the audio system yourself. Percy offers a lot of advice on this. Since you wouldn't miss the DVD player as you didn't want it to begin with then this would be a good solution. $3,000 extra on the price is about $60 a month for 5 years. That is a significant amount to me........

Rock
Old 03-05-06, 08:26 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to agree that if you are spending $40,000 and another $2,000 or $3,000 puts the car out of reach then you may have looked at too much car to begin with.
It's one thing for 2-3k to put the car out of reach. It's another to simply say it puts you over budget (meaning out of your "I'm willing to pay this much" range). Just because you can pay for something doesn't mean you should.
Old 03-05-06, 06:24 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mcfly
It's one thing for 2-3k to put the car out of reach. It's another to simply say it puts you over budget (meaning out of your "I'm willing to pay this much" range). Just because you can pay for something doesn't mean you should.
True dat. I can comfortably afford my IS, but I simply did NOT want to pay the additional $$$ for the NAV (I know I'm in the vast minority here). Now if the NAV came standard and I HAD to pay the extra $$$, it would not have detered me from buying the car one bit, but since I had the choice to pay extra to get it, or save and not get it, I choose to save the $$$.
Old 03-06-06, 09:03 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by kensteele
Just to clarify the point, the comment is "It's a $40,000 car. Another $2,000 should not cause you so much pain and suffering that you are now unable to purchase the vehicle and accuse the dealership of bait and switch."

... rest snipped...
kensteele,

I agree with your comments too. I don't think your points and my points clash that much at all.

Disclaimer on this comment: I know there are people who would prefer that practically everything on this car be an option so they not only can get this car exactly the way they like it but the can also make this car fit into their budget. This is not that car.
That's very true. If someone pratically wanted everything in this car to be an option, they could of gone with BMW.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 03-06-06, 10:28 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When do you plan to get back on the topic?

I understand what you are saying; what I don't understand is how it is even remotely relevant to the topic. It isn't.

Why don't you find another angle instead of trying to explain to me why $2,550 is a lot of money to you. <--- hint

$2,550 isn't a lot to JUST me. Hint hint.
No offense but just because you own a Lexus, especially an entry level luxury car, does not entitle you to being in the "upper class." In other words, you ain't that rich. If you're so rich since $2,550 is not worth much to you go buy a better car. I'm taking it that you got this car not for a luxury sedan since that's not the point of this vehicle. Go buy a S class or something like my dad. Or get a 7 Series.

I think it's been pointed out that you and I are both off topic. I'm not the only one. The topic is the fact that the OP is pissed off about being bait and switched and that he doesn't want NAV. He has 2 options. Get a better deal and get the car with NAV or go to another dealer. I'm off topic. So are you. Can we end this? BTW you can think you're all that since you drive an oh so godly Lexus. I drive one too. I don't look over at the driver of a civic and think "Get out of my way. My car is worth more than yours." Oh yea.... since $2,550 is a little money to you... please send some over to me. I can use it to get some rims.

Just in case you think I'm the only one off topic... let me clarify.
Someone said $2,000 isn't really worth the worry on a $40k car. I say it does. We both have our arguements and I respect them both. In the end, both sides are off topic. Just because I disagree with your view or someone elses does not make me off topic and the other person not off topic.

Last edited by RshaoKh; 03-06-06 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-06-06, 10:44 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Default we can end this whenever you are ready

$2,550 isn't a lot to JUST me. Hint hint.
No offense but just because you own a Lexus, especially an entry level luxury car, does not entitle you to being in the "upper class." In other words, you ain't that rich. If you're so rich since $2,550 is not worth much to you go buy a better car. I'm taking it that you got this car not for a luxury sedan since that's not the point of this vehicle. Go buy a S class or something like my dad. Or get a 7 Series.

I think it's been pointed out that you and I are both off topic. I'm not the only one. The topic is the fact that the OP is pissed off about being bait and switched and that he doesn't want NAV. He has 2 options. Get a better deal and get the car with NAV or go to another dealer. I'm off topic. So are you. Can we end this? BTW you can think you're all that since you drive an oh so godly Lexus. I drive one too. I don't look over at the driver of a civic and think "Get out of my way. My car is worth more than yours." Oh yea.... since $2,550 is a little money to you... please send some over to me. I can use it to get some rims.
Gheez, you're hopeless. Ok, $2,550 is a fair amount of money, it's a pretty good sum. But I wouldn't cry if let's say I lost $2,000 gambling in Las Vegas. It's all relatvie man, c'mon. If my bank account was missing $2k, I would be mad. If I wrote a $2k check and I lost it, I would be upset. If there was an fradulent charge on my credit card for $2k, I would be concerned. Is that what you mean by "a lot of money?"

You're right, I'm OT and I've missed the point too. If the dealership had presented him the exact same car but the sticker was $2k higher, I would say that was unfair and there is no way you should give the dealership another $2k for the same car that is $2k less last month. That's too much money to leave on the table. $2k is too much money to just let it go. You happy now? $2k is too much to just **** into the wind for no good reason.

And for the record, I don't want those other cars. I don't think like that, what's the highest price car I can afford. I want the IS. I got the IS. That's all I wanted. For the record, I paid MSRP so I probably paid on average $2k more for my car than the new guy. Why? Probably because the $2k for this deal and this time just didn't mean as much to me as it means to you. Don't hate me, I'm just tell you the truth. And I wasn't going to let "a mere $2k plus Nav for a net of about $500" cause me to walk away....nevermind.

P.S. Why do you spend so much time trying to put this car in it's place, trying to classify it and then charactize the buyer based on that classification. You don't know me.
Old 03-06-06, 12:16 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if I have offended you in any way. Someone made a comment of "if a $2,000 option is an issue to you on a $40k car then maybe you should be looking at a Kia." Rather than deferring the OP a solution to his problem I tried to bring it back on topic. "Looking at a Kia" is not a solution for the OP. Also, I think that the NAV is a great option for $2,550. I wouldn't mind paying that much since it's OEM and I tend to trust OEM more than aftermarket. My arguement isn't that NAV is a waste of $2,550. My arguement is that to lots of people it's not worth it and in THIS CASE, the OP, obviously does not want it. People said that $2,550 isn't really worth that much on a $40k car. That's true but it still depends on the person. In this case, the $2,550 probably isn't worth it. You gave your oppinion that $2,550 shouldn't matter. I gave mine. I respect your oppinion. All I did was defend the OP and give another point of view of why $2,550 DOES matter in different situations. You don't know me either so don't say that $2,550 is a lot only to me. In fact, I didn't buy my IS350. My dad did. If I wanted I could've made him get me NAV and waste his $2,550 but I didn't because NAV is useless to me. In my situation the $2,550 is nothing to me since it's not my money. However, I do realize that $2,550 is still a lot of money even if it's not mine. Also, I'm not "putting this car in its place." You have to keep in mind that MANY potential and current IS buyers/owners aren't the richest people in the world. They don't all have $2,550 for a NAV even if it's a good or bad deal.

P.S. I'm glad none of this resorted to name calling. I've seen other forums where people started cussing and calling each other names.
Old 03-06-06, 04:04 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

P.S. I'm glad none of this resorted to name calling. I've seen other forums where people started cussing and calling each other names.
Me, too. Sometimes it's good to get it out and have the good discussion but in the end I respect your opinion on the this also...and that's all that matter. We just agree to disagree.
Old 03-07-06, 01:38 PM
carnac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rockville
If you don't like the Navigation ( it will grow on you ) then it is easier to find the less expensive model. The problem is that you are also giving up the Mark Levinson. The Pioneer system isn't bad and has 13 speakers. Lexus doesn't offer the Mark Levinson the way you want it. The dealer had no control over this. If they will give you a better discount I suggest you take it. If not then reset and go for the std. model and std. sound system. Your choice.

I mentioned the part about the DVD as it demonstrates the sound system the best. Blue Man group is an audio DVD that also has 6.1 surround sound which you can listen to while driving. It's just that a lot of people have never heard a DVD-A surround sound playback but everyone has been to the movies and heard surround sound special effects. The screen is VGA and the best resolution ever offerred. Back up camera is crisp and bright.

Everyone is calling this an entry level luxury car...This car is so hot that we have people gawking at it all day and waiting to test drive. It has just as nice an interior as the flagship LS430. If you get the IS350 you get the highest performance Lexus to date. About 5 employees at the dealership have already purchased or leased the IS. More are waiting for the right color and equipment or special ordering. Lexus changed their mind about the Mark Levinson install and your order got caught in the process...The Nav with Mark Levinson is off the hook. Rims are nice too but you can add them anytime. You can't add Nav or Mark Levinson surround sound...Your going to love it if you get it. The dealer will take a day or two to sell your special order if you back out and they'll probably get list due to scarcity.

Rock
The thing that Pisses me off is they did not get back with me after saying that I could order it without the Nav. and Just get the M.L. and after waiting 90-Days
Its not the Money, its the principal of it, They think Where just a bunch A-Holes out here that buys
there cars, and they can treat you like Sh&% !
Old 03-07-06, 01:45 PM
tdog09
Driver

Originally Posted by carnac
The thing that Pisses me off is they did not get back with me after saying that I could order it without the Nav. and Just get the M.L. and after waiting 90-Days
Its not the Money, its the principal of it, They think Where just a bunch A-Holes out here that buys
there cars, and they can treat you like Sh&% !

I agree with you on this, as alot of them do think we are all ! But to be fair I do suppose there are good ones out there, sorry man!
Old 03-07-06, 02:57 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

It isn't about the money It's the principle right? Well stick it to Lexus and buy something else.