IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bait and Switch

Old 03-03-06, 06:08 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Not a bait and switch really....

but an upsell. The Nav costs $2,550. The Mark Levinson with the DVD player costs an additional $500 because it can play DVD movies, DVD-audio in DTS and Dolby formats. Originally when the IS was released there were two Mark Levinson packages. This caused some confusion and then Lexus simplified the situation by only making the DVD head unit paired with the Mark Levinson. The dealer had nothing to do with this decision. They were given this information from the factory and acted in good faith. They did not advertise some special model at a low price and then try to switch Carnac when he arrived to purchase it. A dealer does not make $3,000 profit on $3050 in equipment.

Now it just so happens that those who know this car well realize that these are the most coveted options to have as they give you home theater surround sound, back up camera and the latest Bluetooth system from Lexus. Believe me, in five years people will still want this system on the pre -owned lot. The next most popular features are the HID BiXenons and the illuminated scuff plates. Did I forget the 18" wheels?

One of my customers came by that just picked up his special ordered IS350 with the same options. I asked him if he had played a DVD movie on it yet. He said he played Mr and Mrs Smith and that at the end with the helicopters and explosions he almost couldn't believe he was in his car anymore.

Carnac, the one that you ordered is a much lesser version and the value added is substantial by what came in from the factory. You will enjoy the car more then the one you thought you ordered. If they throw in a discount you will come away the winner. I promise you won't regret it.

Rock

Last edited by Rockville; 03-04-06 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-03-06, 07:09 PM
Kermee
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
Actually, he's right. I remember vividly reading somewhere that the residuals on an IS with and without NAV were the same whether or not it had NAV. By residuals I mean the value of the car that is calculated at the end of the lease. NAV made NO difference in the residual value of a car.
The residual percentages were adjusted last month for leases. Having NAV or not having NAV no longer affects the residual percentage thru LFS/TMCC. It is now higher of the two residual percentages.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 03-03-06, 07:12 PM
casey225
Pole Position

I say buy the car, but make them give you NAV at their cost. Since you didn't order it, you shouldn't have to buy it, but, if you can get them to go for it, I think you both win.
Old 03-03-06, 09:13 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

I would tell them if they wil reduce the price of the car by the invoice price of the navigation (Essentially, absorb the cost of the nav. ) then you will buy it and if not go to another dealer and order the car you want , no nav, and you will get it . And you might get a better deal than full price too, BTW.

Lexus corperate clearly want to sell the cars with nav and have steered the online info and information given via thier 1-800 toward nav and ML not being seperable.

Either they honestly screwed up the order (quite possible) or they are trying to put one over on you (also possible, but IMO, less likely)

So if you really have an aversion to nav order another or try and get a sweet deal on the one at hand.

You have the power with the money in your pocket.
Old 03-03-06, 09:35 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Fact of the matter is, the car with nav is a hot commodity right now. The dealer is in a position where they don't have to, and likely won't, be very flexible. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to resubimt a new order. I think your best case would be to try and negotiate the nav option at invoice cost ($2168 vs $2550).
Old 03-04-06, 02:08 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lcarr
If NAV busts you, you're looking at the wrong car. Try KIA.
Actually, I think NAV for $100,000+ cars cost just as much as well... No offense to anyone but the IS isn't anything close to a high end luxury car. It's an entry luxury car... Lexus says so themselves. Since it's an entry luxury model I think a lot of people who can't afford SL55's or cars that expensive buy cars like these. Most people don't have money to throw around and work hard to save up for cars. Saying that NAV busting you doesn't mean that they shouldn't be looking at the IS. Iono about everyone else but if I had the money I'd rather get like a SL55 or something WITH NAV. I kind of agree with the fact that the NAV doesn't add THAT much resale value. NAV probably does add SOME resale value later but that depends on the person buying the IS. If you think buying NAV for $x,xxx is worth adding like $xxx later on, then go for it. Also, the NAV is useless for some people because they don't even know how to use it or get lazy after their initial honeymoon of a month or so. I mean we have people out there who barely know how to drive.... let alone use the NAV. C'mon Lexus even had to put that stupid warning message when you start up the car on the NAV to prevent idiots from sueing them for their stupidity. I remember when my dad first got NAV he would play with it a lot for a month or two. He knew how to get everywhere but he still used it. After those 1-2 months he simply stopped using it because he was too lazy or he didn't need it. If someone doesn't think NAV is worth wasting money on then that doesn't mean he shouldn't be looking at this car.... it's not like he's buying a $1,000,000 car and complaining about buying $100 floor mats.
Old 03-04-06, 07:54 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^No one is saying that the new car buyer shouldn't be making a choice about nav or no nav because it is their decision. What we are saying is if your particular deal turned out to include nav and it wasn't your choice, the fact that nav is included and it costs a bit more shouldn't necessarily or automatically shut down the deal for you. it SHOULDN'T in this class of car. if you don't like the way nav looks or you hate your dealer for going against your wishes, ok then....but if you are paying $40k cash outright or you are financing and you can't come up with either an add'l $2k or few more $$$ a month to "bite the bullet" and keep your sweet deal alive, I AGREE you are getting in over your head financial-wise.

Imagine if your friend was buying a honda civic and the sitcker was $17,500 and the dealer has a car for him that was $18,100 because it has the 8-disc cd changer instead of indash 1-cd front loader, your friend complains to you that the dealer "screwed him" and he could have to pay $9 a month, you laugh right?....well, not quite the same but you understand.
Old 03-04-06, 09:39 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
Imagine if your friend was buying a honda civic and the sitcker was $17,500 and the dealer has a car for him that was $18,100 because it has the 8-disc cd changer instead of indash 1-cd front loader, your friend complains to you that the dealer "screwed him" and he could have to pay $9 a month, you laugh right?....well, not quite the same but you understand.
A few months ago I would've laughed but now I realize that money is hard to come by, even if it's just $100 or $2,000. In this case, that $2,000 could be used for emergency medical attention for your kids, a new washing machine at home, etc. Just because someone has those kinds of problems to worry about doesn't mean they should not get the IS or any other Lexus because they're in over their head in financial terms. As long as they can make the payments, pay the utilities, and put food on the table then they deserve an IS just as much. What you're saying is correct when it comes to being rational, but in reality some people don't justify the $2,000 for a device that they probably won't need or use. $9 a month doesn't seem like a lot to you or me but to less fortunate people it does. I see people all the time with expensive and not so expensive cars without options that would've costed them little. I think they still make some cars without power seating or power windows... There are people out there who won't pay that "$9/mo" to save some money anyway. Sounds stupid, but we all do stupid things.

Finally, "this class of a car," is what my whole reply was about. Once again this car isn't some high end luxury car. It is an entry level luxury car. If this was a GS or S500 or some other non-sporty model then I guess NAV would make more sense. Not everyone who has an IS has money to spare. If I had the money I would rather get some nice rims and tires than a NAV. I know that no ones making a decision for him about getting the NAV or not. This is the internet and people go online to seek advice, oppinions, and confirmation. If we could strike the buyer with a lightning bolt if he didn't listen to us, then we would be making a decision for him...

Last edited by RshaoKh; 03-04-06 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-04-06, 10:16 AM
LexAppeal
Rookie

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
A few months ago I would've laughed but now I realize that money is hard to come by, even if it's just $100 or $2,000. In this case, that $2,000 could be used for emergency medical attention for your kids, a new washing machine at home, etc. Just because someone has those kinds of problems to worry about doesn't mean they should not get the IS or any other Lexus because they're in over their head in financial terms. As long as they can make the payments, pay the utilities, and put food on the table then they deserve an IS just as much. What you're saying is correct when it comes to being rational, but in reality some people don't justify the $2,000 for a device that they probably won't need or use. $9 a month doesn't seem like a lot to you or me but to less fortunate people it does. I see people all the time with expensive and not so expensive cars without options that would've costed them little. I think they still make some cars without power seating or power windows... There are people out there who won't pay that "$9/mo" to save some money anyway. Sounds stupid, but we all do stupid things.

Finally, "this class of a car," is what my whole reply was about. Once again this car isn't some high end luxury car. It is an entry level luxury car. If this was a GS or S500 or some other non-sporty model then I guess NAV would make more sense. If I had the money I would rather get some nice rims and tires than a NAV. I know that no ones making a decision for him about getting the NAV or not. This is the internet and people go online to seek advice, oppinions, and confirmation. If we could strike the buyer with a lightning bolt if he didn't listen to us, then we would be making a decision for him...

I agree with ya. This is an entry level luxury car and it's his money. Who is that poster to insult him and tell him to downgrade to a Kia of all cars. He doesn't know this person or his financial situation. Maybe he would rather spend the extra money on something else for his car. I personally have a portable garmin GPS for 450 bucks and of course it looks wretched compared to an in dash unit but it gets the job done.
Old 03-04-06, 11:43 AM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by Rockville
One of my customers came by that just picked up his special ordered IS350 with the same options. I asked him if he had payed a DVD movie on it yet. He said he played Mr and Mrs Smith and that at the end with the helicopters and explosions he almost couldn't believe he was in his car anymore.
Sorry, OT for the thread, but I'm just curious. Does anyone really make a habit of sitting with their car in park and watching a whole 2-hour movie? I have been tempted to try it just for grins, but it seems like you would burn up a lot of gas or battery juice. Frankly, though it's cool to say you have it, I question the usefulness of the IS's DVD video play feature.

(Yes, yes, I'm well aware of the "Nav hack." I won't be doing that for several reasons: (1) I'm not ripping up my car. (2) I have no desire to watch movies when I'm supposed to be driving nor respect for people who do. (3) My passengers are required to listen to my music. )
Old 03-04-06, 12:12 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carnac
Well Lexus has lost another Customer because of there BullS*&#
End result, I’m going back and forth with the dealers on the price.
I don't quite understand. If you are so upset that Lexus has lost you as a customer, why still buyt the car.

Don't get me wrong. The IS is a very nice car and I encourage you to not judge the car by the experience with this one dealership. I agree with the others on the pros and cons of the Nav but for me, if possible, I will not by another car without Nav. I don't use mine everyday but it sure comes in handy when I do, which is maybe every other day. Before I had Nav, I did not think it was a must have either.

If you can work out something with the dealer to get this car with Nav, I'd say go for it.
Old 03-04-06, 01:46 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

When you're spending $40,000+ for a car, what's the extra $2,550 going to do? Treat yourself and get the Navigation System. It's voice-activated, touch-screen, has Bluetooth technology, and a backup camera. For the price, you can't lose.
Old 03-04-06, 02:02 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Think of it this way....

Pretend you're going to buy a new table for $1,000. When you get to the counter and you're about to pay for the table the cashier whispers to you "Pssttt... hey! You can buy this exact same table for $10 less if you go down two blocks." Most people would think "Yea ok whatever... I'm spending $1,000 on a table. Screw saving $10. It's so little."

Now pretend you're going to buy a $70 calculator. Now the same thing happens and the cashier whispers to you that you can get the same calculator for $10 less down two blocks. Most people would do this because saving $10 out of $70 seems like a lot.

What's wrong with this problem? In both cases you're saving $10. Doesn't matter what % of the total cost you saved. In the end you end up with $10. Now why do people not bother walking two blocks to save $10 for the $1,000 table? That's not thinking rationally. The $10 you save from buying the table can buy the same amount as the $10 you save from buying the calculator. I think the buyer in this IS350 case doesn't really see the need for a navigator so spending $2,000+ doesn't mean much to him. That $2,000+ can easily buy new rims... maybe even with tires. Also, if $2,000+ doesn't mean much on a $40k+ car... then why do people bargain and brag about saving x dollars or say that someone else got ripped off? I mean.... if you're buying a $40k+ car screw bargaining. If you're going to spend so much on a car don't be cheap and fork it over! Same type of reasoning goes for the NAV.

I'm not trying to say that everyone who thinks adding a NAV doesn't mean much for a $40k car is wrong. I'm just saying that money matters for a lot of people. It makes perfect mathematical sense to buy the NAV but in reality people have emotions and values. Unfortunately emotions and math don't go together too well in the world.

Last edited by RshaoKh; 03-04-06 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-04-06, 03:22 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
Think of it this way....

Pretend you're going to buy a new table for $1,000. When you get to the counter and you're about to pay for the table the cashier whispers to you "Pssttt... hey! You can buy this exact same table for $10 less if you go down two blocks." Most people would think "Yea ok whatever... I'm spending $1,000 on a table. Screw saving $10. It's so little."

Now pretend you're going to buy a $70 calculator. Now the same thing happens and the cashier whispers to you that you can get the same calculator for $10 less down two blocks. Most people would do this because saving $10 out of $70 seems like a lot.

What's wrong with this problem? In both cases you're saving $10. Doesn't matter what % of the total cost you saved. In the end you end up with $10. Now why do people not bother walking two blocks to save $10 for the $1,000 table? That's not thinking rationally. The $10 you save from buying the table can buy the same amount as the $10 you save from buying the calculator. I think the buyer in this IS350 case doesn't really see the need for a navigator so spending $2,000+ doesn't mean much to him. That $2,000+ can easily buy new rims... maybe even with tires. Also, if $2,000+ doesn't mean much on a $40k+ car... then why do people bargain and brag about saving x dollars or say that someone else got ripped off? I mean.... if you're buying a $40k+ car screw bargaining. If you're going to spend so much on a car don't be cheap and fork it over! Same type of reasoning goes for the NAV.

I'm not trying to say that everyone who thinks adding a NAV doesn't mean much for a $40k car is wrong. I'm just saying that money matters for a lot of people. It makes perfect mathematical sense to buy the NAV but in reality people have emotions and values. Unfortunately emotions and math don't go together too well in the world.
I'm almost sure you don't know what you are talking about.

Post another example again so I can know for sure.

And stay with THIS situation on this topic to prove your point, not some made up situation that we all know the answer to which doesn't prove the point at all.
Old 03-04-06, 04:28 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Umm... Saving $2,000+ on a $40,000 car is the same as saving $2,000+ on a $10,000 car. In the end you're saving $2,000+. It doesn't matter how much the car costs. His arguement of "what's the extra $2,550 going to do?" is meaningless. Money is money. $2,550 is still $2,550. Just because the car is $40,000 does not mean that the $2,550 is worth less simply because the car in itself is so expensive. I've said this over and over. I used a different situation to make it more simple for you. How do you know that I don't know what I'm talking about. If you don't understand then don't make the assumption that I'm confused. I'm sorry if what I said didn't make sense TO YOU. I've stuck with this topic 2 times before. I thought I would use a different example the third time since you've misunderstood it twice before.

If he thinks $2,550 is nothing on a $40,000 car then why do so many people get aftermarket HIDs on this car? I mean they spent $40,000 on a car... why not get the luxury package so they have HIDs stock? Why do people try so hard to get the best price out of their buy when they get around $1-2,000 off msrp. Isn't that the price of a NAV? As you can see, $2,550 is still A LOT EVEN TO IS350 BUYERS.

Last edited by RshaoKh; 03-04-06 at 04:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bait and Switch