Looking to get new IS250--some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 08:49 PM
DAL-TSX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get new IS250--some questions

Hello everyone -

I'm looking to get a new IS250 and have some questions I'd like to ask of the forum. First of all, let me tell you that I'm deciding between this and the BMW 325i.

I've test driven both, and have to agree that the Bimmer is an awesome car to drive...like nothing else I've driven (that I can afford!). But, the interior of the Lexus blows the BMW away! I currently own an Acura TSX w/ navigation system, and I love my car. But my lease is up soon, and I don't want to get the same car again. I think the Lexus is more like my TSX on the inside, and since I spend a lot of time driving to/from work, I figure I might as well have a car that's comfortable and that I enjoy. But still the BMW is awesome...at this point though, I think I'm leaning toward the Lexus.

The BMW w/ all of the options I would want is topping out at right under $40K, while the IS is at $36,500. No matter which one I get, I'll be leasing for either 36 or 39 mos. w/ 12K miles. Trying to get my payments at around $550.

So, what are some of your thoughts on pricing? The cars overall? Anyone else compare the 2 when buying?

Also, some questions about the IS250:
- The car is prepped for XM, but you still have to get a reciever for it to work, correct?
- How is the ipod connection? Do you just plut it in? Can't control through nav though, right?
- Are Xenon lights standard?
- Does anyone have thoughts about leasing through a leasing company versus directly through the dealer? I've been speaking with a guy who leased me my last car, and he can help me get the new car by going through him (he has other sources rather than going through the dealer). My question is how does it work, since he'll deliver the car to me instead of going through the dealer orientation about the car. Thoughts?

Sorry for the long posting, but any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-06, 10:34 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

A friend of mine recently went through the same decsison process. After driving the IS, TL, and 325 she thought the 325 was her favorite. In terms of purchasing and/or leasing the 325 was cheaper because of the 2.9% financing and the incredible residual on the BMW. The actual prices of the cars were similar as well because the BMW is discounted and the IS is hot right now.

In the end however, she ended up with the IS. Last night after driving an 03 325 she decided that she wanted a "quieter" car. The IS is plenty sporty for her and the fact that she keeps her cars for 150K makes me feel better that she chose the IS over the 325 as well.

You certainly can not beat the interior of the IS as well - a work of art if you ask me.
Old 03-02-06, 12:22 AM
AndrewDC
Rookie

Since you are leasing, I guess you can almost throw reliability out the window - something that brings me back to Lexus.

There is a bit of novelty, however, in having a car as unique as the IS - inside and out. The IS is also definitely capable in handling, though it's no BMW.

There is an auxilary input for your iPod, but you cannot control it with the car's audio functions (I have a remote control that does a decent job... plus I can plug in my Shuffle when I want to listen to it, which is nice). Also, HIDs are not standard.
Old 03-02-06, 12:41 AM
xaden
Driver School Candidate

xenons are not standard unfortunately. they come with either the Luxury or Sport Package, both of which are extremely rare on a 250, even through special ordering. most people go with an aftermarket HID kit.
Old 03-02-06, 01:06 AM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Get the IS 250......funny but the Seats are what did it for me. Man I love the interior of my 350, I just wih I had got the NAV now.
Old 03-02-06, 03:30 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

I don't think leasing necessarily precludes taking reliability into account. I can't imagine a case where I'd be stranded on the side of the road and think, "well, this is fine, it's a lease".
Old 03-02-06, 10:27 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xaden
xenons are not standard unfortunately. they come with either the Luxury or Sport Package, both of which are extremely rare on a 250, even through special ordering. most people go with an aftermarket HID kit.
Yeah. Luxury and Sport Package most likely have to be special ordered for IS 250 RWD. But it looks like the new allocations of IS 250 AWD's, at least for the NW, are ALL Luxury packaged. (AWD, worthless in CA and TX for sure). Looks like you cannot get an IS 250 AWD currently WITHOUT getting the Luxury package.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 03-02-06, 06:57 PM
Spy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndrewDC
There is an auxilary input for your iPod, but you cannot control it with the car's audio functions (I have a remote control that does a decent job... plus I can plug in my Shuffle when I want to listen to it, which is nice). Also, HIDs are not standard.
I believe the BMW also has the aux input for an iPod/MP3 player. I'm glad more manufaturers are starting to realize many people rather have this than a 6 disc CD changer.
Old 03-02-06, 07:17 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DAL-TSX
- The car is prepped for XM, but you still have to get a reciever for it to work, correct?
Correct. XM is not yet available as a factory-installed option. It is, however, available as a dealer-installed option right now.
Old 03-04-06, 10:09 PM
DAL-TSX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the info guys.

So I pretty much have/had my mind made up on the Lexus over the BMW...and I go to pick up my dry cleaning yesterday and this Black BMW 325 w/ Sport/Premium packages and navigation parked next to me...and the car was SWEEEETTT! I talked to the lady driving it and she said she'd had it for 2 wks and loved it.

I told her I was looking at both but one of my main deciding factors was the run flat tires on the bmw. I'm currently having a house built and it's inevitable that I'll turn over a few nails before it's done (6 months from now). From what I understand, the tire has to totally be replaced even if it has just a nail in it, can anyone confirm? The Lexus isn't like that, correct?

Let me ask another question. How are the tires on the IS?
Old 03-04-06, 10:27 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I understand, the tire has to totally be replaced even if it has just a nail in it, can anyone confirm? The Lexus isn't like that, correct?
The tire has to be replaced. All run-flat tires can keep going at up to 60 mph for one hour after a puncture, but it still needs to be replaced. This is pretty standard across the industry.

How are the tires on the IS?
Summer tires (18") are better performing but are a bit noisy for Lexus standards. Also, people that have experienced inclement weather say that they perform poorly in snow or heavy rain.

All Season tires (17") are good (not great) with performance and is a little more comfortable. I don't know about road noise; no one has complained about that yet.
Old 03-05-06, 07:32 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all of the info guys.

So I pretty much have/had my mind made up on the Lexus over the BMW...and I go to pick up my dry cleaning yesterday and this Black BMW 325 w/ Sport/Premium packages and navigation parked next to me...and the car was SWEEEETTT! I talked to the lady driving it and she said she'd had it for 2 wks and loved it.

I told her I was looking at both but one of my main deciding factors was the run flat tires on the bmw. I'm currently having a house built and it's inevitable that I'll turn over a few nails before it's done (6 months from now). From what I understand, the tire has to totally be replaced even if it has just a nail in it, can anyone confirm? The Lexus isn't like that, correct?

Let me ask another question. How are the tires on the IS?
The tires on the IS are run-flats as well.
Old 03-05-06, 10:31 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Any proof to this? I have not seen any writen articals that back this up. I have also not been told that by anyone else. Is this suposed to be the case for both the 17 and 18inch wheels? Or which wheels are suposed to have this? thanks JIM
Old 03-05-06, 11:19 PM
Kailua250
Driver

Originally Posted by doug_999
Not true.
Old 03-05-06, 11:32 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kailua250
Not true.
Thats what i thought. I just ran threw the tire specs for all the 250's and 350's and no where on the www.lexus.com site does it say run flat. Thats also why these cars come with a spare tire unlike the BMW 3 series.

Quick Reply: Looking to get new IS250--some questions